Amount of protein and kidney problems. RELATED?!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It seemed to help me to take cranberry capsules at night before bed. I had trouble with kidney and bladder infections a few years ago while on a very low carb low fat diet. The last thing I would do before bed was swallow 4-5 capsules with enough water to get them down. I tried not to get up and go during the night. My boyfriend also used to get kidney stones. Now when he feels funky in the kidney/bladder area he takes the capsules for a week and hasn't had nearly as much of a problem.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    TrainingWithTonya

Thank you for your advise and being so attentive! I will work on reducing my protein amount. Because today is my rest day and I'm not planning on excersising, and still I'm on the high end of protein amount.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    MzBug

I'll look it up! I just make my own cranberry juice when I'm not feeling right... But I will look for capsules too! Thanks!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    How much protein per day and what is your body weight?

Protein is broken down through the kidneys. Some kidneys can be weaker then others but the kidneys can process up to 10grams per pound of body weight if not more by most studies. You also need to keep hydrated otherwise you will start to reek havoc on them.

I wonder how much protein you are taking in per meal. 20-30 grams per meal is fine. I have taken in the past upwards of 50, 6 times a day. Now I am around 30-35 with no problems.

Do you have links to these studies? I'd love to read them as the research we've been shown in my nutrition minor at university indicates a reasonable upper limit of 2.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (2.2046 pounds).

ETA: the 2.8 grams per kilogram is for people with normal functioning kidneys. Anyone with kidney issues should stick to the RDA of 0.8 grams per kilogram for the average person up to 1.8 grams per kilogram for the highly active weight training person. Just like carbs and fat, any excess protein consumed will be stored as fat if it isn't needed by the body. ;)

I do have links and I have real world results. Ask any body builder. Not that this is a sited source but google it even They do not train such as a real athlete that would burn anywhere from 5-10,000 cals a day such as a track star, swimmer, football player, etc. they may burn 2500-4000 cals a day and substain 4-7% bodyfat and consumer 2-3.5 grams per lb in protein. So your statement of protein being stored as fat is not true. Your body is more prone to release it through the bowels then process it and store it as fat, this statement alone you can find all over the internet.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How much protein per day and what is your body weight?

Protein is broken down through the kidneys. Some kidneys can be weaker then others but the kidneys can process up to 10grams per pound of body weight if not more by most studies. You also need to keep hydrated otherwise you will start to reek havoc on them.

I wonder how much protein you are taking in per meal. 20-30 grams per meal is fine. I have taken in the past upwards of 50, 6 times a day. Now I am around 30-35 with no problems.

Do you have links to these studies? I'd love to read them as the research we've been shown in my nutrition minor at university indicates a reasonable upper limit of 2.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (2.2046 pounds).

ETA: the 2.8 grams per kilogram is for people with normal functioning kidneys. Anyone with kidney issues should stick to the RDA of 0.8 grams per kilogram for the average person up to 1.8 grams per kilogram for the highly active weight training person. Just like carbs and fat, any excess protein consumed will be stored as fat if it isn't needed by the body. ;)

I do have links and I have real world results. Ask any body builder. Not that this is a sited source but google it even They do not train such as a real athlete that would burn anywhere from 5-10,000 cals a day such as a track star, swimmer, football player, etc. they may burn 2500-4000 cals a day and substain 4-7% bodyfat and consumer 2-3.5 grams per lb in protein. So your statement of protein being stored as fat is not true. Your body is more prone to release it through the bowels then process it and store it as fat, this statement alone you can find all over the internet.

As a certified nutritionist and future registered dietitian, I know better then to believe what I read on the internet. As a former body builder myself, I also know not to trust the word of a body builder because they don't necessarily have any education in proper nutrition. I only go by actual scientific studies. And the scientific research has proven that no matter what you consume, carbs, fat, or protein, if it is in excess of what the body needs, it will be stored as adipose tissue (body fat). Those body builders, swimmers, track stars, football players, etc. who are at low body fat are using what they consume. IF they were to quit exercising at such high levels but continue to eat what they consume now, they, too, would store that excess protein as body fat. Like I asked previously, give me links to the actual studies that show these excessive amounts of protein usage. No study that I have been able to find has proven the safety of more then 2.8 grams per kilogram of body weight in populations with normal functioning kidneys. They also haven't dis-proven that high levels of protein are okay for normal functioning kidneys, but they have proven that there are limits for people with kidney issues, diabetes, etc. I would love to have the research you are talking about so that I could review it with my professors and possibly assist our college athletes perform better if it is proven to be accurate. Even with research for healthy kidneys though, I don't think the OP should consume large amounts of protein as it has been proven scientifically that excess protein is hard on kidneys that are already having problems.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I stated a fully functioning non predisposed person with liver issues. Posting from my phone. Just as you say ou don't tryst body builders I can say the same for certified nutritionist/dietitians. I trust them as far as I can throw them :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Here is my story. At the beginning of my journey I was too excited about "lean protein with every meal" and I was doing really well. I ate Only meats, eggs, Greek yogurts, cottage cheese, fruits and veggies. Then I had a very bad kidney infection and ended up in ER.... I did not think it was related.

After that incident for a while I was recovering and was eating fruit, vegs, less meat and eggs, yogurts, some grains, bagels in the mornings.

But I have noticed that as soon as I start being really focused on my eating and go back to very protein meals, I feel it in my kidneys.

DOES ANYOME KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE RELATED?!!!

P.S. I have asked my doctor, but she seems so uninterested and almost clueless.. I should probably switch my primary physician! )))

Yes, it is very much related.

You need to eat a lot of protein, however, if you have kidney problems, too much protein can aggravate the problem even further.

I notice your daily protein amount is quite high.

Does your doctor know precisely just how much protein you are eating each day, perhaps she doesn't realise how high it is, hence why she seemed uninterested in that side of it.
  • mike6pak
    Options
    Some studies about the protein intake and a conclusion that it's NOT related to kidney issues. Of course they are all different group of people and the consumed protein also varies but all in all they are a good read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12639078

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10578207

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8933120

+

Am J Kidney Dis 2003 Mar;41(3):580-7
    Association of dietary protein intake and microalbuminuria in healthy adults: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. "Dietary protein intake was not associated with microalbuminuria in normotensive or nondiabetic persons."
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Some studies about the protein intake and a conclusion that it's NOT related to kidney issues. Of course they are all different group of people and the consumed protein also varies but all in all they are a good read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12639078

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10578207

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8933120

+

Am J Kidney Dis 2003 Mar;41(3):580-7
    Association of dietary protein intake and microalbuminuria in healthy adults: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. "Dietary protein intake was not associated with microalbuminuria in normotensive or nondiabetic persons."

Great articles. I love PubMed! This is what we use in my exercise physiology program to support all our arguments for or against various things. I had actually already read a couple of these because they were referenced in class.