Awkward topic and I apologize for this...

Options

Replies

• shellyshuey86
    Options
    Another vote for Probiotics. I have no bloating and feel much healthier with them.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in here and agree that it is not good advice to tell someone to stop what is likely their main source of potassium. One a day is totally fine and your body NEEDS potassium.

She can get plenty of potassium from beans, potatoes, spinach, fish, etc. Bananas are a good source of potassium, but not the best source. I think bananas get all the attention because they are convenient and because most people like them. Spinach and mushrooms are harder to carry around in your bag and much less sweet, but they are arguably better sources of potassium.

Exactly. I hardly ever eat bananas (don't like them very much), but I still consume plenty of potassium.
    There are lots of other foods with more potassium than bananas: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
    Not on the list is sweet potato which is also higher in potassium than bananas. Include it, and banana wouldn't even be in the top 10.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the enemy of healthy bowels? This is news to me. I eat bananas like nobodies business and I've never had this problem. I usually eat at least 8 bananas a week, sometimes 10 or even 11.

I think a more accurate thing to have said for being the enemy of healthy bowels is that they're no good for people who suffer constipation. My 10 year old son has had constipation issues since birth and dairy and bananas are on the 'avoid' list per the pediatrician. They're binding. I can eat them with no problem, though, it's just how some people react.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the enemy of healthy bowels? This is news to me. I eat bananas like nobodies business and I've never had this problem. I usually eat at least 8 bananas a week, sometimes 10 or even 11.
    Thank you! That is completely false. I eat at least 1-2 every day, and I go every single morning first thing like clockwork. I do have a little shot of coffee before, but I don't even track fiber because I go way over every day. Actually under ripe bananas are can contribute to a firming so to speak, but over ripe bananas can actually have the opposite effect. Drink more water, get more fiber from whole food and you should be fine. If that doesn't work, you should see a doctor.
    Oh, gracious. Just because something isn't a problem for you doesn't mean that all science, or that other people's opposite anecdota, is incorrect. I'm so happy for you that you don't have this problem, but to claim that what doctors have told me and what many other people on this thread agree with is "completely false" just because it isn't true for you is silly and unhelpful.
    All science?? I'm not even going to touch that silliness. I was saying that "bananas are the enemy of HEALTHY bowels" is completely false, and it is. If you have had a lifelong issue with constipation, you do not have healthy bowels. This is why the OP should see a doctor if the things that people with healthy bowels do don't work for her.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    OP- have you had your thyroid checked? Constipation is a very common symptom of low thyroid.

This right here.

Other signs are dry skin, thin hair and eye brows, difficulty maintaining or losing weight, sensitivity to cold, cold hands and feet, irritability, mood swings, fatigue...

Cut back on dairy, increase fiber, add prunes and ground flaxseed, get your healthy fats in, drink your fluids, and check in with your doctor about your thyroid if you have any of the others symptoms.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know this is awkward to discuss, but we all do it, and I need feedback.

I get constipated a lot. And a lot of people tell me since I work out regularly and drink a lot of water that I really shouldn't be having that problem. But I can only go number 2 like once a week, and when I do, it's like a thirty minute bathroom break. I don't really know why this is, but does anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? It's really inconvienent lol

If you need to look through my diary to see if i'm eating something that may cause that, feel free to. My aunt told me last weekend that too many bananas can cause constipation, and I typically eat one every morning at breakfast, but I've stopped since she told me that.

Any advice or help to get a regular bowel movement going again…? Again, sorry for the awkward topic!

I had a friend with this issue, he ate an apple every day. It helps with constipation and that's where the trusty saying came from: An apple a day keeps the doctor away ;)
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    Thank you! That is completely false. I eat at least 1-2 every day, and I go every single morning first thing like clockwork. I do have a little shot of coffee before, but I don't even track fiber because I go way over every day. Actually under ripe bananas are can contribute to a firming so to speak, but over ripe bananas can actually have the opposite effect. Drink more water, get more fiber from whole food and you should be fine. If that doesn't work, you should see a doctor.

Oh, gracious. Just because something isn't a problem for you doesn't mean that all science, or that other people's opposite anecdota, is incorrect. I'm so happy for you that you don't have this problem, but to claim that what doctors have told me and what many other people on this thread agree with is "completely false" just because it isn't true for you is silly and unhelpful.

