Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can't get drunk

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Listen OP, I get what you're saying. It's weird, but after I have abstained for a while, the first time I drink, even if it's a lot, I don't have the same reaction to the alcohol as I've had in the past. I don't get super drunk and I don't have much of a hangover either. I am very Irish so maybe that accounts for some of it.

Now if I were to go on and imbibe the next night.... I'm on the train to hammertown. I will also have a terrible hangover. People's brains have very different reactions to alcohol, and I hate to tell you, but being an alcoholic has something to do with it. (Believe me!) If you were getting drunk quicker and even having bad hangovers before you cut back, there is a good chance you were physically dependent on alcohol at the time and starting to suffer the effects of long term drinking. Now that you have cut back, your body has had a chance to recover so the ill effects are far less. If you were to return to your old drinking habits for a few days or weeks, you'd be right back where you were before or possibly even worse off. An alcoholic's brain will readjust very quickly when exposed to the drug.

I know most people in here are going to think I am being ridiculous, but I think many, many people have a problem with alcohol and never know it or choose not to acknowledge it. Drinking to get drunk is the norm in our country but that doesn't mean it won't have any ill effects. Just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it healthy by any means. It is a cultural problem IMO, but I'm not one to talk. I am enjoying a nice glass of wine right now. I view it like smoking though. I know it's bad for me but everyone has to have a vice right?

Anyways, long story short, alcoholism has nothing to do with how frequently you drink alcohol but the reasons WHY you drink and the effect it has on you. Only you can know the truth. Hope I was more helpful than insulting. I speak from experience on this subject.

You were not insulting. I will say I never get hangovers. In the past if I had to wake up earlier than usual, I'd drink hard alcohol the night before because I wake up 6 hours later full of energy. I'm not a morning person. I'd drink wine for the opposite reason, to fall asleep.

60 Minutes recently had a segment on over 90 year olds. Survey says, drinker of 1-2 per night live longer.

However you have to justify it...
  • nezbit88
    nezbit88 Posts: 37 Member
    I have also found the opposite! I was a very heavy drinker and same as OP I could drink a bottle of red just to get started - I'd top it off with spirits or a few beers and although drunk was fully functional and could wake up and feel fine. Now (after cutting back significantly and eating under 700-800 cals a day) if I manage to get through the same amount I am trashed and end up with a 12 hour hangover.

By no means do I endorse low calorie diets, heavy drinking or a combination of the two - I am just very suprised that she could actually lose tolerance after cutting back.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Listen OP, I get what you're saying. It's weird, but after I have abstained for a while, the first time I drink, even if it's a lot, I don't have the same reaction to the alcohol as I've had in the past. I don't get super drunk and I don't have much of a hangover either. I am very Irish so maybe that accounts for some of it.

Now if I were to go on and imbibe the next night.... I'm on the train to hammertown. I will also have a terrible hangover. People's brains have very different reactions to alcohol, and I hate to tell you, but being an alcoholic has something to do with it. (Believe me!) If you were getting drunk quicker and even having bad hangovers before you cut back, there is a good chance you were physically dependent on alcohol at the time and starting to suffer the effects of long term drinking. Now that you have cut back, your body has had a chance to recover so the ill effects are far less. If you were to return to your old drinking habits for a few days or weeks, you'd be right back where you were before or possibly even worse off. An alcoholic's brain will readjust very quickly when exposed to the drug.

I know most people in here are going to think I am being ridiculous, but I think many, many people have a problem with alcohol and never know it or choose not to acknowledge it. Drinking to get drunk is the norm in our country but that doesn't mean it won't have any ill effects. Just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it healthy by any means. It is a cultural problem IMO, but I'm not one to talk. I am enjoying a nice glass of wine right now. I view it like smoking though. I know it's bad for me but everyone has to have a vice right?

Anyways, long story short, alcoholism has nothing to do with how frequently you drink alcohol but the reasons WHY you drink and the effect it has on you. Only you can know the truth. Hope I was more helpful than insulting. I speak from experience on this subject.

You were not insulting. I will say I never get hangovers. In the past if I had to wake up earlier than usual, I'd drink hard alcohol the night before because I wake up 6 hours later full of energy. I'm not a morning person. I'd drink wine for the opposite reason, to fall asleep.

60 Minutes recently had a segment on over 90 year olds. Survey says, drinker of 1-2 per night live longer.

Go on wit' yo bad self, girl! Party on.

If you are really looking to get loaded, might I suggest tequila shots?

If you can shoot Jaegermeister, might I suggest a lovely Austrian rum Strohs 80. Stuff is 160 proof and if that doesn't do it, it wasn't meant to be :drinker:
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    Usually, when folks lose weight they find that it actually takes LESS alcohol to get buzzed.

