Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I've added 3 cups of salad and a hotdog link to my lunch and now I'm hitting 719, slightly nearing double my former calorie intake. My current stats though are 9% carbs, 61% fat, 30% protein. I can't add anymore carbs because I'm already hitting 16 grams--does anyone know what I could add to fix the percentages and get me maybe where I need to be?

Eat MORE of everything... 4 eggs, not one, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 8oz chicken etc etc

Upping the eggs and chicken fits perfectly! :) Thank you. I'm only keeping the peanut butter down because otherwise I'd be breaking ketosis. Hitting 897 calories now, so 1000+ more to go! right? Haha.

To be honest, your health isn't really funny, is it?
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    I don't like the keto part of your plan, but that is personal opinion. Ketogenic diets always struck me as the type of diet where you don't want to exercise but you want to lose weight quickly while eating fatty foods and you don't really care that forcing your body into an alternate metabolic pathway will do to you long term.

These diets work but they strike me as being rather extreme and unnecessarily so.

The funny part is that I hate fatty foods--I'd almost rather be vegetarian like my girlfriend is, but I guess the biggest reason I'm doing this is because I want to drop pounds but don't want to wait it out for two years. I'd rather be working out, lifting, jogging, and eating a healthier diet, but I have no idea where to turn.
  • Triplesget
    I've added 3 cups of salad and a hotdog link to my lunch and now I'm hitting 719, slightly nearing double my former calorie intake. My current stats though are 9% carbs, 61% fat, 30% protein. I can't add anymore carbs because I'm already hitting 16 grams--does anyone know what I could add to fix the percentages and get me maybe where I need to be?

Eat MORE of everything... 4 eggs, not one, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 8oz chicken etc etc

Upping the eggs and chicken fits perfectly! :) Thank you. I'm only keeping the peanut butter down because otherwise I'd be breaking ketosis. Hitting 897 calories now, so 1000+ more to go! right? Haha.

To someone it might be--if I weren't me, I'd wonder how I could ever let myself go like this. It's disgusting--I look disgusting. I'm tired of it, but I'd rather try to joke a little bit than act like a depressed twit.
  • Triplesget
    Also, have to point out: no medical insurance + not a lot of money = I probably won't be able to see a doctor or dietitian, which is why I'm here right now. Otherwise, I would have found a doctor like someone advised earlier.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I thought about that, but the family I have is supporting me all the way, I've checked out some of the specifics of what you go through early on and I think I can tolerate it we'll enough. It's a funny thing for a 315 pound nineteen year old to say, but I honestly believe I have the self control for this. I can honestly say for the first time that I REALLY do want this.

Look you are young enough to be my son so I'm going to try, I was 285 lbs when I started, and after yo yo dieting most of my life, 18 months ago I decided to finally take control of my health. Stop looking for a quick fix to a serious problem, and learn how to do it the healthiest, and easiest way for me.

You don't need to cut carbs, you don't need to be in ketosis you need to eat less and move more. Eat all the things you have always eaten just less of them, log them accurately and honestly. Have some patience. You are 19 you can do this, and you can do this while eating really good food.

Look at my diary I've lost 112 lbs in 18 months, while eating a wide variety of food.

Go for the long run and a way that you can sustain.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Are you doing 16g carbs or 16g net carbs?
  • Triplesget

Looking at my diary I'd say we're looking at 16g net. I'd like to point out that when it comes to health and fitness I am not too bright at all, obviously.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TavistockToad

To someone it might be--if I weren't me, I'd wonder how I could ever let myself go like this. It's disgusting--I look disgusting. I'm tired of it, but I'd rather try to joke a little bit than act like a depressed twit.

Yeah but eating under 900 cals is not sustainable or healthy, that's my point... If you think very low carb is a good way for you to eat, then fine, each to their own, but make sure you do it properly and have a realistic calorie goal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't like the keto part of your plan, but that is personal opinion. Ketogenic diets always struck me as the type of diet where you don't want to exercise but you want to lose weight quickly while eating fatty foods and you don't really care that forcing your body into an alternate metabolic pathway will do to you long term.

These diets work but they strike me as being rather extreme and unnecessarily so.