There is an interesting distinction that people aren't mentioning when it comes to bananas...

The main issue is the starch and the more green the banana, the more starch it has. Generally, fully ripe bananas are not an issue for constipation ("generally" meaning that all bodies are different, but this is what the general science says). However, if you like your bananas more green, that adds starch content which can contribute to constipation.

Fully ripe bananas can often help with bowel movements (plus the added potassium). However, if you're like me, you may not enjoy fully ripe (I like a little green!).

Try letting bananas get very ripe and then freeze them and use in a fruit and veggie smoothie - all those fruits and veggies will give you a ton of fiber and then, with the banana being fully ripe, you will get all the benefits of the banana with less starch.

(I'm glad bananas don't bind me up because I love them!) ;)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Probiotic acidophilus is available at any pharmacy in the vitamin aisle. They are inexpensive too.

Lactobacillus acidophilus represents one of the many varieties of Lactobacillus bacteria. It's the most frequently used probiotic when it comes to nutritional supplementation, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. L. acidophilus works by breaking down food in the digestive tract, a process that leads to the production of both lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide, and ultimately helps prevent the growth of unhealthy bacteria. L.acidophilus is frequently used to fight vaginal yeast infections, diarrhea, indigestion and constipation.
  • psylvester1
    Options
    I think some of us are just prone to that problem. I'm 56 and have struggled with this issue since my early 20's, when I was thin. For years now, I have taken fiber tablets every day. How many depends on what else I've eaten that day, i.e., heavy on the veggies=less tablets.

My doctor told me years ago that "once a day" isn't the norm for everyone and suggested the tabs. They work like a charm.

I apologize if TMI.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    At the liquor store, there's a poster about being asked for ID that says 'some day you'll have to drink soluble fiber. enjoy looking young'.

Implying that only the elderly need to supplement fiber. Welp, I'm 25, had the same problem as you, and have started putting powdered fiber supplements in my tea twice a day. Let's just say it has helped haha.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Something I learned once I had a young child: focus on some "p" fruits and veggies. Prunes, plums, peaches, peas, and pineapples all help get things moving.

Add pears to that list
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your water intake and fruits and vegetables. Also add fiber to your diet!
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Just want to say for the record that all I was doing was registering my shock that so many people find bananas to be such and issue when I've never had that issue or even heard of it. Also, I was more leery about the person who said that bananas were UNHEALTHY for your bowels, not that they were binding. A lot of very healthy foods have negative side effects. I doubt bananas are truly unhealthy for any part of your body.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Since, I have decreased my calorie intake, I find that I have a bit more of a problem. I use to be quite timely. Right now I drink a tablespoon of Metamucil every evening and that seems to keep things regular.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had this problem to the point I didn't go for months.. I ended up in the hospital several times. I found out I'm allergic to wheat. So the only way for me to get fiber is a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat them with every meal. Lots of fruits and veggies and lots of water. If it doesn't work, go see the doctor!
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You basically just described my life. I upped my fiber, upped my fats, upped my water intake, and drank a super strong cup of coffee in the morning and I've been doing pretty alright for the last few weeks!!! Good luck!!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating an ungodly amount of bananas I doubt that is the issue. You need more fiber and maybe some more water. See a doctor just to make sure nothing else is wrong. There are all kinds of things that can cause constipation so seeing a doc can narrow it down a bit.
  • pmart611
    pmart611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just one more food to call out that I find works great -- Watermelon! It is rich in both water AND fiber.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Hmm you're getting enough fibre and water... How's about your vitamins and minerals intake? like veggies? Do you find you get in enough?

I'm no expert, but to be honest it could even be something related to your digestive system that doesn't accept as much fibre as it's meant to.. I know some people can't even have a scratch of fibre because their poop goes cement and suffer with extreme agony!
  • kathibatson
    Options
    I am no doctor, but I do watch Dr. Oz. He says one thing that is very good for you (all of us) that might help your situation, is Meta-mucil. I take it myself, occasionally but not twice a day like he says to but I do not suffer from constipation either. It sounds like there is really no reason for you to have trouble, with drinking lots of water. I also eat bananas (one) every morning in my cereal, and I have never had constipation, so I don't know how much truth there is to them causing it. I know it is uncomfortable and I do hope you find a good solution soon. Good luck dear!