Science of What Works For Me Works For You

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I see variations of this posted a lot:
    You are "all wrong", it's science, what works for me will work for another human unless they have a medical issue. It's very basic stuff, most of the time the people who say "it doesn't work for me" are just doing it wrong, don't blame the system, it's user error...
    What I'd like to see is the science behind it. Does anyone have links to share that demonstrate that this is, indeed, proven?

I'm not looking for "Hur dur, it's basic" responses. Please either post a link directly to a scientific study or to an article that sites scientific studies or move along to another thread. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that guy doesn't know anything, probably hasn't lost any weight at all....

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I guess he needs help finding his studies. If you don't tell us what your looking for you are just wasting your time not asking for help.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I think whoever you quoted sounds pretty dumb.

I bet he drives a Kia
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Studies to prove what? That the laws of physics aren't specific to each individual? I don't understand.

Thanks, I couldn't figure out how to word it.

There aren't going to be studies on a basic and fundamental concept like this.

Here's how you know though, when you see a doctor he's going off what he knows ABOUT OTHER HUMAN BODIES to diagnose/treat yours. Because that works. Never once has someone gone into surgery, been sliced open, only to hear, "Good god! This person is made entirely of jam! We should have considered that."

We all have the same BASIC bodies (yes there are minor differences, but they're just that, minor)

Plus there's no point in providing evidence in this thread. There are already 9 different, "Ah whatever science says they say the opposite too! Hurr durr!"

We are all using the interenet. Try and have a little respect for science and a little less reliance on your own dumb, poorly thought out, "feelings."

I snorted. Loudly.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    "science" is easy to abuse though...

for instance:

"vegans and vegetarians are out of their minds"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Thermodynamics itself might be basic, in and of itself, but there's a few steps between ingestion of a food item and its reduction to a basic unit of energy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Thermodynamics itself might be basic, in and of itself, but there's a few steps between ingestion of a food item and its reduction to a basic unit of energy.

What is it you are trying to learn about thermodynamics? Exact question.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think whoever you quoted sounds pretty dumb.

I bet he drives a Kia

He's picky about where he drives it though in case it gets scratched
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I seriously wish I was made of Jam right now.

Mr_Jelly_Gif_By_Sookie_by_sookiesooker.gif
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Also this was the actual quote:

Yeah! We got it!

Carry on!

Clearly, if there's still a discussion, then I don't think you guys got it lol But to add something of value, correlation does not imply causation. Just because you smoke marijuana does not imply you drink alcohol, nor does following a 'Paleo diet' imply fat loss. Everybody's body is different, and what may work for one person may not work for another person :)

You are "all wrong", it's science, what works for me will work for another human unless they have a medical issue. It's very basic stuff, most of the time the people who say "it doesn't work for me" are just doing it wrong, don't blame the system, it's user error...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Usually when things don't work it is usually user error... it's true with techonology and it's true here too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the OP. Here's a taco.

dancing-taco-o.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Y'all a bunch of Kia haters.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Studies to prove what? That the laws of physics aren't specific to each individual? I don't understand.

This.

Also, I would firmly agree that what works for me may NOT work for you. But, that's going to come down to 99% adherence. For example, low carb might work for you and not for me. But, that wouldn't be because of science. That would be because you're better at sticking to low carb because you enjoy it and it fits your lifestyle while I hate it and so therefore am more likely to cheat or give up or reduce my activity, stuff like that. People are vastly different, but that's not because science is different from person to person, it's because people have varying preferences and responses to situations.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    so long as you are homo sapiens sapiens, you're going to fit within certain parameters. this is known as "human biology" b/c "human" is the term we commonly use in English for the species homo sapiens sapiens and "biology" is the study of living things.

are you homo sapiens sapiens AKA human? if yes, then you will fit within the basic parameters of that species when it comes to nutrition and fitness.

Source: my fourth grade biology book.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Movie_poster_for_Weird_Science_(1985).jpg
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    We are all using the interenet. Try and have a little respect for science and a little less reliance on your own dumb, poorly thought out, "feelings."
    What this is in reference to? I'm not talking about feelings. I'm talking about science. I just want to see it, not see discussion about it.

I find it funny that there's this underlying tone that I must be butthurt to be asking questions and looking for answers. Or that I don't respect science. Or I must have dumb, poorly thought out "feelings". As if whatever I feel, dumb or smart, has anything to do with it. Or if I was butthurt. So what? Does that make my question not worth answering?

Funny thing is, all I am asking is for proof for an assertion. I haven't even stated if I agree with said assertion or not, but most of the responses take aim at me as if I had attacked something. This shouldn't be that hard.

I get that ultimately it's thermodynamics but since the food we eat must be processed before thermodynamics kick in, there's more to it than that, right? Or wrong? I don't know.

Of course, I can and do search the internet myself but I figured that since this assertion is made so often on here, people might have the resources more readily available and, frankly, save me some time. Maybe I was wrong.