Critique My Keto Meal Plan?

Options

Replies

• Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    I agree with others that suggest you eat more. Lots more. With a lot to lose, you can certainly eat much more and still lose at a very good pace.

As an aside, if keto is how you really want to pursue this, you need to approach it as a lifestyle change. I know a lot of people that have been very successful with this diet, but every single one of them (including myself) has gained some or all of the weight back. If you're choosing this as a lifestyle, then go for it. However, if you're thinking "I'll do keto for a couple months then stop" then maybe you might want to rethink your game plan. Just my two cents.

Thank you. Honestly, I'm approaching this as "I'm going to try this to see where it goes." I want to see what results I'll get from it, instead of just knocking it without even the slightest attempt. That'd just be ignorant.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.

Not true. I eat keto style and I workout. I can get through my workouts just fine.

Agreed. Though some folks just DON'T do well on Keto & I think that's where some of the negativity stems from.

I'm on it for life, and I'm FAR from sedentary.

I eased in back my training program as I became accustomed to how my body felt. I was concerned with being able to consume enough calories because as someone else already stated, I just wasn't feeling hungry.

The last thing I wanted to do was fail in the middle of a squat :blushing: After about a month of getting used to the new me, new diet etc. I started lifting again.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm almost convinced that I might have a metabolic problem. I can't really reach a doctor to find out, but after having tried "reasonable" diets before, for up to a year at times, I just don't see or get any change. It's frustrating.

No, you do NOT have a metabolic problem! I'd bet the farm you've never tried a truly reasonable pattern of eating and exercise - note I didn't use the "D" word. Come back when your next fad fails and maybe you'll listen to reason then.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that suggest you eat more. Lots more. With a lot to lose, you can certainly eat much more and still lose at a very good pace.

As an aside, if keto is how you really want to pursue this, you need to approach it as a lifestyle change. I know a lot of people that have been very successful with this diet, but every single one of them (including myself) has gained some or all of the weight back. If you're choosing this as a lifestyle, then go for it. However, if you're thinking "I'll do keto for a couple months then stop" then maybe you might want to rethink your game plan. Just my two cents.

Thank you. Honestly, I'm approaching this as "I'm going to try this to see where it goes." I want to see what results I'll get from it, instead of just knocking it without even the slightest attempt. That'd just be ignorant.

I want to swim across the Atlantic, but people are telling me why that is impractical for me. But I want to see what results I'll get from it, instead of just knocking it without even the slightest attempt. That'd just be ignorant.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    Also, I'm almost convinced that I might have a metabolic problem. I can't really reach a doctor to find out, but after having tried "reasonable" diets before, for up to a year at times, I just don't see or get any change. It's frustrating.

No, you do NOT have a metabolic problem! I'd bet the farm you've never tried a truly reasonable pattern of eating and exercise - note I didn't use the "D" word. Come back when your next fad fails and maybe you'll listen to reason then.

Thanks.
  • Triplesget
    Options

I want to swim across the Atlantic, but people are telling me why that is impractical for me. But I want to see what results I'll get from it, instead of just knocking it without even the slightest attempt. That'd just be ignorant.

Thanks.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Ignorance is not listening to all the advice you've been given, but it's up to you if you want to prove for yourself what's already been proven. Enjoy your temporary, unsustainable results.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am just going to repeat what everyone else is saying. You need to add way more food. It is understandable why someone would want to lose weight fast...we live in a want it RIGHT NOW age.

However, it is dangerous to your health and over all well being to be too restrictive, at your age you should be setting out to set up a healthy, sustainable lifestyle you can stick with for the rest of your life, not trying to sprint to some 'finish line'.

Your TDEE is 3421, how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who needs 3421 to maintain? Your BMR is 2851 again how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who if in a coma would need 2851 to survive? You aren't in a coma are you? You get up and presumably get out of bed everyday - right? I mean you are typing on a computer - which takes calories (energy) to do.

If you take 20% of you TDEE you get 2737 this is closer to where you should be, with this you will set yourself up for a healthy, steady, sustainable weight loss which will also allow you to include exercise as part of your healthy, steady, sustainable plan.
    Also there is no need to exclude food groups or what some people call 'bad' foods. There are no bad foods, you need all the macros (and micros) for energy and health. Balance them closer to the 40/30/30 % (whatever works for you).

Do it right this time around so you can continue to do it right for the remainder of your life. Good luck.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Ignorance is not listening to all the advice you've been given, but it's up to you if you want to prove for yourself what's already been proven. Enjoy your temporary, unsustainable results.
    [/quote]

I have been listening, I have been reading everything, I have been checking out and reading through all of the links, tips, etc. I'm carrying on with all of this because I just want more answers, tips, links, help, etc. I weigh 315 pounds, and I'm not even 20 years old yet--obviously I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and need all of the help I can get.
  • tanyagutierrez313
    tanyagutierrez313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    true...i tried the 17 day diet and i couldn't exercise at all; not worth it to me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keto and exercise imo isn't a great combination, keto works well if you're sedentary. The lack of carbs is really going to make you feel depleted and unenergetic.

