Do all liquids I swallow count towards hydration?

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
..with the exception of alcohol?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    what % ethanol counts as alcohol? anything less than everclear has water...

Beer/liquor was an important tool in civilization for sanitizing and transporting safe drinking water...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    IN!
    .....for feedz
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    bunk-the-wire.gif
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Caffeine dehydrates you so you should not count that. In fact you may need to drink more water to compensate
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask a question but then thought better of it...
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Frankly even alcoholic drinks count. It's true the alcohol does cause us to dehydrate but unless you are drinking moonshine it doesn't do much to counteract the effect of all the actual water you take in. And yes any H20 counts. Maybe pure water is a bit better at immidiateley hydrating but your stomach will never be completely empty anyway once you swallow water it mixes with digestive juices so if your body couldn't deal with impure water we would probably all shrivel up and die.

Remember the reason you piss like a racehorse on beer is not because you dehydrate it's because you just shoved 6 pints of mostly water into yourself and your body can't get rid of it fast enough. If the alcohol where truly drying you out your body would try to retain it not gush it out like a never ending fountain.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    In for swallowing liquids...

for hydration.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A recent BBC review of research claimed to show that coffee actually is not a diuretic and the water content of it counts.
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140402-are-coffee-and-tea-dehydrating
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    OP, I just asked the smartest guy I know about this and he says YES. He was smiling really big when he responded so I know he's telling the truth. :wink:

Mmmmm, good ole hydration :blushing:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Caffeine dehydrates you so you should not count that. In fact you may need to drink more water to compensate

Nope. It still hydrates you.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Also, I've never understood all the hullabaloo over "what counts as water." Drink when you're thirsty. Drink whatever tastes good to you and has the ingredients that meet your personal preferences and goals. People throw around all these numbers for how much you MUST drink in a day, but really, there's no magic number.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes.

It's a very complicated system, but there is actually a better way than MFP to work out your hydration levels.

It requires some pretty strong calculation levels, a bit past your smartphone.

Thankfully you DO have the device needed to work it out -

If you're thirsty, have a drink.

(The whole 8 glasses of water thing is badly interpreted research from many years ago that has been repeated ad nauseam with little thought. You can gain hydration from any source you like.)
    The biggest diuretic effect from caffeine comes from the water.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    ..with the exception of alcohol?

And some can count towards your protein goal! Score!! :drinker:

I mean protein shakes, people. Geez.

*Edited because grammar. Eats shoots and leaves, or something.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros

Wait. Wrong thread.
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    *takes a swig of beer*

Yup!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I am going to correct myself. I did some research and it appears my info was outdated and caffeine only dehydrates if you drink it in excess.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Not really. Some liquids dehydrate. I count only plain water as water. I drink other liquids but don't count them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I am going to correct myself. I did some research and it appears my info was outdated and caffeine only dehydrates if you drink it in excess.

:flowerforyou:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    In for swallowing liquids...

for hydration.

How you doin'?
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    hehe....I hope so
  • Kitten2629