Gents, what do you lift?

Options
1235»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    495lb bench press with PED's?? Yes it is. PED's aren't magic, you still have to work your *kitten* off, eat right, and recover to get the benefit.

Well, that's almost exactly what one has said when he started using, that it "feels like magic" after struggling before. But it still is impressive when my gym's resident bodybuilder takes my recent max of around 365lbs bench and does it for 3 sets ...of 6-10 reps...without a spotter...

But yeah, still cheating ;) :P

Cheating how? Unless you're using gear in a tested federation it wouldn't be cheating.

Using steroids vs average gym goer = cheating? no.
    Using steroids vs other non tested lifters = cheating? no.

Oh come on. Of course its "cheating", if its no rules not in a competition its no rules, so everyone has their own opinion, and I agree its cheating.

Just like fake boobs are "cheating". In the end, they are still D cups. Roid users may end up with a few extra cup sizes more on the chest too, and less in the pants!

And not talking about the user above, I don't know how he got mixed into this discussion. I'm sure he's man enough to admit if he uses.

First of all, the use of steroids without a prescription is illegal. We all know that and we all know that lots of people use steroids anyway. We also know that there are doctors out there who don't mind making extra money giving prescriptions to people who don't really need it. Also illegal. We also know there are steroids out there that are just simply illegal.

Now that we've discussed that people shouldn't use steroids because they are not legal let's look into the rest of the issue.
    When it comes to competing in bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. there are two types of competitions you can enter. There are sanctioned natural competitions and there is everything else. The natural competitions usually have a polygraph and/or urinalysis for the competitors to discourage people from using steroids (or other WADA banned substances including stimulants), hence the reason they label it a natural competition. In the other competitions and organizations they allow the use of PEDs.

So, what's the big deal?

If you compete in an organization that is specified as natural you generally have to sign something stating you have not and do not use steroids or other WADA banned substances. If you do use them and you sign stating that you don't you are cheating. There are ways to pass a polygraph and urinalysis even if you are not natural. If you get caught using in a natural competition you generally get banned. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you compete in an organization that is not specified as natural and you use PEDs you are not cheating. Depending on the organization and level (amateur versus professional), using is basically leveling the playing field. I'm not saying it's an excuse to do it, but being natural in a not natural field requires more time and more work.

Beyond competing and them being illegal there is another issue. Health. Many of us have done a variety of things in our lives that are far from healthy. I won't equate taking steroids to smoking cigarettes or being obese because the risks of each are very different. Although someone can use steroids with little to no side effects there's no telling if they will deal with something long term. That's a risk each person has to decide to take if they go that route.

If you claim you are natural and you obviously aren't, you look like an *kitten*. If you mislead people that look up to you by claiming you are natural when you aren't, you look like an *kitten*. If you are natural and cry about someone cheating by using steroids because they are bigger than you or stronger than you, you look like an *kitten*.

ETA: Equating steroids with a boob job is a horrible analysis. Steroids you have to push it hard in the gym for months to see considerable gains. Boob job you pay a doctor then spend some time relaxing and letting them heal. Also, one is illegal (steroids) and one is not (boob job).
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Weights
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Squat 265
    Deadlift 305
    Bench 180
    Strict OHP 155
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Video, or it didn't happen.

I may be able to accommodate that, I figured out how to take video with my phone recently. On another note, I maxed on bench tonight at 265.

Rigger
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    There are some strong fellas in here! Very nice! :smile:

This. Nice work lads.

Yep...I'm just over here drooling.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    At the height of my bulk at 185lbs

Current/Goal (1RM)
    Deadlift: 505x1/600
    Bench: 325x1/350
    Squat: 405x3 / 495

The numbers on the right are what I hope to achieve by the end of the year (Deadlift/Squat goal is gonna take a while). But there is a physique competition in OCT that I may do so strength might be put on the backburner.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Who cares for stats...less than tomorrow is that matters
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My current 1RM's are (note: this is with Dumbells as my gym currently does not have barbells):

Bench: 200Ibs
    OHP: 147lbs
    Squat: 425lbs.

Trying for more each week though.
  • esanford2
    esanford2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    6'5 - 255lbs
    Numbers from this morning
    Bench: 250 5x5
    Deadlift: 315 5x5
    Squat: 0 (pulled a groin muscle on Monday. Surprised that I was able to deadlift)
    Row: 305 5x5
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    There are some strong fellas in here! Very nice! :smile:

This. Nice work lads.

Yep...I'm just over here drooling.

Me too! Impressive lifts gents!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

But unless you measure today, how will you know that you have accomplished what "matters" tomorrow?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mostly just the 12 oz curls.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Really heavy flower pots.

*Ahem* video?
  • rogerOb1
    Options

On reflection, I agree with the 2nd part of your statement - shouldve asked for goals too!
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bench press touch n go: 285lb
    Bench press paused: 260lb
    Squat: 400lb
    Deadlift: 515lb
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Low weight, high rep, and HIIT. So nothing to see here.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

On reflection, I agree with the 2nd part of your statement - shouldve asked for goals too!

I'm looking for a 3xBW Deadlift in the mid-term, next short-term goal is 2.5xBW.

Got a tricky shoulder, so bench and ohp will always be a bit of a struggle to push up. Gotta play the hand you're dealt though.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

I'm looking for a 3xBW Deadlift in the mid-term, next short-term goal is 2.5xBW.

Got a tricky shoulder, so bench and ohp will always be a bit of a struggle to push up. Gotta play the hand you're dealt though.

Yeah, I know how that goes - my dodgy shoulder means I'll never try to PR on OHP...but hey...it could be worse. My mid-term deadlift goal would be for 2.5 bw. Still a way to go, but feels very achievable at the moment.