Dont starve yourself they say

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I get super angry when I hear people say "Oh don't starve yourself" "Oh, it'll make you gain more weight"
    Yet my friend, "Lynn", does just that. And she's lost 27 pounds in just 3 months.... It's taken me six months just to lose 26.
    I exercise and watch what I eat. I have a standing job.
    She sits at her computer all day, starving herself. If she does eat, it's junk food, and then she makes herself throw up.

It pisses me off and makes me really want to quit. not quit losing weight... quit being healthy. I know some of you are going to be rude and talk about "how I'm whining"

But seriously.... what the hell.... is it really just easier just to starve myself... I want to lose weight quicker.

Your friend has developed an unhealthy relationship with food. Making herself throw up is an eating disorder, one you want no part of. Unfortunately, she is losing the weight quickly so that reinforces her behaviour but at some point she is going to be a very sick gal if she doesn't stop. You, on the other hand are learning to eat properly to nourish your body and lose the weight in a sustainable manner. The skill learned during your weight loss will help you maintain your new weight. Relax and enjoy knowing the weight will come off if you just keep doing what you are doing.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You're not whining, you're winning. You get to keep your health. And your teeth. If you take up your friend's habits, you risk losing both, and quickly. Better to be patient and keep chugging along. Congrats on 26 pound down.
    QFT!
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as someone who suffered from an eating disorder for around 10 years, I find this thread offensive and upsetting. An eating disorder is not a diet. The whole thread should be removed.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The reason people say don't starve yourself is because it doesn't work long term.

Starving yourself works in the short term. It works very well. Being anorexic works in the short term. Fad diets work in the short term. They work very well. But when you stop dieting and you stop making yourself throw up after eating, you gain all of that weight back. Honestly, most people that are anorexic end up weighing more when it's all said and done than they did when they decided to be anorexic.

So basically, if you want to lose a lot of weight in the short term, then by all means, starve yourself. But understand, that when you start back eating normally, you will probably gain all of that weight back.

If you want to lose it and keep it off, then you have to make some changes to your life.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as someone who suffered from an eating disorder for around 10 years, I find this thread offensive and upsetting. An eating disorder is not a diet. The whole thread should be removed.

You have the option to report the post as being offensive. The mods will then look at it and make a decision.
  • starcollapsing
    Options
    Don't worry, I have.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I have.

And you have every right to as anyone can, but as someone who has been through what the OP's friend is going through do you not have words of encouragement to help OP help their friend and also prevent the OP from going the same way?
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    as soon as your friend eats like normal she's going to go right back to original size.

It's not a long-run solution unless you literally want to kill your body.
  • starcollapsing
    Options
    Sure. Educate yourself and get professional help.
    You can be healthy whatever your weight is. First having and then having to recover from an eating disorder were the most horrendous, traumatic experiences of my life.
    Is the OP (or her friend) likely to take my advice? Doubt it.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I know you're just venting. I too get annoyed and frustrated when some people take very unhealthy routes to lose weight. They see results fast, but I guarantee they won't keep it off. Either they'll get extremely ill and will be hospitalized, or they'll gain the weight back. Eating disorders are NEVER good. I'm sure you know this, that's why you're doing this the healthy way. It really is frustrating when we work so hard for something and it takes longer. But we're the ones who will keep it off and stay healthy.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I know you're just venting. I too get annoyed and frustrated when some people take very unhealthy routes to lose weight. They see results fast, but I guarantee they won't keep it off. Either they'll get extremely ill and will be hospitalized, or they'll gain the weight back. Eating disorders are NEVER good. I'm sure you know this, that's why you're doing this the healthy way. It really is frustrating when we work so hard for something and it takes longer. But we're the ones who will keep it off and stay healthy.

frustrating that people dont always listen,but I dont understand the venting or annoyance when in this case we all know it will not end well.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    I hear you about wanting things "now". Trust me. I've met many people who seemingly fall in **** and come up smelling of roses and yet, in the long term, it hasn't paid off for them. As an aside, I'm a dental nurse who has seen the effects of bulimia, drug addiction etc on peoples teeth -let me tell you, it's not pretty. And that's just what's happening with their teeth! Can you imagine what's happening elsewhere in their body? Let alone their mental/emotional self?

As a long term dieter let me say this, I STILL have urges to undertake unhealthy weight loss means , 'tis an internal battle I fight on almost a weekly basis.But, I know better and what it comes down to is this, I'm a stubborn bisch who refuses to give in.I've lost a decent amount of weight over the years but sometimes I need to take a time out to remind myself that patience is key.

