Your favourite running shoes and how much they cost

Options
I know I need to keep on top of replacing my running shoes, lest I risk all sorts of wonderful joint injuries. I finally got rid of my first pair of Adidas runners that I had been using since I first started running when I bought a pair of Nikes that were on sale at Winners about a month and a half or two ago. I'm aware now that I need to be planning on replacing my running shoes more regularly. What type do you wear, how often do you replace them, and would you ever buy cheap running shoes? (Walmart brand, for example) Is there anything wrong with cheap shoes from Walmart, or is it better to not risk it? Are Nike, Adidas, etc. actually better than store brand shoes? My reaction from wearing a few different types is that yes, there is a definite difference, but I don't know for sure that cheaper shoes are necessarily "bad." Thoughts? Where do you buy your shoes, how often, and what do you pay?

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I stick with saucony brand running shoes, they make some great stability styles for me, I pronate (ankles roll inward) badly, and running 3-5 miles in them 2x per week leaves me feeling great, no pain. I used to get shin splints or occasionally knee pain when I did a lot of jogging in my tjmaxx steal deal new balance pair which didn't support my feet correctly. My shoes were around $110, I went to a running store and we tried three stability styles that the salesperson suggested based on how I run, and I've had them since last august; will ask for new ones again in august (boyfriend is off the hook for figuring what to buy me for my bday, its always new running shoes!) http://www.runpals.com/saucony-womens-stabil-cs-3.html http://www.runpals.com/
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I know I need to keep on top of replacing my running shoes, lest I risk all sorts of wonderful joint injuries. I finally got rid of my first pair of Adidas runners that I had been using since I first started running when I bought a pair of Nikes that were on sale at Winners about a month and a half or two ago. I'm aware now that I need to be planning on replacing my running shoes more regularly. What type do you wear, how often do you replace them, and would you ever buy cheap running shoes? (Walmart brand, for example) Is there anything wrong with cheap shoes from Walmart, or is it better to not risk it? Are Nike, Adidas, etc. actually better than store brand shoes? My reaction from wearing a few different types is that yes, there is a definite difference, but I don't know for sure that cheaper shoes are necessarily "bad." Thoughts? Where do you buy your shoes, how often, and what do you pay?

They say 300-500 miles are what most shoes can get. Depends on how you run, and how big/small you are as well. Much bigger person may have to replace sooner. I pretty much dont keep track and my legs basically tell me when I need new ones. They start to ache more on routine runs.

I would NEVER wear a pair of cheap running shoes. The only "cheap" shoes I would ever wear are the good makes/models that are on clearance because they are an older model. Most makers will make a cheap shoe to sell at walmart and discount stores. They will make them look all nice and stuff, but are not really for running. Those are for looks to wear to work or to match outfits.

Our run group of 10+ people all wear diff models so everyone is different. Dont ever buy a pair because of someones recommendation without trying them on and running a little bit. Most of the good running stores will let you run on a treadmill, or outside, to test them out.

My fav pairs are on the lunar platform from nike and run around $80 at the retail price. Since I know the make and model I like I search for the best prices online becuase many places have extra older models.

When that line ends or changes enough I dont like I will go back to a running store to test out new models and go from there.

The most expensive does not mean the best, but many times the absolute cheapest is just that......CHEAP.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel Kayano (about $150). It's like running on a cloud... LOL
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The best plan is to find a good running store and go in and get fitted. Many of these stores have a treadmill and will have you run on it and analyze your stride, gait, etc, and determine the best shoe for you. Of course most running stores are also pretty pricey, and some will only do the fitting if you buy from them. Others do it with no strings attached.

I've always worn Asics, but what's good for me might be horrible for someone else, so you can't really go by what someone's favorite is. But I am a bargain hunter, so I look for deals in stores and online. I got my current pair on Amazon for all of $8.50. :drinker: I found a good deal, and then took advantage of an Amazon offer that gave me $50 off my purchase for signing up for their Visa card.

Sometimes I find them at bigger stores like Sports Authority or even Kohls, and I use coupons to take a little off the price.

I track my mileage on my shoes with my Nike+ app, and go by that and how the tread on the sole is wearing to determine when they need to be replaced. I run on dirt a lot, so I like a trail runner that has a more aggressive sole, and when it starts to wear down, I start shopping for new shoes (or when I'm reaching 300-400 miles).
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statements. I wouldn't just go out and buy any random pair of running shoes. I had my gait analysed and tried on a few pairs and ran in them in store on the treadmill, and picked the ones that felt best (even though they are a crazy bright colour which I normally avoid).