The funny part is that I hate fatty foods--I'd almost rather be vegetarian like my girlfriend is, but I guess the biggest reason I'm doing this is because I want to drop pounds but don't want to wait it out for two years. I'd rather be working out, lifting, jogging, and eating a healthier diet, but I have no idea where to turn.

Well you sort of spelled out what I think would be a better approach right there. You set a reasonable calorie deficit, you pick your calorie intake based on that, you log your calories and eat healthily (rounded meals including all the macros and adding up to all your micronutrients by days end) and you stick with it along with exercise.

Yeah it takes time but if you do it right you won't have to do it again.
  • GiveMeCoffee

Looking at my diary I'd say we're looking at 16g net. I'd like to point out that when it comes to health and fitness I am not too bright at all, obviously.

Since you are saying you aren't real bright when it comes to this, go read the links I put in here for you, and rethink this idea.

Good luck in whatever you do!
  • Triplesget

Yeah but eating under 900 cals is not sustainable or healthy, that's my point... If you think very low carb is a good way for you to eat, then fine, each to their own, but make sure you do it properly and have a realistic calorie goal.

I said it earlier but if you missed it that's fine, I understand. I'm NOT looking at doing LOW CALORIES. Part of the reason I'm on here with this is because I'm looking for tips on increasing my caloric intake. Sorry for not making that clear in the original post. I don't like that I'm getting under 1000 calories, or even under 2000, but when it comes to food and all I'm clueless. I just want help, I'm sorry.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Being a former morbidly obese person, I have to tell you, you're NOT eating enough and starving yourself sets you up for failure!!!!!!!!!

Get a personal trainer who also knows about nutrition and ask them what you should be eating!! You should be eating way more that what you are. More proteins, I eat over a 120g per day, less carbs, less fats. Invest in a trainer, I can't emphasize this enough!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    You need to eat WAY more! Curious, why are you deciding this is the way to lose weight?

Following the plan you have currently outlined, I see a few miserable days for you and your family, and then you giving up because it's not sustainable.

I thought about that, but the family I have is supporting me all the way, I've checked out some of the specifics of what you go through early on and I think I can tolerate it we'll enough. It's a funny thing for a 315 pound nineteen year old to say, but I honestly believe I have the self control for this. I can honestly say for the first time that I REALLY do want this.

Look you are young enough to be my son so I'm going to try, I was 285 lbs when I started, and after yo yo dieting most of my life, 18 months ago I decided to finally take control of my health. Stop looking for a quick fix to a serious problem, and learn how to do it the healthiest, and easiest way for me.

You don't need to cut carbs, you don't need to be in ketosis you need to eat less and move more. Eat all the things you have always eaten just less of them, log them accurately and honestly. Have some patience. You are 19 you can do this, and you can do this while eating really good food.

Look at my diary I've lost 112 lbs in 18 months, while eating a wide variety of food.

Go for the long run and a way that you can sustain.

This...

and...
    Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

QFT and emphasis

You can at more food, you don't have to follow the Keto diet. I eat what I want, drink what I want, I'm lifting heavy things and I'm losing weight by eating what I enjoy eating.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it has to be sustainable for your lifetime, not just until you reach your goal. Trust me, I've done the unsustainable approach just until I reached my goal. It might have taken a few years, but I gained it all back and then some.
  • Triplesget
    I added to the original post that I'm looking for MORE calories--I'm not trying to starve myself.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Get a gym membership, do cardio and lift weights, get on a 40/40/20, find out your BMR and TDEE and eat 500 less than your TDEE. Do it the right way, it's more gratifying in the end.
  • TavistockToad
    You have now said you're NOT looking to do low carb????
  • Triplesget
    I just wanted to reiterate that I'm not looking to this for life--I want to get a head start on my weight loss, and then I'll be converting over to a normal and healthy diet with plenty of exercise. This is just a temporary thing.
  • Triplesget
    You have now said you're NOT looking to do low carb????

I edited it wrong--I meant to put calories. Sorry.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    I added to the original post that I'm looking for MORE calories--I'm not trying to starve myself.

That is good.

But why ketogenic?