Fast Food Workers Unite

Options
While I was at work today I was thinking to myself, It sure is nice i work in a restaurant that doesn't just server garbage but also has some very good choices as long as you know how to order them. Then I thought about a lot of the other places that i don't go because I think they don't have a healthy enough option. But what if its that I just don't know how to order them so I wanna know what you guys order at work if you work in a fast food place

I work at Culvers and my favorite right now is a Turkey hot or cold sandwich on rye bread with no mayo or butter and adding mustard pickles and onions all for 259 calories

Replies

• sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    i work at pizza hut. and honestly, there are no very good options besides a salad, and we don't even have any light or fat free dressing. working all day is soooo hard when i am hungry, especially when i work during buffet.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    While I was at work today I was thinking to myself, It sure is nice i work in a restaurant that doesn't just server garbage but also has some very good choices as long as you know how to order them. Then I thought about a lot of the other places that i don't go because I think they don't have a healthy enough option. But what if its that I just don't know how to order them so I wanna know what you guys order at work if you work in a fast food place

I work at Culvers and my favorite right now is a Turkey hot or cold sandwich on rye bread with no mayo or butter and adding mustard pickles and onions all for 259 calories

I don't work in a fast food restaurant, but I am glad to see that Culver's does have food that is healthy - It is another alternative for me for lunch when I haven't had the forethought to prepare one for myself. Thanks for sharing.
  • vickiele1
    Options
    i work at pizza hut. and honestly, there are no very good options besides a salad, and we don't even have any light or fat free dressing. working all day is soooo hard when i am hungry, especially when i work during buffet.

I used to work at Pizza Hut when I was very young. Actually, did you know that Pizza Hut has posted their nutritional information on-line. Just like everything else in life, if you eat what is considered a "normal" serving - you will be over in calories every time. But if you eat what is considered a "healthy" serving, you will do all right. Check out Pizza Hut's website and their nutritional guide.

http://www.pizzahut.com/nutrition.html

http://www.pizzahut.com/Files/PDF/PH_WSNationalBrochure4.13.10.pdf
  • lovza_flirt
    lovza_flirt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't work fast food either but i think this is cool post. I was glad to see last time I ate at burger king that the tray covers gives you healthier option list and how many calories are in each.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Basically with Culver's if you ask for anything with no butter it is decently healthy and a lot less calories
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    I don't currently work at a fast food place but I did for 4 yrs - 3 at Chick-fil-A and 1 at Sonic Drive In. Guess which one I gained the most weight working for.... Sonic! I loved Chick-fil-A. We had a nutritional guide readily available, fruit options, grilled chicken, and diet lemonade. Although, as a manager, I had to taste test the waffle fries and nuggets. You know. For food quality. :wink:

I can not think of one healthy item at Sonic. Well, we later added sliced apples for the kid's meals. But c'mon. They add a fried onion ring to the salad. Cheese tots was my supper most nights. With ice cream for dessert. Yeah, I gained almost 15 lbs that one year. I was so thankful when I got a "regular" office job.

But seriously. Chick-fil-A has a ton of healthy options. Avoid salad dressing. And the shakes. And don't go there on Sunday. You'll be disappointed.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I work at Taco Bell.

I am vegan.

Every day I order Pintos and Cheese minus the cheese and red sauce and I add Cilantro/onion mix, Tomatoes, and Guacamole, 2 sides of rice and a side of lettuce. Lost 15 pounds so far doing this.
  • adamtall
    Options
    Thanks guys keep all the healthy options coming :) and apetty i know what you mean about quality testing, we make our custard fresh about 4 times a day and I just have to be the one that make's sure its running correctly :) but sadly now I have decided to give that title to someone else lol
  • vickiele1
    Options
    Thanks guys keep all the healthy options coming :) and apetty i know what you mean about quality testing, we make our custard fresh about 4 times a day and I just have to be the one that make's sure its running correctly :) but sadly now I have decided to give that title to someone else lol

Adam, thanks for the friend request. "giving up" things, changing our lifestyle, doing things differently, are all pieces of this puzzle we call a journey to a healthier and happier us. It will be worth it as you begin to see the decrease in weight and become healthier. I can't believe how much more energy and stamina I have after reducing my weight by 47 lbs. I am 56 years old, so some slowing down is expected given my age, but honestly, in comparison to where I was physically 4 months ago, I feel like I am 20 years younger. 4 1/2 months ago I struggled with just going up and down the stairs at work and home. I started walking and it was all i could do to walk 2 miles in about 50 minutes. Now, I can, and do, walk 6 miles in about 70 minutes. I have been using a stationary bike also using ifit training cards for it. I started at level 1 on the first card and was so worn out after 30 minutes I could hardly walk. Yesterday, I walked for 43 minutes outside in the cold and wind and then came in and did 30 minutes on the bike at a level 9 (high impact - it adjusts the tension making the workout more intense) and while I was feeling the exercise - I still had plenty of energy left. Amazing.

