Am I skinny fat?

Options

Replies

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Am I just blind then because I see something completely different with my body?

I just see so much fat, especially in my mid-section which I really don't like.

The 'You Are Your Own Gym' etc, can you buy them on disc? I have looked on YouTube, but there isn't a great deal. I am in the UK.

Thanks.

Yes. I think you are. We all are to a degree. But you seem to be seeing fat that just isn't there. Most people would agree that you're quite thin.

You can buy them online. I bought you are your own gym last night.. You can order the DVD set off Amazon. For £18

Or you can just download / stream them all from http://s23.postimg.org/ezlxh0rwb/front.jpg

That costs about £12 (I used PayPal)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    To me you just look skinny. If you don't like your physique because you lack defined musculature it is probably just that you don't have very much muscle, ie your lean mass is quite low. In that case you should probably eat above your maintenance level and lift heavy to try to gain weight in the form of muscle.

You are not "fat" in any way though as far as I can tell. Perhaps a bit scrawny and I don't mean that as an insult just as a blunt observation, I too am a bit scrawny but I actually do have a bit of a gut to lose before I try to put on muscle. To my eyes you don't have a gut to lose so time to start eating more and lifting heavy.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hmm yes you are skinny fat... but really skinny fat is just code speak for not toned... Just do some weight training and tighten everything up because your actually body fat is probably in a healthy range percentage wise just going from looks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

And me I'm a nerdy geeky I.T guy who has never been remotely athletic.

Because of this, I have just started doing you are your own gym, which gets great reviews, so I hope it can live up to its reputation!

Maybe you should try out something like this OP, rather than as much cardio.

Nerdy, geeky math girl here, lol! I second the YAYOG program. The app is all you'll pretty much need ($3USD, super inexpensive), plus some furniture around your house (chair, table, door, and a towel). It progresses through three 10-week programs (Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced). Best $3 spent, ever.

I don't have the confidence (not yet) to enter the gym at this point. An organized, progressive bodyweight program will surely net you some gains in strength. For you, I'm no pro at guessing at pics, but I'd say you're at a very reasonably slender weight and a respectively lower body fat %. Eat at maintenance (or slightly above, focusing on lots of protein and good carbs for fuel), and you've got a fighting chance at maintaining or even building a bit of muscle sticking with a progressive strength training program.
  • mr_mitch
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The 'You Are Your Own Gym' etc, can you buy them on disc? I have looked on YouTube, but there isn't a great deal. I am in the UK.

Thanks.

That's not fat, dude. That's skin.

It's fat. I can literally grab a handful.

Its normal tho.

You need some body fat to live. You just don't need loads. And you don't have loads. You're already quite lean
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Yes you are skinnyfat. Please lift some weights. :O
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Yes you are skinnyfat. Please lift some weights. :O
    And get busy eating more. You're not going to add mass without enough calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks.

That's not fat, dude. That's skin.

It's fat. I can literally grab a handful.

It's just a little bit of fat though. No, you aren't 10% body fat, probably more like 14%. But to get any leaner at this point would NOT be an improvement because your muscles are too small.
  • mr_mitch
    Options

Because of this, I have just started doing you are your own gym, which gets great reviews, so I hope it can live up to its reputation!

Nerdy, geeky math girl here, lol! I second the YAYOG program. The app is all you'll pretty much need ($3USD, super inexpensive), plus some furniture around your house (chair, table, door, and a towel). It progresses through three 10-week programs (Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced). Best $3 spent, ever.

I don't have the confidence (not yet) to enter the gym at this point. An organized, progressive bodyweight program will surely net you some gains in strength. For you, I'm no pro at guessing at pics, but I'd say you're at a very reasonably slender weight and a respectively lower body fat %. Eat at maintenance (or slightly above, focusing on lots of protein and good carbs for fuel), and you've got a fighting chance at maintaining or even building a bit of muscle sticking with a progressive strength training program.

