Starting Insanity 60 Day

Options
Hi! I finally broke down and bought the Insanity DVD 60 day workout program. I am planning on starting Monday as it should arrive before then. I have read positive and negative results from Insanity users and I was wondering if anyone on MFP would be able to tell me if I'd see results of weight loss and inch loss. I am 5' 7" and currently 220 pounds, and hold weight around my middle and lower abdomen more than throughout the rest of my body and 40 year old woman who had 2 children and had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago. I know it will help me get feel better and hopefully help boost my metabolism, but would love serious input and any encouraging before and after pics for motivation! Feel free to add me as a friend also!! Thank you!

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've never done Insanity but my ex did before we split up. He was already thin and in good shape, being in the Air Force, but he did Insanity anyway. And he ended up hurting his back.

Insanity is an EXTREMELY intense workout. My ex did lose a lot of weight on it, and everyone I've seen here who's tried it says it works... but don't push yourself to the point of injury.
  • Bellabooksa
    Bellabooksa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm sure it will be extreme and intense and I will probably have to complete the program a few times to see the results I'm looking for, which isn't a problem. My goal is to be feel better and look better by my 41st birthday which is 4 mo. away. I updated my calorie tracker and goals, I can't believe I will need to consume almost 2400 calories a day to lose weight, but I will def give it a big try especially if I'm going to put my body through such an intense workout! :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it is INTENSE (hence the name.) I can not remember if there are modifiers or not but just take it at your own pace and stick with it. You will see results.
  • Awesomeness323
    Awesomeness323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE INSANITY!! (and Shawn T).

However, I am currently doing it with T25. I do T25 on weekdays and I add an insanity workout whenever I feel like I need that burn. (Now that I am working and out all day, I incorporate the insanity less, but I was using it a lot more in the beginning). When I first started, I could BARELY keep up. Now, I can keep up with him and don't feel as out of breath as before.

It's been ten weeks and so far I have lost 17 pounds.

I definitely recommend it. Like you will see amazing results!!

Note: It's really hard on the knees. The first two weeks when I added insanity, I was doing it everyday and following the schedule and my knees were killing me. So I took a break and went to only T25 alone. Then after a week or so (once my knees got better, I went back to doing insanity with my T25). Now my knees don't hurt (I do an insanity workout about 3 times a week). I think it may be because I didn't know how to land properly?
  • Bellabooksa
    Options
    Thank you all for replies! I have been so desperate to find something that will work for me. I was around 145-150 three years ago and after having my hysterectomy it seems the weight just piled on even while doing good cardio workouts. Not sure if it's stress induced or a chemical imbalance, but what ever the case I'm done with feeling like crap and looking horrible..I want ME back again!
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning on starting Insanity on Monday. I'm 38 and have 3 kids- I'm going to send you a friend request. Maybe we can give each other support?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I tried to start it like 3 times for the past 2 years..first time I practically died at warm up. second round I didn't like it. third round I stuck to it for a month but I retained water like crazy because I couldn't control my hunger...I think it's a good program but if you are out of shape, it might be pretty challenging and frustrating...lot of jumping might cause injury if you are not careful with your landing technique and forms...

just my .2 cents
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I did T25 and now I'm doing Insanity. I just started month 2 and it's difficult. I recommend that you modify any moves that you need to, take extra breaks if necessary, and I read that Shaun T said that if you can't finish it, just do the warm up and then move on to the cool down. And then work your way up to doing the entire workout.

And listen when he says to land softly because it will help protect your knees.
  • Bellabooksa
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and support! I have previously been doing Tae Bo Boot Camp, but have not seen any real results so I'm really hoping Insanity will be challenging to keep me from getting bored as well as challenging to my body to see results!! :) Thank you all :)
  • blucrona
    blucrona Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing insanity right now, but my knees are killing me after each workout. What does "Land Softly" really mean? I have a feeling I'm not doing the landing correctly.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity before. I had great results. It is pretty intense. There were times that I took the intensity down a notch and went slower than the people on the video. Push yourself (but pace yourself). I'm happy to connect with you and support you on your journey. I'm currently doing Les Mills Combat. Shoot me a friend invite if you're interested.
  • albayin
    Options
    I'm doing insanity right now, but my knees are killing me after each workout. What does "Land Softly" really mean? I have a feeling I'm not doing the landing correctly.

