Ladies, what weight sdo you lift?

Options

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Well, thank you. Your bench is amazing and my goal for this year. I was hoping to hit 300 for my squat by now and have had to slow waaay down on my training. I have patellar femoral syndrome (kneecap tracking incorrectly) so I'm actually in PT for it. I've also had to work through some lower back issues so my deadlift progresses slow.. I'm hoping to hit 325 in my deadlift this year.

Glad to see someone else with a 300+ squat goal for the year. :) My 1RM was that last fall on my I am too lazy to eat at a deficit bulk I did but now I am back down to 260.

I also have lower back issues so my deadlift is horrible compared to yours! How long did it take you to get to where the next day you didn't have soreness, or do you still? That is half the reason I don't progress is I hate the sore muscles the next day when it is my lower back.

I don't generally have muscle soreness unless I take time off and then I will get really sore. I injured my back last summer doing deadlifts when I decided to go for another set after my back started feeling fatigued. I was flat on my back for a good week and then no lifting for 6 more weeks. When, I got back to lifting I was basically starting over again on my deadlift. I progress really slow and make sure my back never get overly fatigued in the area I have back issues. I want all those muscles to stay strong and support my spine. I have to say that the one good thing about having lower back issues is that it has really taught me to keep my form tight. As soon as I slack in form even a little bit, I can feel it.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance/slight deficit (although if you look at my daily intake you'd call me a liar) because I'm lifting 3x a week, training for 30 mins with my trainer 1x a week, and crossfit 1x a week. This is also including teaching swim lessons 4-6 hours a day M-F over the summer. I can't wait to see what my number are like in Sept when my cardio is decreased. Not gonna bulk until November because my sister is getting married in October, gonna try and cut majorly in Sept before the wedding...so I'll see what my body fat % is like when deciding to bulk a bit over the winter or not.

Now that my freaking life story is out of the way...these are my working #'s at 5x5, no 1RM testing yet.

Squats: 125lbs, 85% of BW
    Bench: 85lbs, 57% of BW
    OHP: 70lbs
    DL: 165lbs, 1.1x BW...the .1 is important ;)
  • chjones21
    chjones21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have just started going to the gym (today is my first day). I really enjoyed it altho I didn't know exactly what I was doing. I put 50kgs on the leg press; 30 kgs on a latpulldown; and did three sets of twelve on each.

I took the barbell and put 15kgs (thst is 7.5 on either side) and lifted that from the floor to over my head five times.

I am not sure how that correlates to pounds. I did a chest press thing with 5kgs either side. It's all good I guess. You guys are STRONG.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Well, thank you. Your bench is amazing and my goal for this year. I was hoping to hit 300 for my squat by now and have had to slow waaay down on my training. I have patellar femoral syndrome (kneecap tracking incorrectly) so I'm actually in PT for it. I've also had to work through some lower back issues so my deadlift progresses slow.. I'm hoping to hit 325 in my deadlift this year.

nice--- Hitting a 3 plate squat at some point will be a goal- that's a lot of weight- but I'd like to pull 3 plate DL- THEN angle for the 300+ squats.

I love that we seriously have great lifters on here to encourage- it's motivating to see some goals like that.

thank you as well about the bench... maybe once day I can hit a 2 plate bench!!! :D

because more plates more fun!!!
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bumping to reference as I progress
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love that all you strong ladies are out there. In my gym I have only seen one woman other than me do anything related to weights it makes me so self conscious which is probably why i have only just started doing it. Anyway here are my (sort of) newbie weights an reps in kilograms there not that high yet but give me time!
    Chest press 2x15x20 1x15x25
    Shoulder press 2x15x5 1x15x10
    Lat pull down 2x15x20 1x15x25
    Triceps 2x15x20 1x15x25
    Bicep 2x15x20 1x15x25
    Leg Extensions 2x15x15 1x15x20
    Leg Curls 2x15x20 1x15x25
    Squats 2x15x40 1x15x50
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

nice--- Hitting a 3 plate squat at some point will be a goal- that's a lot of weight- but I'd like to pull 3 plate DL- THEN angle for the 300+ squats.

I love that we seriously have great lifters on here to encourage- it's motivating to see some goals like that.

thank you as well about the bench... maybe once day I can hit a 2 plate bench!!! :D

Lol, definitely more fun. I have a friend who competed in a powerlifting meet over the weekend. She said there was a woman in the 181 weight class that bench pressed 286lbs and pulled a 556lbs deadlift!!! My shero.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting but we use the standard barbell with 20lb attached to it at home.

