Your favourite running shoes and how much they cost

Options

Replies

• PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance minimalist in hot pink and Merrell barefoot. ( http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/31963W/82949/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove-2?dimensions=0 )
    Neither of these shoes give me knee problems and they also offer full support for my high arches. I like the fact they don't have a built up heel (zero drop) and are basically made for barefoot running. After wearing these I can't go back to regular shoes. They change the way you walk but in a good way.
    Overall I prefer Merrell. I feel they work my calves more and help with my posture. When my knees or feet hurt, I put these on and the pain is almost instantly relieved. I also like the fact I've never gotten blisters from them - with or without socks. The New Balance is really comfortable and cushiony and I have no problems with them but I just like the way Merrell feels better. Both run about $100
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love the Nike Air Maxes! They work for me. They are very expensive but worth it. They last for a pretty long time and I switch them up every 300 to 500 miles. I use the old ones for my circuits and weight lifting workouts.

I really want to try the Hokas but those are pretty expensive too.
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm too poor to afford to buy shoes for more than $100, but don't buy the walmart shoes. I usually get nike, but sometimes I've found adidas or new balances that I like. Last summer, I bought a pair of asics and got a case of plantar fasciitis. Once I got rid of the shoes, the pain finally went away.

I run 25-30 miles per week (4-13 miles per run) and replace my shoes every 300-400 miles. I've never bought them from a running store or got my gait analyzed.

If you're having pain, shoes might be the source, but not you don't need to shell out a ton of $$ to get shoes that work.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    barefoot - free!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Nike Air Monarch IV (cross trainers) and Nike Dart 10s.

The Monarchs have incredible cushioning, but are ever so slightly heavier. I use these for running on concrete or at the track. The Dark 10s are all around awesome, but usually reserved for treadmill running, or races.

Both are under $50.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    On my second pair of Brooks Ghost 7. I think they helped my shin splints and are really comfortable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Asics GT-1000. They are around $90.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Loooove Asics and the price varies depending on the model. When I started running, I loved running on the minimalist type shoes, but now I need a thicker heel support and the Asics def have it. If you're serious about running frequently, then I would advise investing in a good pair of shoes (if you can afford it of course). Go to the shoe store and try a bunch on, I like running down the aisles when I shop for shoes because...well why not?!

Hope you find a good shoe!!! :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My reaction from wearing a few different types is that yes, there is a definite difference, but I don't know for sure that cheaper shoes are necessarily "bad." Thoughts? Where do you buy your shoes, how often, and what do you pay?

Personally I've had the wrong shoes a number of times in the past and as a result I've suffered horrible lower leg injuries. I'm a chronic over-pronator so tend to need motion control shoes for road running. Trail shoes don't have the same distinction in terns of structure, in part because trail running needs more mobilitiy. I have found that a lot of trail work helps my knee and ankle stability far more than road running.

The wrong shoes are the ones that don't suit your gait, worst for me were a pair of Nike Air. The issue with lower end shoes is more about resilience. In principle a pair have about 300-500 miles, subject to weight, type of running, form etc but cheaper shoes will break down faster, increasing injury risk at a lower mileage. It becomes a question of how quickly you want to spend the money, rahter than the total amount you want to spend.

I use a runkeeper bolt on to track my mileage.

At the moment I have four pairs of road shoes that I rotate, keeping them about 100-150 miles apart in terms of mileage. That means less transition from old to new when I have to replace them.

My preference at the moment is Saucony, both road and trail.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd for sure go to a shoe store and get your gait looked at and be fitted properly. Let them know about your concerns with ankle rolls and pain, they're super helpful!

I've always been an Adidas kid. Ever since I could pick out my own tennis shoes, it's what I've always wanted to wear. I used to do the Adiprenes, then switched over to a pair of their ultra lightweight (less than 9oz!) shoes for running (can't remember the name). Now, I wear Adidas Boosts. My feet don't hurt, there is adequate room in the toebox and at about $140 a pair, they are by far the most expensive pair of tennis shoes I've ever purchased. Totally worth it. I'm a hard stepper, so the foam used in the heel helped cut down on leg pain.

My sister has issues with her ankles and foot stability and she wears Brooks exclusively. They hold her heel and have mitigated her plantar fasciitis...those run around $110-120 but sometimes you can find a sweet clearance.

Good luck!
  • __Bad_Leroy
    __Bad_Leroy Posts: 242
    Options
    Merell minimalist shoes. They list for about $100, but I picked them up at Marshall's for about $45.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Pure Cadence by Brooks. They run about $120
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love Asics I am on my second pair of those and have had no issues with them, they run about $110 and I usually get a new pair every year
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost 5 is the best ones I've found.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Nike Flyknit Lunar - About $120
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Runs.. the 5.0

You can get them on sale for $50ish but color variety is very limited.. but usually around $80-$100.. or you can create your own on Nike.com for $150
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    XeroShoes $29.00
    Guaranteed for 5000 miles.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Brooks Pure Project Shoes, Altra Shoes, Saucony are all great. I find the size and then shop on Amazon and Ebay. I would get expensive shoes but look for deals. I usually find $100 shoes for $60 or less. Try to stick to zero drop shoes with room in the toe box.
  • wardbri09
    wardbri09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just recently (yesterday) had my gait analyzed and feet fitted for new running shoes. I'm going with a different style and brand because I have a high arch in my foot. I purchased Glycerin by Brooks $150. They are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend getting fitted and measured for shoes instead of a random purchase.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I buy Saucony Kinvaras, and those run me $75-100 a pair, depending on if they're on sale or not. I don't mind the price though, because they're amazing shoes, and if I have two relatively fresh pairs, I can alternate and they last longer (or at least that's what I tell myself).