Feeling sick after eating "junk" foods

Options
13»

Replies

• RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I've been diabetic for several years but before I was diagnosed, I lived on Pepsi. A couple years ago, I ran into a blood sugar issue and Pepsi was what was available. I gagged. I am so used to to diet that it just was too much for me.

As far as foods making you sick... I love, love, LOVE, Q'doba. Love. A couple weeks ago, my husband surprised me and wanted to go there (score! everyone needs a night off!). Not even an hour later I was vomiting. A week before that, I went on a junk food binge (we were on vacation and it was fat kid in a junk food store... I saw it, I ate it. One night won't hurt) and, again, couple hours later, I was vomiting.

I truly believe that our bodies are constantly evolving. They are our temples. If someone tried to bring trash into your (mostly) clean temple, you're going to throw them out.

Sounds right to me.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    your body (and taste buds) have adjusted to your new diet somewhat. i find that most of the things that i used to love to eat like chips and whatnot dont even taste all that great anymore. its an excellent sign really

this.

if you started drinking it in moderation again- you'd be fine.

It makes me bonkers when people cut out high fat foods- and then go get a burger or some other sort of "fast food" - get sick and uncomfortable and then label it JUNK and how horrible it is.

it has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the food- only that you're body isn't used to the high fat content- of COURSE it's going to be upset. it doesn't mean the food is inherently bad.

makes me bonkers.

Exactly this. It's a different balance of macros that your body has gotten used to. I don't eat low-fat foods, but if I have a fried chicken, whether it be homemade or from Popeye's, you bet that I'm going to have a reaction within the next 12 hours!

And for what it's worth, my husband experienced a similar feeling when he started eating more vegetables instead of starches. His body just wasn't used to it.

It's also the change in the flora of the digestive tract. If you're eating a diet that largely consists of fruits and vegetables, your gut will have high populations of bacteria that are good at dealing with fruits and vegetables and low populations that are good at dealing with animal protein and fast. Suddenly introduce protein and fat back into the system and that low population will have a hard time dealing with the volume until their numbers adjust for the new food intake.

That's why drastic changes in diet are almost always accompanied by what I affectionately refer to as 'bubble gut' and frequent trips to the restroom.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    your body (and taste buds) have adjusted to your new diet somewhat. i find that most of the things that i used to love to eat like chips and whatnot dont even taste all that great anymore. its an excellent sign really

this.

if you started drinking it in moderation again- you'd be fine.

It makes me bonkers when people cut out high fat foods- and then go get a burger or some other sort of "fast food" - get sick and uncomfortable and then label it JUNK and how horrible it is.

it has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the food- only that you're body isn't used to the high fat content- of COURSE it's going to be upset. it doesn't mean the food is inherently bad.

makes me bonkers.

Exactly this. It's a different balance of macros that your body has gotten used to. I don't eat low-fat foods, but if I have a fried chicken, whether it be homemade or from Popeye's, you bet that I'm going to have a reaction within the next 12 hours!

And for what it's worth, my husband experienced a similar feeling when he started eating more vegetables instead of starches. His body just wasn't used to it.

It's also the change in the flora of the digestive tract. If you're eating a diet that largely consists of fruits and vegetables, your gut will have high populations of bacteria that are good at dealing with fruits and vegetables and low populations that are good at dealing with animal protein and fast. Suddenly introduce protein and fat back into the system and that low population will have a hard time dealing with the volume until their numbers adjust for the new food intake.

That's why drastic changes in diet are almost always accompanied by what I affectionately refer to as 'bubble gut' and frequent trips to the restroom.

I cycle in and out of eating certain foods every couple of months, and yep, this definitely is the result many a time. :grumble:
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I totally know how that goes.

Just a few weeks ago I was an avid soda drinker. I would down several cans a day. Over the last couple weeks though, I've cut out all sodas and sugary drinks and more or less only drink water. Now, even the thought of Mt. Dew (my lifelong favorite) is completely unappealing. It just seems so syrupy and sweet.

Today I was at work, and had forgot my water bottle at home. I really wanted some water with my lunch, but didn't have a cup or anything on me. So I actually bought a quarter can of generic soda from the pop machine, dumped it down the drain, and filled the empty can with water. LOL. Afterwards I was just sort of amazed with myself, because a few weeks ago I would've had to FIGHT myself to not drink the soda. Now here I am, voluntarily dumping it down the drain because it seems repulsive and I just want water.