It's somoething you need to practice and feel...technically it means you should land with the balls of your feet, not the heels or the entire palm first...If you pay attention, you will hear Shaun keeps saying "use your core". When landing, use your core to control the entire body not just the legs and feet...

I do Insanity bare foot and never feel any pain of anywhere...
  • albayin
    Options
    I've done Insanity before. I had great results. It is pretty intense. There were times that I took the intensity down a notch and went slower than the people on the video. Push yourself (but pace yourself). I'm happy to connect with you and support you on your journey. I'm currently doing Les Mills Combat. Shoot me a friend invite if you're interested.

Love body combat...
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    I just started month 2 this week.

Here is what I have learned: watch your calories!

I started Insanity 3 years ago and ended up not loosing anything. I was hungry, so I ate whatever (thinking that the extra workout should make up the difference). I never finished, since I lost motivation.

This time, I am following a strict diet and doing MUCH better.

I suggest,, that you figure out your daily needs (without insanity) and subtract the suggested 500cal. When you enter your food daily, make sure you add the calories you burnined that day. I find it easier to control your in/out calories, if you calculate daily, vs spread it accross the week.

Just my experience.

Good luck!!
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've done two rounds of it - the first time, I didn't change my diet at all, I just ate normally. I saw some small changes. The second time, I followed mfp's calorie goals and I saw huge results.

I'm 5'3". First time, started at ~130 pounds and dropped maybe 2-5 pounds but built muscle. Second time, started at ~128 pounds and dropped to ~115 pounds.

You're starting with much more to lose, so you'll probably have more trouble doing all of the exercises and keeping up with the routine, but if you stick with it you'll probably see much greater weight loss than I did. Follow a calorie goal tailored to you by MFP and push through it when it gets really tough (month 2), and I think you'll be very happy with your results.

EDIT: also, be wary of the usually over-estimated calorie burns for insanity exercises. I probably burned about 500-600 calories during the longest, hardest workouts (month 2), but some of the estimates had it closer to 1000 which is utterly unrealistic for women and particularly women who are not super muscular.
  • acrafter90
    Options
    I'm in my 3rd week of Insanity now. The main thing is push yourself, but don't beat yourself up if you're not keeping up. When I started I was 217 46 percent body fat. I'm not 211 44 percent body fat. Im doing other stuff besides Insanity. Drink plenty of water and stick to a good diet and you will definitely see results. To be realistic, you will probably do two rounds of it before a dramatic transformation...that's my plan anyway.

No matter what, DON'T GIVE UP! I've started and restarted Insanity several times and I wish I would have kept going. You can do it! You will get stronger and you will feel amazing!

oh yeah..make sure you have good shoes. Seriously. Good shoes.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I did it last year when i was 200 lbs. I lost a good bit of weight on it (20lbs) then stalled. Thats when I joined MFP and started watching what I ate. I finished insanity and started running. Ive been running ever since. Now that Im a healthy weight (161) I restarted today to try and lose the baby belly and to avoid being "skinny fat". I avoided the fit test and just started at day 2 today , the plyometric workout - 41 minutes of dripping with sweat! I loved it! I did so much better than i did last year as i am much fitter but the sweat poured off me!!
  • Noclaf68
    Noclaf68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am about 20 days in myself. The biggest thing I can suggest is too push yourself but not to the extreme. If you can only make it through the warm up one day then stop after the warm up. Also there are some of the exercises that I just cannot do right now. You may have to modify some activities, for instance doing squats instead of doing some of the jumps. If you cannot do something don't force your body to do it right away. The biggest thing is you stay moving. I have some friends that have done Insanity and P90X several times and they still cannot do everything in these workouts.

One thing, after the first day or two, your quads, hamstrings and calves will be incredibly sore as they get used to the abuse. Do not give up, it gets better and easier.
  • Bellabooksa
    Options
    I'm really encouraged by you all and thank you for your support and advice!! I am figuring to give it my all and will continue it as many months as needed to get in shape and feel good about myself again. My 41st b-day is in 4 months so my first goal I hope to at least go from a tight 14 jean to a loose 12 by my b-day! My DVD set scheduled to arrive Saturday!! :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    People with knee pain from Insanity should try doing it barefoot - modern running shoes could be the cause of your discomfort! Shaun T himself advocates barefoot training:

http://shauntfitness.com/insanity-shoes/