Hi I don't know if you intended this message for me or the op but its good to hear that its working for you.

How long have you been on it? Does it make you feel fitter / stronger?

I have the DVD not the app but I'm guessing its all the same stuff. I only got it today so just done exercise 1, lol
  • Thomaslol
    Thomaslol Posts: 42
    Options

Hi I don't know if you intended this message for me or the op but its good to hear that its working for you.

I have the DVD not the app but I'm guessing its all the same stuff. I only got it today so just done exercise 1, lol

I can only see the book of 'You Are Your Own Gym' and I've downloaded that for free.

The DVD is on Amazon which I might get at some point but it is £18.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can do things at home to build muscle. Think push-ups, Burpees, lunges, squats, sit-ups... You can add weight by grabbing some fat text books or anything around the house
  • ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You're just plain skinny. If you want a novice lifting program, here's one i use: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    here's the FAQ: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine

Determine your maintenance kcals and macros, go into a 300-500 kcals surplus and make gains. I'm in the middle of my fourth cycle and feel great plus I ride my bike to work and home every day (1 hour ride in total) so I get my daily cardio and can eat 3200 kcals on training days.

Good luck :)

Edit: oh, yeah, I feel uncomfortable in the gym also so I bought a bar and plates and lift at home. It's totaly doable ;)
  • mr_mitch
    Options

I can only see the book of 'You Are Your Own Gym' and I've downloaded that for free.

Yeah I have the book too.

You can also download the DVD for about £12 if you go to the website

https://www.marklauren.com/videos/you-are-your-own-gym.html

Don't worry about it being in dollars, PayPal converts that for you
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    In my experience, going from ~14% bf to 8-10% takes a lot more weight training and less cardio.
    The lean muscle mass helps so much.

don't be afraid of the gym, it is your friend, and no one will hate on you.

Do 5x5's, whatever weight you can and just stick to it.
    squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench, barbell row.
  • Thomaslol
    Thomaslol Posts: 42
    Options
    In my experience, going from ~14% bf to 8-10% takes a lot more weight training and less cardio.

Yeah I was looking at the Stronglifts 5x5 thing. I just need to buy a barbell and some weights when I get paid and I plan to do it at home.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I'm not sure on the availability in UK. The app is available through either Android or Apple (if you have either of those types of devices). I don't have the book, so I don't know what's in it. The DVD's are my next purchase (or, if UK has them, they are available for digital download to your mobile devices or computer).

I'm finishing week 2, moving into week 3 this week. From going from absolutely zero strength training (and being and "old" 38 year old mom and LAZY), I'm amazed at the amount of strength I have gained so far. Will it be the "be all, end all" of strength gains? Absolutely not. But for a complete novice or lightly active beginner I think it's a great place to start, before the "real" show (i.e. hitting the heavy lifting and muscle gains) begins.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Yeah I was looking at the Stronglifts 5x5 thing. I just need to buy a barbell and some weights when I get paid and I plan to do it at home.

Yeah, doing it from home will help you build some confidence and strength, but eventually you should (and will probably want to) go to a gym.

I have these
    http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B001ARYU58
    cost $300-$400 but you can pretty much do any exercise when your starting out without getting a bunch of equipment. That stuff adds up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nice pants ;) I think u look great, not skinny fat but with some strength work I am sure u will see the results u want and it should help u feel better within yourself. Ps I can't see any moobs!

All of this.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Push ups... so many push ups.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I read your previous thread mate and you said you might have an issue with body image.

Did you see anyone about that, or get it under control?

I've had a similar thing, thought I was fat, I just stopped eating. It left me depressed and ended up in counselling.

So maybe if this is something that's affecting you mentally it would really help to address that issue...

(I hope you don't mind me saying)

No I haven't really got it under control. Don't know how to other than to try and change my body. I suppose that's all I can do really.

Nope, you need to change your head first, NOT your body.