Science of What Works For Me Works For You

Options
I see variations of this posted a lot:
You are "all wrong", it's science, what works for me will work for another human unless they have a medical issue. It's very basic stuff, most of the time the people who say "it doesn't work for me" are just doing it wrong, don't blame the system, it's user error...
What I'd like to see is the science behind it. Does anyone have links to share that demonstrate that this is, indeed, proven?

I'm not looking for "Hur dur, it's basic" responses. Please either post a link directly to a scientific study or to an article that sites scientific studies or move along to another thread. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For every study posted, there will always be people to will "hurr durr derp" the study because it does not reflect their personal viewpoint.

Simple fact of the matter is any way of eating works as long as there is a deficit of calories to facilitate loss. The equation is very personal and is the real issue. What is someones BMR/TDEE ETC? Does person X really burn 500 cals in 30 minutes of X Activity?

You control your caloric input and exertion output, but the base numbers can and do vary wildly BEFORE you consider medical issues.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm in.........for the science!
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't have any hard evidence but I would say on a most basic level he's probably right. However, what works BEST for him is not likely to work BEST for someone else.

Plus all those non-scientific factors (habits, personal preferences, etc) are often far more powerful than the sciengific ones.

So getting past all my babbling, it's very arrogant to say what works for me will work for you quit whining.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    were you told something you didn't want to hear? Plenty of people here are more than willing to post data and references for their findings if you ask.

I've said this to other people, but if you are willing to come onto the boards to give advice (even with things that you perceive to work for you) be prepared to take advice yourself. This is a community where we exchange information and ideas, don't be offended if I ask you for proof or to back up a claim.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like the idea of providing scientific proof, however, I would argue that the science is only as good as the person presenting it. You can skew data in all sorts of ways and draw all sorts of conclusions from it depending on the point you want to prove.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day, it may not be scientific proof but, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What's your definition of "what works for me works for you"? My definition is thermodynamics. Others might be paleo. Others might be vegan.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I have the science to prove otherwise. It's on all the crime documentaries. It's called DNA. If we weren't unique snowflakes, police couldn't use DNA to solve crimes.

It's true that no human violates the laws of physics by expending more energy than they take in and/or have stored, that is the heart of the 'it works for everyone no matter what' argument, but there are variations in everything else. Including metabolic efficiency, gut flora and fauna, satiety, and pleasure triggers in the brain. Some is genetic, some is environment. All of it affects how we gain and lose weight. Sure, you can take any group of humans, chain them to treadmills, force feed them a calorie deficit, and get results. The results might vary a little in rapidity of loss and fat to muscle ratio lost, but they'll all lose weight. But even if such a life existed, who would sign up for it. Maybe temporarily, certainly not for a lifetime.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/45114489_Nutritionist's_variation_in_counseling_style_and_the_effect_on_weight_change_of_patients_attending_a_community_based_lifestyle_modification_program

To sum it up quickly, participants reduced caloric intake by 20% and increased exercise and lost weight.

You can read the article, I don't have time to read the whole thing because I'm at work.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Let's go with thermodynamics. Is the theory that, outside of known conditions like diabetes, that the efficacy of diet, etc. comes down only to thermodynamics and nothing else? So that, two people, A and B, neither suffering from any diabetes or similar conditions, should, on the same diet and regimen, perform exactly the same?

(I have no ulterior motives for starting this discussion, it's not out of some butthurt, it's not to refute anything about exercise or calories in vs. out, it's a) to expand my own knowledge and b) to see if there is evidence for something that I see presented often in these forums as fact is, in fact, a fact... as a matter of fact.)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Let's go with thermodynamics. Is the theory that, outside of known conditions like diabetes, that the efficacy of diet, etc. comes down only to thermodynamics and nothing else? So that, two people, A and B, neither suffering from any diabetes or similar conditions, should, on the same diet and regimen, perform exactly the same?

Yes to thermodynamics. No to performing exactly the same, because A has a different real BMR/TDEE and body composition than B.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Studies to prove what? That the laws of physics aren't specific to each individual? I don't understand.

This was my thought. It's common textbook-type information. No study is needed to show that burning more than you take in is what works.

ETA: Take into consideration, of course, medical conditions. This also doesn't mean that everyone has the same TDEE eating the same things and doing the same workouts. That is individual, but the science behind it, is not.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I see variations of this posted a lot:
    You are "all wrong", it's science, what works for me will work for another human unless they have a medical issue. It's very basic stuff, most of the time the people who say "it doesn't work for me" are just doing it wrong, don't blame the system, it's user error...
    What I'd like to see is the science behind it. Does anyone have links to share that demonstrate that this is, indeed, proven?

I'm not looking for "Hur dur, it's basic" responses. Please either post a link directly to a scientific study or to an article that sites scientific studies or move along to another thread. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that guy doesn't know anything, probably hasn't lost any weight at all....
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think whoever you quoted sounds pretty dumb.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Studies to prove what? That the laws of physics aren't specific to each individual? I don't understand.

Agree.

Law of Conservation of Energy.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    xvvKg.gif
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I think what you're looking for is PubMed. Considering we don't know precisely what "it" is that you're looking to validate/invalidate and there are many thousands of studies out there on weight loss and nutrition, you may just want to run the search on your own.