Not true. I eat keto style and I workout. I can get through my workouts just fine.

Some can, others cannot...its body dependant and you won't know until you commit and roll those dice. Carbs are going to allow anyone the energy needed for a workout and there is no real reason to avoid them.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    If I do work with a reasonable, smart, well organized and planned out diet; along with plenty of exercise, what am I looking at losing within my first year? This is just one thing I'm dying to find out. No joking, no sarcasm--I'm being completely serious and would like someone else to be too. I'm desperate to stop being this fat and gross and want to be more fit, active, and happy. What would I be looking at after a year? Two years? I'm 315 lbs, 6'3, 19 years old, and as far as I've been told people my size and age can drop weight faster and better, but I really just don't know. I'm sorry for coming off as crazy or stupid with this thread, but I just want help. :/
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I am just going to repeat what everyone else is saying. You need to add way more food. It is understandable why someone would want to lose weight fast...we live in a want it RIGHT NOW age.

However, it is dangerous to your health and over all well being to be too restrictive, at your age you should be setting out to set up a healthy, sustainable lifestyle you can stick with for the rest of your life, not trying to sprint to some 'finish line'.

Your TDEE is 3421, how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who needs 3421 to maintain? Your BMR is 2851 again how is less than 1000 calories good for someone who if in a coma would need 2851 to survive? You aren't in a coma are you? You get up and presumably get out of bed everyday - right? I mean you are typing on a computer - which takes calories (energy) to do.

If you take 20% of you TDEE you get 2737 this is closer to where you should be, with this you will set yourself up for a healthy, steady, sustainable weight loss which will also allow you to include exercise as part of your healthy, steady, sustainable plan.
    Also there is no need to exclude food groups or what some people call 'bad' foods. There are no bad foods, you need all the macros (and micros) for energy and health. Balance them closer to the 40/30/30 % (whatever works for you).

Do it right this time around so you can continue to do it right for the remainder of your life. Good luck.

At 315 pounds he'd probably be fine pushing past TDEE - 20% and eating only 2400. "Only" 2400 though is like 5 times more than his current plan.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If I do work with a reasonable, smart, well organized and planned out diet; along with plenty of exercise, what am I looking at losing within my first year? This is just one thing I'm dying to find out. No joking, no sarcasm--I'm being completely serious and would like someone else to be too. I'm desperate to stop being this fat and gross and want to be more fit, active, and happy. What would I be looking at after a year? Two years? I'm 315 lbs, 6'3, 19 years old, and as far as I've been told people my size and age can drop weight faster and better, but I really just don't know. I'm sorry for coming off as crazy or stupid with this thread, but I just want help. :/

In one year you could go from 315 to 225 probably while maintaining a healthy diet, not losing muscle and improving your fitness. I think for someone who is quite obese an 90 pound loss over a year is very feasible.

225 at 6'3'' you will probably be looking pretty good.

Keep in mind also there is another aesthetic reason to not lose fat too quickly. Loose skin. I'd prefer to appeal to you practically and say you shouldn't do your plan because it isn't healthy and won't work but I will also try to appeal to you in this way. If you managed to drop all that weight in like 5 months you would have one hell of a loose skin problem.
  • dlionsmane
    Options

It will really depend on a lot of variables. Plug in your numbers here to see http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But weight loss is not linear and there are no guarantees there will also be ups and downs and maybe even long periods of 'stalling'. Patience and consistency is what you need. You have a long life ahead of you, what's the rush???
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My go to meal is a pound of ground turkey/chicken, vh sweet chili thai sauce mixed with broccoli or any green vegetable its about 700 calories.
  • bittermormon
    bittermormon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add leafy greens or you'll be waking up with leg cramps due to lack of potassium.
  • Triplesget
    Options

It will really depend on a lot of variables. Plug in your numbers here to see http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But weight loss is not linear and there are no guarantees there will also be ups and downs and maybe even long periods of 'stalling'. Patience and consistency is what you need. You have a long life ahead of you, what's the rush???

I'm just tired of being this big and this out of shape. I've had to deal with it my entire life and just want to be done with it, soon. I'm also tired of putting everyone around me through it and having to have them just watch me destroy myself
  • dlionsmane
    Options

At 315 pounds he'd probably be fine pushing past TDEE - 20% and eating only 2400. "Only" 2400 though is like 5 times more than his current plan.

Yeah, that is why I said "around" that number... Getting to the point of needing to be way above where he was currently at.