We got this. We KNOW what it takes to do this in a healthy manner. DO NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT.

Wishing you every success and happiness.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Besides the future effects she is risking (esophagus issues, teeth rotting, gum disease, etc) - take a good whiff of her breath. There is a woman at the gym who is *perfect* - her body could not be any better and I would LOVE To look like her. She is beautiful!

But you cant have a conversation with her - her breath smells like vomit from a foot away. I feel really sorry for her, to get to that point of looking so good but in a way that is jeapardizing her future and making her "unattractive" in such a weird counterproductive way.

Do it right. No regrets.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Besides the future effects she is risking (esophagus issues, teeth rotting, gum disease, etc) - take a good whiff of her breath. There is a woman at the gym who is *perfect* - her body could not be any better and I would LOVE To look like her. She is beautiful!

But you cant have a conversation with her - her breath smells like vomit from a foot away. I feel really sorry for her, to get to that point of looking so good but in a way that is jeapardizing her future and making her "unattractive" in such a weird counterproductive way.

Do it right. No regrets.

How are you sure she's bulimic? Breath can stink for any number of reasons?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would you compare yourself to someone who is bingeing and purging? Seriously?

Sounds like you need to get yourself some non-scale goals and focus on those. There's far more to being healthy than just a number on a scale.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight or improve your health? They are not necessarily synonyms, especially where mental wellbeing and longevity come into play.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I get super angry when I hear people say "Oh don't starve yourself" "Oh, it'll make you gain more weight"
    Yet my friend, "Lynn", does just that. And she's lost 27 pounds in just 3 months.... It's taken me six months just to lose 26.
    She sits at her computer all day, starving herself. If she does eat, it's junk food, and then she makes herself throw up.

It pisses me off and makes me really want to quit. not quit losing weight... quit being healthy. I know some of you are going to be rude and talk about "how I'm whining"

But seriously.... what the hell.... is it really just easier just to starve myself... I want to lose weight quicker.

weight is just one marker of many for health. You also want dense bones (lower risk of osteoporosis), muscle mass (lower risk of joint problems and other degenerative things in old age) and you want healthy skin and hair, right? (it looks better) - you want your body to be strong and to have all the nutrients it needs, right?

health is not measured in pounds lost, it's measured in a whole range of things like the above (and a lot more)...... losing more weight or losing faster is not "winning"........ maintaining healthy body composition for life is what the goal should be, and it's not a competition.
  • PonderinGal
    Options

Hey, join the club! I am sick of STRUGGLING to lose these last 20 pounds, but at the same time I am very familiar with the greater misery involved in having an eating disorder. I had anorexia for 6 years and, though I was the envy of everyone around me (at least, my tall, emaciated body was; idiots!), I had no life, no happiness, nothing. All I had was an obsession; it completely controlled my life. I was miserable, I was physically and emotionally ill, and I was alone. Even as I struggle to lose weight now, I feel myself slipping dangerously back into those obsessive and miserable habits, just to make this process go by faster. But I know that, in the long run, it's not worth it; I want to have a life, and I don't mean pigging out or anything. I mean I want my life not to be about my appearance, about numbers on a scale, or about calories. It's becoming like that and it's utterly dismal. Your friend is not happy and she probably needs your help more than you need to lose weight faster. You can take my word for it, she may be thin, but she's miserable and very lonely.

It's terse and potentially irritating to hear it, but keep up the good fight and don't let this weight game be victorious over your life. It really does rob you of so much. Just be healthy and focus on other things, like what you enjoy, who you are as a person, and how you can help others.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've heard meth addiction is a great way to lose weight too. Maybe you should start doing that? I mean...it's easier than actually being disciplined and putting effort into your physical health and working hard to achieve your goals.

Yup, that's it. Meth is totally the solution.
    but meth costs money haha. starving yourself is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~
    (^ said with humor)
    I understand your message.... it's just hard. Have you never had anyone in your life get things the easy way? And if you have, have you never wished there was an easy button? Or wished you could just do what they did just as easily? I plan on staying healthy... I'm just going through a sad phase right now b/c I want to lose weight just as easily as her.

Why do you think she's getting things the easy way? More like she's getting what she wants right now, but paying a terrible price for it, i.e. her health (and possibly her life if she carries it on long enough). And she's not happy now, she might look happy to you but she's constantly hungry and miserable and purging herself... that's a really unpleasant way to live, don't you think?

There is no easy button, and she isn't getting anything the easy way.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though your friend needs professional help instead of complaints...