Am I skinny fat?

Options

Replies

• FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    You don't need to see a doctor of any sort nor go to the gym you just need to fix up your diet and make it a high protein diet and do more Calisthenics exercises. This will build your muscles and the protein will feed the muscles and help repair it faster making you look more toned.
  • Thomaslol
    Thomaslol Posts: 42
    Options
    I think I will be happy but just when I see myself as thin not when everyone else sees me as thin. If that makes sense?

But the thing is, you arent seeing yourself objectively... you ARE thin... you cant see that... individuals suffering from anorexia will be dangerously underweight but still see themselves as fat... please speak to your doctor again before you start to really damage your body.

I might mention it again, but I don't think there's anything they can do. It's just who I am.

I was previously 19 stone and lost it over a couple of years. I just cut out my really bad habits. Wasn't perfect with my diet but did lots of exercise.

I don't starve myself, far from it. I do eat a lot of junk sometimes but that's probably comfort eating.

Here is when I use to be 19 stone:

http://s8.postimg.org/n3cs3auth/massive.jpg

massive.jpg

I know I have done well, but maybe I am still a bit stuck in the past. I don't know. :s
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    no
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I have just seen a couple of pictures of you in one of your threads and you look thin to me. I think I look fat. I know people think I look skinny, but I really don't see it myself.

Honestly matey, from your pictures I can see that you definitely have a lower body fat percentage than me.

You absolutely do not look fat I promise people are not just saying that.

But I don't think its going to make any difference how many people tell you this. You just can't see it yourself because (I think) you might have a bit of an issue how you perceive your own body in the mirror.

If you have got this issue then its not going to make any difference what exercise / diet / body changes you make. Its not going to affect how you see yourself. You'll never be happy.

Not unless you address the issue in your head. Please consider speaking to somebody about it.

Are you still trying to lose weight? Are you eating at a deficit? Do you know how many calories a day?

I think I will be happy but just when I see myself as thin not when everyone else sees me as thin. If that makes sense?

Yeah I am trying to lose weight. I don't count calories, I just try and be sensible.

I normally try to exercise 5 times a week doing my T25, but I have a cold and bad chest at minute which is really impeding me. I couldn't be bothered to do my workout yesterday, but I did it anyway and was just not where I should be. It's a vicious circle. Doing my exercise makes me feel amazing. Hopefully my cold will clear soon.

Yes but you are already really thin. You may not be able to see it, but you are.

You're not seeing what everyone else is seeing mate.

It doesn't matter how much weight you lose... You still won't be happy because you're still going to think you're fat...

The only way you're going to be able to fix this is by sorting your head out.

Glad to hear you're still eating well. And I hope you really are eating enough. There's nothing wrong with exercising if you enjoy it. But you should be eating well to fuel it.

You should not be trying to lose weight any more in my opinion. Maybe bulk up if you want to look more muscular. But not lose weight.

How much more weight are you trying to lose? What weight would you be happy at?

I know your doctor said you are within healthy weight range, which is good, but if you keep going like this you're going to get into the underweight zone and eventually damage your body, and its not a good look... Beieve me... You will be less happy with that.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I think the same about myself, I'm also slim in clothes but lots of fat when I see myself.. I think it's just that I need to start toning up and doing strengthening exercises.

I made a thread last week about it and someone mentioned the You Are Your Own Gym. I just typed "You Are Your Own Gym PDF free" into google and looked at the results and managed to download the book for free in PDF format. But then I also found the app for it on the app store which has all the exercises, it's like £3 but has videos and voice overs, timers, etc.