That's quite challenging for me so I have no idea how you guys are lifting so much.

I usually do 3 sets of 20 reps if I can.

Baby steps.. I guess?

It's challenging because you're doing 20 reps. Heavy lifters do wayyyy fewer reps than that and can therefore lift more weight. I couldn't do a 122 lb squat 20 times in a row, but I can definitely do it 5 times in a row...for 5 sets.

Wanted to add because I didn't see anyone else mention it - at 20 reps per set, you're really working for increasing endurance, not so much increasing strength, though you do that, too. Just more slowly. To train for strength, go as heavy as you can manage 1-8 reps per set. 5 reps is seemingly the most common choice.

My lifts (2 x 9) are now at:

squat - 115 lbs last successful was (2 x 8). Last week I started cutting and totally flubbed squats on my 2 x 9 heavy day.
    bench - 75 lbs
    bent over row - 70 lbs
    OHP - 45 lbs
    SLDL - 115 lbs
    upright row - 40 lbs
    hip thrust - 115 lbs

Been lifting since mid-January.
    current weight is 123 lbs, to give you an idea.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think last week I did:

Bench: 65lbs (5x5)
    Squat: 85lbs (5x5)
    OHP: 30lbs (5x5)- I know that's lame, but I just started doing them. I had a fear of things being over my head (even more lame).
    Deadlifts: heavy set- 165lbs for 2
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Lol, definitely more fun. I have a friend who competed in a powerlifting meet over the weekend. She said there was a woman in the 181 weight class that bench pressed 286lbs and pulled a 556lbs deadlift!!! My shero.

holy schamoly.

and this is why i am trying to cut down to the 150's range. high 160's/170 puts me in the class with these she-bohemoths. I'll get slaughtered!!! And while I'm very amazed at such feets of strength- I do not want compete with it!! LOL

god people are so cool!!!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Wow do I ever feel inferior. Mind you I just started lifting weights at home a few weeks ago

Squat 5x5 @ 25lbs
    DL 1x5 @ 25lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 25lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 25lbs
    BP 5x5 @ 25lbs

I'm doing the Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness.

I started almost a year ago with 5 lb dumbbells. Don't feel inferior at all! That's awesome work :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yay, I just added 20# to my Deadlift today. 285 right now...going for 300 by end of summer!:drinker: It's so exciting to get a new PR. Hope you all are having as much fun today! Rawr love you lady beasts.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Yay, I just added 20# to my Deadlift today. 285 right now...going for 300 by end of summer!:drinker: It's so exciting to get a new PR. Hope you all are having as much fun today! Rawr love you lady beasts.

Awesome! PR's are the best feeling.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use the pink Barbie weights and high reps. I don't want to get bulky.

Aww .. I prefer purple ... 20KG kettlebells :)
  • chjones21
    chjones21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How much does the bar weigh? I just realised that most people count that in (am very new to this) I put weights of 15kg onto the bar ... so thought I was lifting 15kg (the bar weight kinda being a given).
  • karmic_fit
    karmic_fit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just did my 4th day of lifting (i blog it if you want to compare/companion)

Squat: 25lbs 5x5
    Overhead press: 25lbs 5x5
    Deadlift: 35lbs 5x1
    Rows: 35lbs 5x5
    Bench Press: 30lbs 5x5

all these weights include the bar (so since i'm not up to olympic weight yet, i use the 25lb bar and add however much weight to get my total)
    also, i use hand weights instead of the bar for squats and bench press because i can and it uses a tiny bit more muscle to balance.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    45 pound bar is standard in your regular gyms but if you go to an Olympic lifting gym, you will also find women's 15 kg (33 pound bars). This is also the size women use in Crossfit competitions for the most part--has a smaller diameter for smaller hands, too.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    5'51/2 153 lbs

8 weeks lifting
    DL 95x8x2
    Squat 85x8x3
    OHP 40x8x3
    Rows 105x8x3

Haven't tried bench press
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I use the pink Barbie weights and high reps. I don't want to get bulky.

I'm going to punch you with all my big non-bulky muscles I get from lifting heavy weights.

I'm a weakling. I squat and deadlift the bar. My lat pull down is 70, lunges 10 lbs, overhead press 20 lbs, and my rows I can't remember :S. I just started lifting :).