Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Yes, haven't we lost enough rights already!
    Hey you gave your kids a soda and a snickers!!
    You're just horrible!
    Give me those children, I CAN DO BETTER!!

That is all we need is more BIG Government!
    Pfft!

LMAO!!
    35a6muv.jpg
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    STOP ATTACKING THE OP!

Butthurt-report-form.jpg
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.

I like this idea!!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n32bxzGbAb1tti72eo1_400.gif

I love Maru!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I think we should start licensing pregnancy, so only the people who can afford children and who are physically fit can reproduce.

I like this idea!!!

Crossed my mind several times.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I like this idea!!!

Me too!!!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommending that kids be put into foster care doesn't know the first thing about foster care.

QFT

And also, the fact that anyone would compare a parent whose kid gets overweight to one who is a miserable, despicable, subhuman who beats/belittles/molests their child to try and make themselves feel better, is both ridiculous and incredibly naive, to say the least.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I don't like the labelling of parents as lazy if their children are obese - especially by people who are not parents themselves, as I believe you are not,OP.

If we are going to tackle childhood obesity we need to do it collaboratively - ie working with families without using derogatory terms or apportioning blame. No one responds well to that.

Educating parents to make better choices and to understand nutrition better is more useful, as well as looking at other factors, such as safe areas for children to play outdoors, encouraging physical activity, like sports for everyone not just the ' A graders', providing more nutritious food in school canteens etc.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommending that kids be put into foster care doesn't know the first thing about foster care.

BOOM! Agreed.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I like this idea!!!

What if you don't lose your baby weight quickly enough, though? Should your child be taken away?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I like this idea!!!

Me too!!!

You forget the part about requiring people to take a test before they get on the internets.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    2382504-0465462843-stop-.jpg
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    STOP ATTACKING THE OP!

Butthurt-report-form.jpg

Did you hear about the High School Football coach who was fired for handing these out to his students after they lost a big game?
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

This.

My SIL and her husband are foster parents. They weigh around 500 lbs each. Putting obese kids with them wouldn't help the situation.
  • pikachumeat
    Options
    I totally agree that childhood obesity is a HUGE problem and can definitely constitute abuse. However, I also think it really depends. My cousin does a lot of social work and over the past few years, she's seen all kinds of cases of this matter ranging from:-

"I know what I'm feeding my child is unhealthy but I can't afford healthy food/don't know any other way. I need help."

to

"I really don't give a *kitten* and you should get the hell out of my face."

A lot of the families that got help were able to get their health on track (or are trying to) but my cousin's also seen a 13 year old boy almost three times the weight he should be for his height, age, and activity level. He was bullied and miserable and he acted/felt like his life was all over before it really began. It's really about reaching out to these families and their children with the right kind of help that they need, as well as making resources and knowledge more openly available. (Unfortunately, easier said than done)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2mtdk7GD61qgzemzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6asfnNApy1rm2hhlo1_500.gif

tumblr_n6rldedYVR1s8uxs9o1_500.jpg

"No, your face does." David Spade, Tommy Boy
    Such a good movie! :love:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yea, attacking the parents isn't the solution.

Our problem is that crap food is the food that keeps the longest and is prepackaged for convenience. Convenience usually wins over healthiest. With two parent working families it gets harder and harder to provide fresh fruit and vegetables or even to prepare meals from scratch rather than a drive through at McD or BK.

Our society is JUST as much to blame because we let capitalism do this to us as much as anything else.

So, I don't buy this one. Why aren't sodas, candies, cakes and other obvious luxury junk foods taxed like cigarettes as a simple example.

There are solutions, but blaming parents isn't it.

If my kid was only offered whole and nutritious food, she would starve.... and then I would be charged with neglect... does she eat whole and nutritous food... sure... but not as much as she should... and force feeding a 30 lb bag of snakes in the body of a threenager... yeah, you try and see how that works for you.... I'm lucky if I can get her to eat two bites of anything that consists of homemade meals and snacks.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    OK, last one from me.
    bigkitty.jpg

Photoshopped. That cat would have to have a really wide skull for his ears to look like that...

But I digress. It's obvious that parents' eating habits have a lot to do with children overeating. My stepson, for example, will be very adamant when he's full, even when it's junk food(except last night. Ate 3/4 of an individual pizza and a bowl of nacho chips. Wtf was that??). For the most part, though, he is a healthy eater on his own provided he is presented with healthy foods. But even when he is presented with unhealthy food, he doesn't naturally gorge on them. He has a surprising amount of portion control that I as an adult do not have naturally. It's weird, and I wonder how this works for other kids. Is it just that you become desensitized to eating large amounts of food if you're served them on a regular basis at a young age? I allow him to make a lot of eating decisions on his own, but I have hammered home the point that healthy food makes you feel good. He at age five understands that, but little kids who have been eating mostly junk from the time they were eating solid food may have no idea how much better you feel eating good food than junk because they've eaten mostly junk.

That was a very roundabout way of me saying that yes, of course it's the parents' faults. Not presenting your kids with healthy food and opportunities for exercise because you're lazy is abusive, but it's an insidious type of abuse, so people won't notice it until the kid is already fat and unhealthy.

ETA: Those who have trouble getting their kids to eat healthy: Children really are not the smartest critters on the planet. You can trick them into eating healthy foods just by using cookie cutters or shredding veggies into other foods that hide them(I loved zucchini bread as a kid). I don't have to trick mine into trying new things usually(though when I do, everything is "chicken" or "a new kind of *insert familiar vegetable.*"). He's pretty smart, but he's not THAT smart.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I so agree. So incredibly agree.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

Wait a second? I'm to blame for my fat cat? What do you think I do, hold her down and shove kibble in her mouth?

You know when she got fat? When I took her in, spayed her and forced her into a sedentary indoor lifestyle. Lack of activity kills, but there is no way I could replicate the exercise she got outdoors.
This discussion has been closed.