Brilliant! Good to know that the YAYOG app is available for my friends across the pond (and at a similarly affordable price). The timers, videos, and guided program (tracks completed workouts, and there's one for each day, very nice UI). Good on its own, or a great add-on for those with the book or DVDs. I won't hesitate to recommend this to anyone, especially "gym shy" folks and those making the transition from "cardio bunny" to "strength builder." Thanks for the info!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Why are people on here so obsessed with the concept of skinny-fat?
  • heiditam
    heiditam Posts: 6
    Options
    You are thin, but I see sone tone, so I say NO to skinny fat. BUT, the definition of skinny fat is when you are a thin size but have a high body fat %. So, for example, if you are wearing a size 28 waist pants but your body fat is 38% fat, then that would make you skinny fat. I am guessing from the looks of it that your body fat is not that high, so just thin--I think you need to be careful not to lose the muscle you have with any diet you use.
  • Thomaslol
    Options

I have just seen a couple of pictures of you in one of your threads and you look thin to me. I think I look fat. I know people think I look skinny, but I really don't see it myself.

Honestly matey, from your pictures I can see that you definitely have a lower body fat percentage than me.

You absolutely do not look fat I promise people are not just saying that.

But I don't think its going to make any difference how many people tell you this. You just can't see it yourself because (I think) you might have a bit of an issue how you perceive your own body in the mirror.

If you have got this issue then its not going to make any difference what exercise / diet / body changes you make. Its not going to affect how you see yourself. You'll never be happy.

Not unless you address the issue in your head. Please consider speaking to somebody about it.

Are you still trying to lose weight? Are you eating at a deficit? Do you know how many calories a day?

Yeah I am trying to lose weight. I don't count calories, I just try and be sensible.

I normally try to exercise 5 times a week doing my T25, but I have a cold and bad chest at minute which is really impeding me. I couldn't be bothered to do my workout yesterday, but I did it anyway and was just not where I should be. It's a vicious circle. Doing my exercise makes me feel amazing. Hopefully my cold will clear soon.

Yes but you are already really thin. You may not be able to see it, but you are.

You're not seeing what everyone else is seeing mate.

It doesn't matter how much weight you lose... You still won't be happy because you're still going to think you're fat...

The only way you're going to be able to fix this is by sorting your head out.

Glad to hear you're still eating well. And I hope you really are eating enough. There's nothing wrong with exercising if you enjoy it. But you should be eating well to fuel it.

You should not be trying to lose weight any more in my opinion. Maybe bulk up if you want to look more muscular. But not lose weight.

How much more weight are you trying to lose? What weight would you be happy at?

I know your doctor said you are within healthy weight range, which is good, but if you keep going like this you're going to get into the underweight zone and eventually damage your body, and its not a good look... Beieve me... You will be less happy with that.

Well when I last weighed myself I was 12 stone 6. I think I would be happy with 10 stone, but I won't know until I get to that point.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well when I last weighed myself I was 12 stone 6. I think I would be happy with 10 stone, but I won't know until I get to that point.

6ft 1 and you want to weigh 140lbs.... That's aiming to be significantly UNDERWEIGHT.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You just need to build muscle and you'll be happy with the way you look. Eat at maintenance or slightly above and lift heavy weights.
  • fredriknetterman
    Options
    No you are not skinny fat, you just don't have any muscle mass. That's why you look the way you look.
  • kikimilabutterfly
    Options
    I don't see any fat? I think you just need to bulk up and start gradually lifting heavy weights, dumbbells really won't do all that much.
    Eat clean, and add some more protein in your diet chicken,fish,whey, etc..
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    You don't want to be 10 stone, that's gonna make you really underweight and honestly you would not be happy with your appearance.

Where did you get this number from?

At one point you said you want to look like tom Daley. Well I just checked and he weighs 11st 9.... And is shorter than you at 5ft 10.... So his bmi is 23.6

.... If you got down to 10 stone your bmi would 18.5 ... You wouldn't look good.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You are fine the way you are. You just still see yourself as how you looked before. It's really difficult after you lose a lot of weight to see anything but the "fat kid" you left behind. No matter how much weight you lose, until you finally have that ah-ha moment, you will still see you as the old you. I know I still do. I've lost 50lbs total from what I weighed a long time ago but I still see that image of me. It's hard to change that image but take pictures of yourself. It's easier to see changes in pictures than in the mirror because the mirror is still your cloudy glasses. Pictures don't lie, you aren't skinny fat, you're just like my husband, plain old skinny. If you want to change that, lift weights like everyone has suggested - it will recomp your body and you'll be happier I'm sure with how you look.

