How often to weigh self on scale?

Options
124»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Once a week, anything else is uncivilized.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month....,
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh in? I try to get on scale daily (first thing in the morning after I pee and before I eat or drink anything) - I probably remember to do it approximately 4 days a week. I find that helps me stay on track and gives me immediate feedback and motivation. Only issue is that I can't get too caught up in the minor bobbles up and down. Have to look more for the general trend of loss of maintenance. What works best for you? Daily? Weekly? something else?

This is what I do, but I don't consider a change in weight "real" unless it sticks around 3 days in a row. That way, I don't get caught up in the crazy fluctuations.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. First thing in the morning (before breakfast, after visiting the washroom).

I know most people don't like this, but I do. It motivates me. I log the difference every single day. Yes, the chart does go up and down everyday due to normal fluctuations, but I like seeing the overall trend go down over time.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    only after each time I go to the bathroom..
  • Butterfly_1
    Butterfly_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    every day, but I don't freak if it goes up suddenly. I know how much I eat, so gaining 2lbs overnight isn't really an issue for me. Unless I was sleep eating, I know I didn't consume an extra 7000 calories overnight :laugh: But... it usually does clue me into drinking some extra water, so in that way it's helpful for immediate feedback.

this happened to me too! - i weighed myself last night before going to bed, and when i weighed this morning, i gained 3 lbs! go figure...

i love weighing myself to see the #s go down, but i never take it to heart or get depressed if it goes up, only because my real weight loss tracker/motivation are my clothes :)
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily so I can track the fluctuations. I feel like if I weighed weekly, I would never know what other variables (water retention, bathroom weight, etc.) were affecting the numbers.

Over time, I've noticed that my weight cycles up and down, but the peaks and valleys get lower each time when I'm losing weight. I only record new low weights, because I like them the best :bigsmile:

ETA: I also feel like weighing daily has desensitized me to the numbers a bit and helped me focus on the big picture (especially as I'm trying to lose slowly right now). But I can see how it would do the opposite for other people.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily which is tracked on here. I average the weekly weights at the end of the week and summarize it in a spreadsheet that I'm keeping. I'm able to see a clearer trend that way and, hey, I like data!