Cell Phones

Options
13»

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I am pro-phone, my husband was not so much.

My advice is this: Not a smart phone. Get a pre-paid type of phone. Only allow him use when he's on his way to his friends.

I prefer my son be able to call me on his own phone from school or if he needs to be picked up from his friend if his friend is acting like a jerk (hey, it happens).

If you use pre-paid and it's a smart type phone you can use it as a bargaining chip to get him to do chores to earn $$ for that sucker.

We don't have a home phone either, so a cell is win win.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Also, why would your 8 year old ever be "out and about" in a city, in danger? 8 year olds should always be supervised by a responsible adult.

Yeah. I just don't think a 8 year old would possibly need one. I don't see it as *wrong* just not necessary. I do not let my kids walk to friends house, school or to the park alone.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My kids are 7 and 10. In my area (a nicely set up, apartment complex, with lots of outdoor space, bike riding paths, trees), the kids do all play outside, coming and going, and they walk to school alone. There are lots of kids. They don't need cell phones. If they need to call me, they can go to a friend's house, or they can just walk home (or they send a friend to come get me). They have guidelines of where they are allowed to go on their own and need to check in with me for certain things. I tell them that when all the kids go in for dinner, that means it is time for them to come home for dinner also. I do pick them up from school and walk home together. But, if I am late, they play at the park until I arrive (the school has a phone if needed). There have been times when my older daughter called me from the school and then she walked home on her own (after being late coming back from track). I live in a very large suburb, just outside the city and go into the city daily for dancing, and other things, with and without my kids.

Maybe because I didn't have a cell phone until I was 25 (and pregnant). I'm sure they will get one sooner than that.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    She was allowed a Firefly at 7...It stored 4 numbers and a parental lock in which numbers couldn't be added or removed.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I remember my children asking me for a cell phone because "All their friends had one" and they needed one for safety reasons. I said "you're safe! if you ever need to get a hold of me you easily can, because all your friends have one!"

They were unimpressed with me, but I was proud of my wit. . :laugh: