how often should one weight themselbes???

Options
13»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said it..

Weigh every morning at the same time and take a weekly average.

I do this too.

Ditto. Dat data.

When you weigh or if you weigh at all is personal preference OP, one way is not "better" than another other than one thing and that is if you are going to weigh yourself to compare one weight to another you should be consistent in your method. Same time of day, same or at least similar clothes etc.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'll weight myself first thing in the morning whenever I remember to. Sometimes a few days a week?

I try not to overweigh because weight fluctuates. So once a week is probably best.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally personal preference. I weigh most days but I only count Friday. Then I log it no matter what it says, same, up or down.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As a personal preference daily weight in the morning + 7 day interval moving average = very predictable, linear, easy to follow weight loss. Use said trend to make adjustments as needed to stay on track. The way you get hard to predict weight fluctuations is from having not enough data not from having to much data.

I'm sort of a data junky though so its personal preference and I wouldn't tell someone who weighed themselves once a week or not at all that they were somehow doing it wrong.

I do feel for myself though that the daily weigh-in really helps me to keep a hold of it and stay on track and keep at that steady 1.4 pound loss per week.

Weight_moving_average.jpg
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning, every morning, but I only record my weight every Sunday. I know my weight fluctuates daily but I just like making sure it's about the same everyday
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Daily. I spike and drop a lot, so it helps keep me sane to see a solid trend.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I remember in the morning, so sometimes it's daily, sometimes twice a week. I keep track of it with my smartphone app and I update MFP when I've stayed that way for a week or so.

I don't consider it a 'real' weight for MFP if it's just after I've done a run in the morning or immediately after I've been on vacation, although I do put those weights in my smartphone app. Last month I went on vacation for a week, I came back and had gained 4 lbs, despite not eating badly at all. I weighed myself daily that week and dropped about a lb a day until 6 days later I was down 5 lbs from that first just back from vacation weight, and 1 lb from what I had been two weeks before. Since then I've continued to (much more slowly now) drop in weight. That sort of thing happens all the time.