So, just keep on doing what you are doing - identifying the foods that you should and can do without and eating healthier and exercising. You will feel and look better soon.

Vickie
  • adamtall
    Options
    yeah ive noticed in the 4 weeks that ive been working out and 2 weeks of eating better how much more energy ive had. I went from 22 minutes for a mile to yesterday i did a mile in 13.5 minutes. Im loving the changes in myself that i see everyday
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I work at mcd's....Most days I will have a small cheeseburger, plain and my water (I will bring carrots or peanut butter crackers from home) instead of eating fries (though I will occasionally break down).... Or I will get a grilled chicken patty or a honey mustard wrap with light sauce and apple dippers.
    When I'm especially bad I will get a plain Angus wrap or double cheeseburger (I work it into my calories)..
  • adamtall
    Options
    yeah i hate that we only have 2 or 3 sides to chose from that are healthy (mashed potatoes, green beans and side salads) but i usually make my salad with extra cucumbers and tomatoes (love grape tomatoes) with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Out of curiousity how many calories is a honey mustard wrap with grilled chicken?
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't work in Fast food, although my kids would love me if I did!!
    Anyways I was at Burger King yesterday and had the veggie burger with side salad (if you order the kids meal it costs less and the only difference is the drink size!). It is way better for you than most other things. I think it was 270 calories, 6 grams fat, and 3 grams fibre.
    While I perused the nutrional guild (on the tray liner) I noticed that the mac and cheese is another very good option. About the same amount of fat, but 100 less calories and way less sodium.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I don't work in fast food, but I do work in an amazing pizza restaurant. It's really hard to avoid the food there, especially since when there's a pizza mistake, the staff get to eat it! So I'll walk in the back and there's almost always a pizza sitting there! You just gotta learn to say no and have willlpower of steel. I also bring my dinner and snacks, so I'm not tempted during my shift. Most people know by now to not even tell me that there's food in the back. :laugh:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yeah i hate that we only have 2 or 3 sides to chose from that are healthy (mashed potatoes, green beans and side salads) but i usually make my salad with extra cucumbers and tomatoes (love grape tomatoes) with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Out of curiousity how many calories is a honey mustard wrap with grilled chicken?

It has 260 so it isn't horrible..
  • adamtall
    Options
    Thats not bad at all. I haven't had one before are they pretty filling?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I work at Carl's Jr. The salads are healthy and good, but extensive. We do have an affordable side salad so you can avoid all of the fried sides, and we can substitute apples on kids meals. The grilled chicken sandwiches are healthy enough and low fat if you hold the dressing off. We do hand-breaded chicken strips now, theoretically, we can run them through the charbroiler instead of battering and frying them, but they have to be run through twice, so the ends get burned. But it tastes kinda like chicken you'd get in a kabob.

Oh, I forgot our low carb burger. If you order it no mayo, ketchup or cheese it becomes actually low carb.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Thanks for friend request as well. I understand giving up certain food. But the healthy rewards of not eating bad food are more than just weight loss. You feel better, have more energy, more mental clarity etc etc. The scale is not the only way to tell when you are doing the right thing to take care of your body and health.

Eat the good stuff, not the junk.

I am going out to Red Robin with a buddy of mine after church today. Going to get me a gardenburger. Yum.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for friend request as well. I understand giving up certain food. But the healthy rewards of not eating bad food are more than just weight loss. You feel better, have more energy, more mental clarity etc etc. The scale is not the only way to tell when you are doing the right thing to take care of your body and health.

Eat the good stuff, not the junk.

I am going out to Red Robin with a buddy of mine after church today. Going to get me a gardenburger. Yum.
    We went to Red Robin last week. Did you look at their website? You can customize any menu item and it tells you the changes in the calories, fat, etc. It's amazing. I had a Gardenburger on Ciabatta, no dijon spread, add regular dijon, with cheddar cheese and it was 507 calories I believe. You can also sub a salad for the bottomless fries. That was SO hard to do, but I did it. LOL
  • adamtall
    Options
    I love that about Culvers website as well you can take off or put on just about anything you want on your sandwich and it will count the calories its been a life saver for me at work