best way to lose stomach fat?

Options
i am a 33 year old male. i am 6-0 and i weigh 227 pounds. my arms and legs are really thin,but my stomach is big. i also have man breasts. i know the dangers of having central obesity. i am eating very few calories and i am walking alot but i am not losing the stomach fat. is there anything that i can do to lose this fat? it looks awful to have skinny arms and a big stomach. i only eat one meal a day,should i eat even less,should i walk more? has anyone had success in losing stomach fat?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You can't target specific areas for fat loss - only lose fat "overall".

Continue to eat at a deficit - and certainly start lifting heavy things (ie weights) to maintain what muscle mass you have in your arms/chest.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Continue to eat at a deficit - and certainly start lifting heavy things (ie weights) to maintain what muscle mass you have in your arms/chest.

This is spot on. Good luck, OP.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My stomach thins out when I cut back on carbohydrates....... usually if I eat a lot of protein in the morning my stomach gets flatter...... but I am also a female and my primary areas of fat are not on my stomach but more in my hips and thighs and such. It may depend on where the majority of your fat stores....... but for me I just know upping protein and lowering carbs has helped me to reduce belly fat.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    i am a 33 year old male. i am 6-0 and i weigh 227 pounds. my arms and legs are really thin,but my stomach is big. i also have man breasts. i know the dangers of having central obesity. i am eating very few calories and i am walking alot but i am not losing the stomach fat. is there anything that i can do to lose this fat? it looks awful to have skinny arms and a big stomach. i only eat one meal a day,should i eat even less,should i walk more? has anyone had success in losing stomach fat?

Kill your abd with 40' of abs exercise, at least 3 per week and sure a bit of diet, they must ache, and vary the kind of exercises for it and do also cardio ....it doesn't matter at the begin or end of yiur training....
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One meal a day isn't very efficient for speeding up your metabolism, its recommended that you eat between 4 and 6 small meals a day. Although, I only do 3 meals and one snack.

While what everyone else said was true, I also recommend crunches and sit ups to help with stomach fat. Every little bit helps!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    My stomach thins out when I cut back on carbohydrates....... usually if I eat a lot of protein in the morning my stomach gets flatter...... but I am also a female and my primary areas of fat are not on my stomach but more in my hips and thighs and such. It may depend on where the majority of your fat stores....... but for me I just know upping protein and lowering carbs has helped me to reduce belly fat.
    this is probably more due to carbs creating water retention in your stomach rather than actual fat loss/gain, but it does make it look as though you have less fat on your belly
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    this is probably more due to carbs creating water retention in your stomach rather than actual fat loss/gain, but it does make it look as though you have less fat on your belly

Yes when I used to cut carbs (back in the day when I thought it was the only way), it was just water weight and bloat. That is all. Not losing actual stomach fat. Your just less bloated.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

QFT

This all the way!
  • brower47
    Options

That's not belly fat, that's water retention.

Eating protein in the morning with the result of a flatter stomach is water loss. There no way to lose appreciable amounts of fat during the course of and from the eating habits of one day.
  • brower47
    Options

Kill your abd with 40' of abs exercise, at least 3 per week and sure a bit of diet, they must ache, and vary the kind of exercises for it and do also cardio ....it doesn't matter at the begin or end of yiur training....

No. Abdominal exercises will not decrease stomach fat. They will strengthen muscles. The cardio can increase your calorie deficit or help you maintain one while allowing you a larger quantity of calories for the day but it alone will also not decrease stomach fat. Only a calorie deficit can do that.
  • brower47
    Options
    One meal a day isn't very efficient for speeding up your metabolism, its recommended that you eat between 4 and 6 small meals a day. Although, I only do 3 meals and one snack.

While what everyone else said was true, I also recommend crunches and sit ups to help with stomach fat. Every little bit helps!

No. The only thing that determines fat loss is a calorie deficit. If you eat one meal a day or 20 meals a day, as long as their sum calories are less than the number expended through the day (and consistently through the weeks/months) you will lose weight.

Again, the abdominal exercises will have no effect on losing stomach fat except in the additional number of calories doing said exercises will expend.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options

You can't "speed up metabolism" by eating more meals. Meal frequency has no impact on metabolic rate based off of science.

Crunches and sit ups won't help with fat either. It will make the muscles stronger perhaps, but the only way to lose fat is a calorie deficit. You also can't spot reduce fat. It will come off where it wishes to.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    By lowering overall body fat. You do this by a combination of calorie deficit and heavy lifting.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount of processed food that you eat, like anything from a box or a package. You can eat alot of veggies for not a whole lot of calories. :flowerforyou: Eat more protien and veggies. Do yoga. Good luck to ya!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First what do you mean by "very few calories"?

The basics are eat less than you burn, however you must and I repeat MUST fuel your body appropriately for the work you want it to do. I plugged in your numbers and I get a TDEE of 2603 and a 20% deficit of 2083 to lose at a moderate activity level.

The only way to get a flatter stomach is to lose the fat. The only way to lose fat is to eat at a deficit. period.

The meme abs are made in the kitchen is not a lie.

Lift and eat at a MODERATE deficit to maintain existing lean body mass. The belly fat will go away, when it is ready to.
  • rkpremier
    rkpremier Posts: 1
    Options
    The bottom line is that you have to do what works for you. It sounds like one meal a day isn't working, and I've always heard and read that eating small meals every 3-4 hours speeds up metabolism. What you eat is also VERY important, and more important than the number of calories. If calories were all that mattered we could eat one piece of cheesecake every day (and nothing else) and be under our caloric goal, but how healthy would we be?!

I've also read quite a bit lately about sugar being a big reason for belly fat. I've noticed that cutting back on sugar and increasing lean proteins and veggies has really helped me see great results. There's a lot of hidden sugars in foods we think are healthy... I also feel much better when eating whole, unprocessed foods that have no added sugars.
  • brower47
    Options
    Reduce the amount of processed food that you eat, like anything from a box or a package. You can eat alot of veggies for not a whole lot of calories. :flowerforyou: Eat more protien and veggies. Do yoga. Good luck to ya!

Reducing the amount of processed foods is irrelevant. As long as you're expending more calories than you're consuming, you'll lose weight. You might be able to eat a larger quantity of food since generally the processed foods people think about tend to be calorie dense and fruits and veggies are less calorie dense but in the end, it's how many calories you eat, not the form of them.

Now, if you want health too, make sure you're getting sufficient micros and following your macros based on your end physique goals.

Yoga is nice but also not directly responsible for losing stomach fat except in the added calories you burn while doing it (or any other exercise).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This will help :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

ETA: @ usmcmp - did we really just post within seconds of each other?? :laugh:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Beat you to it by seconds :laugh: