Alternative to my sugar loaded morning coffees?

Options
13»

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I drink coffee with milk and sugar. I loathe fake sweeteners. So I am trying to cut back to one spoon of sugar for 16 oz of coffee. I tried not drinking coffee on sunday and the headache was so not worth it.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The only place I can't stand soy or almond milk is in my coffee. I use 1/4 cup whole milk per cup and have two 16oz cups.
    I agree on the stevia. I use it in tea. I like the extract best. Didn't even know they had flavored.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sweetner with milk instead of sugar and cream. Its not the sugar that's the worst its the cream. Like many posters have suggested just scale it back every week or few days...
    Tripple tripple
    Double double
    2 cream 1 sugar
    Regular
    Regular with milk
    One sugar no milk
    Half sugar no milk
    Black

Once you go black you never switch back...
    Why do you think cream is worse than sugar?
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For my morning coffee, I'm fond of aspartame for sweetness, and unsweetened coconut milk for that creamy texture. Pretty low calorie that way, and I think it's tasty.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    For me, if I can get ahold of a good latte or cappuccino, I don't require any added sugar, something I haven't been able to manage with drip coffee so I tend to stick with that. It helps that I've got a decent setup at home to make myself espresso drinks.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Stevia all the way! I am actually drinking my morning coffee right now with vanilla flavored stevia drops. 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 everything. Some people don't like the taste/aftertaste but I don't notice anything.

These are my favourite numbers ;) I think I will get some and give it a try!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So after some thought I have figured out that a lot and I mean a LOT of my calorie intake happens in the mornings with my coffee's. I have a couple of cups at home with 2-3 sugars in each then usually hit up Tim Horton's for a medium Triple Triple, which is going to be halted now that I am aware that there is over 300 calories in each cup and the carbs are insane also. My question is what could I drink instead that would be naturally sweet but not kill me calorie/carb wise.

Coffee with aspartame , sucralose, stevia, any of those. Coffee itself has very few calories.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Black coffee with a bit of unweetened almond milk and splenda? I think 8oz of almond milk is roughly 30 calories, and splenda should be no more than 5 calories per packet.

Personally, I prefer to drink my coffee black. It's a lot easier throwing in a kcup while I am programming my pump for breakfast, grabbing it, and running out the door.

ugh, I'd rather skip the sugar and and have the half-and-half. Now it I'm drinking black espresso (no "X" in espresso) I have it with real sugar and no milk.

It's a cultural Latino thing.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    For me, if I can get ahold of a good latte or cappuccino, I don't require any added sugar, something I haven't been able to manage with drip coffee so I tend to stick with that. It helps that I've got a decent setup at home to make myself espresso drinks.

Word, this!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My dietician said stevia is the only safe alternative to sugar, so it's what I use now. If I'm out and they don't have stevia, I just use Splenda.
    I don't think this is accurate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I use sugar, agave nectar, or Stevia, whichever suits my fancy at the time. Moderation is the key.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I just measure out 1 tablespoon of flavored coffee creamer. Gives me a sweet and creamy taste and only 35 calories, but I also only allow one cup a day or I get crazy shaky.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Reduce the sugar little by little. Or use splenda or stevia or something.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sugar free creamer is usually about 15-20 cal a tablespoon or a packet of sugar free coca (i think its around 50 calories?)
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    truvia and a few drops of real mexican vanilla... or fake crap like International delights sugar free, fat free caramel creamer.....

or Unsweetened almond milk (30 cal/cup ) with truvia or agave nectar
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I loved creamer, but I weaned my 3-4 cups of coffee down to 1- 1/2 and eventually started using whole milk with splenda. Then I switched to 2%. Now I use sweetened almond milk, no splenda.

I've just adjusted slowly, and I feel better for it.