I wear Asics Gel Kayano 20s. Now that I know these are my favourites I can just buy them cheaper online from now on. I'm 250miles into my current pair, and already have a new pair waiting because I won a voucher for a running store and bought them while I could. They cost £150 in store.

I also have a pair of New Balance trail shoes, but I put less thought into them because I only wear them once in a blue moon!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the input. When it comes to cost, price is basically no object for me. I am willing to pay top dollar for three things: Tools for work, good food, and workout gear. I've run on a treadmill in a gym before just so I could watch myself run in a mirror, and I notice if I'm not paying attention, my ankles wobble when I run. Partially fixed this by simply making sure my shoes were tighter, but definitely having someone watch me run and determining my shoe needs is a great idea. I will make time for that at some point.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If that's the case and you over-pronate (ankle rolls in when you run) then I would get it sorted sooner rather than later. Running in the wrong shoes can lead to all sorts of injuries. I over pronate, and I had the wrong shoes when I first started and ended up with Plantar Fasciitis, which is sore! And I couldn't run for 6 weeks until it healed!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Mama said they can take me anywhere.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Mizuno, Saucony, and Asics. And I try to stick to the rule of 300-500 miles or roughly training for and running a half marathon.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Flyknits, replaced every 8 months or so. They run usually about $100. The most comfortable lightweight shoe I have ever worn.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel-Kayano 20's so far. Low arches. - $120ish on sale. Seems to be the average for all of my shoes.

Keep a log of your shoes for reference and future purchases.

Shoe___________Size_____Notes
    Adidas__________12______Toe box to wide, blisters
    GT2000_________11.5_____OK fit, more miles = blisters, swollen foot, tight fit.
    GT2000-2________12______foot pain, poor materials
    GEL-Kayano 20___12______OK Fit
    GT3000_________12______OK fit - woreout @ 375 - itband pain

Miles of use before replacing
    Adidas______304.62
    GT2000_____426.80
    GT2000-2___4.66
    GT3000_____394.71

Going strong so far
    GEL-Kayano 20______95.16
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Saucony kinvaras off amazon after new model out: 55$

Altras off left lane sports: 50$

Inov-8 Left lane sports 60$

All of these are typically 100$+ in store.

I purchase my watches, bottles, socks etc from local running stores but, now that I know what I like, I buy my shoes online for price.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For me:

Road- Merrell barefoot Road Glove. I've tried many others, but always come back to this shoe for hard surfaces. I'd rather wear my old Merrells than my new ____ (fill in the blank). Minimalist isn't everyone's cup of tea, but these shoes made running fun for me. You can get them online <$75.

Trail- Salomon Sppedcross 3. My overall favorite shoe in the world. These things look awesome and make you an absolute beast off road. About $100 - $125.

Good luck!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just got fitted with Saucony's (Hurricanes) and I love them! They cost $160...was my Mother's Day gift :happy:
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I buy my Mizuno's from a running store for about $115. I have bought the same shoe online for about $15-$20 cheaper. I currently have 2 pairs of Mizuno's, but they tend to break down easily so I'm considering the Brooks Glycerin for $150.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel for about $ 100. Tried cheaper ones before and was not happy.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options

Mine are ASICS AND ARE GREAT REPLACING EVERY 6-8 MONTHS, THEY COST 120 € AND ARE OFF TRAIL SO ARE GOOD FOR NORMAL STREET AND OFF TRAIL.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ASICS!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big fan of the Nike Free... I would spend about $80 and get a good 6 months out of them. Then I won a raffle at the local Turkey Trot and got $125 to spend on a new pair of sneakers at the local running shop. I ended up with a pair of Brooks cascadia trail runners. I love them, and I know I will never be going for a pair of Nike again.

The difference I feel after a run is drastic, no more lower leg pain, or cramping muscles even my lower back stopped bothering me, which I had always assumed was just a bi-product of me actually running instead of sitting.

So it is well worth the additional money to go and get yourself fitted!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I buy "cheap" Saucony. Model is the Cohesion series (currently rotating 2 pairs of Cohesion 6). Cost around $45.

I wear those because they've been perfect for my feet. Mostly neutral with a slight suppination. These have always been comfortable on my feet (no blisters, toe rub, no issues at all). Though, I did try some Nike's once that I didn't like.

I track the mileage on mine through my Nike running app and have to replace them every 350-500 miles.