You should really talk to someone about your body image issues. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this because I won't do it myself even though I need to. You will always be you, but a happier, healthier you. You body will change, eventually your mind will follow, and you'll be happy. Just know, no matter what you change about yourself, unless you fix the foundation, that pretty house you've built still is weakened. Talk to someone and build a strong foundation.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Not even close to skinny fat. Listen to the masses: You want to look better(whatever your definition is)? Eat more and lift!
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I will struggle to buy some weights this month. If I can't buy them this month then I will get some next month.

I was thinking of getting these to start with: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barbell-Set-60kg-Triceps-Curl-Bar-Weight-Plate-Weightlifting-Training-/291143145470?pt=UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item43c97bd7fe

And a bench and work myself from there. I will still do my T25 workouts as they do use strength training etc, burpees, lunges, push ups, weights etc so will still help me.

Yeah I think I still see myself as how I was before. It's a shame I didn't ever take any pictures with my clothes off when I was 19 stone as I would really be able to compare then.

I don't know why I think 10 stone, but I suppose it's just because then I will weigh less and have less fat? If that makes sense.

I sound mad but I can't help how I feel.
  • Thomaslol
    Options
    I don't fill in my food for the day, but my current values are:

1,920 240 64 96 2,300 72
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Suga

Does that seem right?
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I read your previous thread mate and you said you might have an issue with body image.

Did you see anyone about that, or get it under control?

I've had a similar thing, thought I was fat, I just stopped eating. It left me depressed and ended up in counselling.

So maybe if this is something that's affecting you mentally it would really help to address that issue...

(I hope you don't mind me saying)

No I haven't really got it under control. Don't know how to other than to try and change my body. I suppose that's all I can do really.

Nope, you need to change your head first, NOT your body.

This ^^ You are never going to be happy with your body if you don't change your thoughts first.. you need to find some help, perhaps contact your doctors office and ask for some recommendations for someone to talk to about your body image issues.

As for the gym.. absolutely don't worry about other people, they are not the least bit interested in what you are doing.. they are too busy getting their own workout done!! Add to that, that they will be stoked to see a new person getting in on the action :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't fill in my food for the day, but my current values are:

1,920 240 64 96 2,300 72
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Suga

Does that seem right?

I don't think 1900 is enough given your stars. Is that what mfp gives you to lose 1lb per week?
  • mr_mitch
    Options

Yeah I think I still see myself as how I was before. It's a shame I didn't ever take any pictures with my clothes off when I was 19 stone as I would really be able to compare then.

I don't know why I think 10 stone, but I suppose it's just because then I will weigh less and have less fat? If that makes sense.

I sound mad but I can't help how I feel.

I think you are still seeing yourself at the weight you were before..... you don't need an old picture with your clothes off, I can see from the before and after picture you posted how much you've changed.... I'm sure you can see that you've lost a lot of weight.. but you need to be able to see how thin you are.... and that you don't need to lose more weight.

10 stone would be far too thin for you..... I looked ill when I was 10 stone, and you're a fair bit taller than me so you'd look worse.

....obviously you will weigh less, and have less fat, but you would also have less lean muscle.... your stomach would most likely stick out and trust me mate, you wouldn't be happy.

you don't sound mad, you've just got a bit of a distorted perception of yourself.... it seems to be quite common with people when they've been overweight most of their life and then slim down.... its kind of like your head has not yet caught up with your body yet. its not an uncommon thing to happen to girls or guys.

I put your details into a TDEE calculator, and assuming you work out for 5 -6 hours a week then you need to be eating then you would need to eat 3120 calories per day to maintain your weight.

do you think you're eating close to that amount per day??