I am hoping this is the case. :-)
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    I've been dieting for 7 months straight now with daily calories between 1000-1550 per day and the occasional 2000 calorie day. I've cut way back on my drinking because of the calories. But the few times I've drank heavily, Super Bowl Sunday and last night in particular, I allocated for the calories but couldn't even catch a buzz. At Super Bowl I was drinking vodka and Crystal Light, last night I drank an entire bottle of red wine. There have been at least a half dozen other times since the diet that I've felt like it was a total waste of time and calories. Any thoughts? Any medical reasons why dieting deters drunkeness?

WOW. What a novel way to promote your book on healthy living.:noway:

My book is on successful and UNSUCCESSFUL eating. It is diary intended to make you think about how and why you eat. It's about choices.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    100ml of Makers Mark 46 is like 80 cals... add some Coke zero and that should have you flying in no time.

I had to google to see if it was a white wine spritzer, but it turns out your maths is appalling.

As is your spelling. ;)

whoosh?

I've no idea.

Usually it turns out that ('racist' stereotype alert) that someone so arrogant they can only be Amercan, is trying to tell an English person that their country's use of English is incorrect.

Yeah....I was merely pointing out maths vs. math in your reply.

*shrugs shoulders*
    I'm sure someone else has pointed it out, but it bears repeating: This is an international board. Not everyone is American. Many folks do, indeed, use the word "maths" and it IS a correct usage.
    Carry on.

maths [maths]
    noun ( used with a singular or plural verb ) Chiefly British .
    mathematics.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I get drunk super easily now. I used to be able to drink 3 beers and barely get a buzz. Now I drink half a martini and I am LOADED.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    I've been dieting for 7 months straight now with daily calories between 1000-1550 per day and the occasional 2000 calorie day. I've cut way back on my drinking because of the calories. But the few times I've drank heavily, Super Bowl Sunday and last night in particular, I allocated for the calories but couldn't even catch a buzz. At Super Bowl I was drinking vodka and Crystal Light, last night I drank an entire bottle of red wine. There have been at least a half dozen other times since the diet that I've felt like it was a total waste of time and calories. Any thoughts? Any medical reasons why dieting deters drunkeness?

Holy crap, a WHOLE BOTTLE of red wine!?!?!?

How are you not dead?

Drink stronger stuff faster.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Holy crap, a WHOLE BOTTLE of red wine!?!?!?

How are you not dead?

Drink stronger stuff faster.
    You're being facetious, yes?
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Came into comment on the sorority girl "drinking to get drunk" lifestyle, leaving because of Irishmen. :drinker: :tongue:

You're being sororityist! That's not nice.

Foot stomp. Hair flip. Flounce.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    whoa.
    1 shot of Tequila & half a glass of wine last week & I was loopy as ALLLL GET OUT :blushing:
    ended up sleeping it off on the couch about 30 minutes later :laugh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    :noway: Seriously? There is not one non-alcoholic drink that could do it for you? Most alcohol doesn't even taste good to a "virgin"--just saying...people don't usually start drinking for the "taste"...

Hmmmm...may I introduce you to Mr. Mai Tai?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I got nothing... I'm a light weight. Give me a beer or a glass of wine and I'm done.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    I got nothing... I'm a light weight. Give me a beer or a glass of wine and I'm done.

This!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Aside from the lack of typographical errors, I think most of us would assume that you are drunk right now =\
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    :noway: Seriously? There is not one non-alcoholic drink that could do it for you? Most alcohol doesn't even taste good to a "virgin"--just saying...people don't usually start drinking for the "taste"...

Oh yeah. That's all flavor. If I drank enough to get drunk, I'd be 10 pounds heavier by morning. Luckily when I was on vacation a couple weeks ago I drank guilt free because I kayaked for 2 hours first and had walked over 35 miles during the week. I do think half the drunk from Mai Tais is the sugar buzz.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Oh yeah. That's all flavor. If I drank enough to get drunk, I'd be 10 pounds heavier by morning. Luckily when I was on vacation a couple weeks ago I drank guilt free because I kayaked for 2 hours first and had walked over 35 miles during the week. I do think half the drunk from Mai Tais is the sugar buzz.

Is your goal always to drink enough to get drunk?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

Apparently that is the case. But don't dare call her an alcoholic, even if the high tolerance she is experiencing points in that direction.
    Be kind to your liver. Dying from cirrhosis is a horribly painful death. But you don't have to worry about weight loss anymore.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

WOW. What a novel way to promote your book on healthy living.:noway:

My book is on successful and UNSUCCESSFUL eating. It is diary intended to make you think about how and why you eat. It's about choices.

But why would anyone want to spend money on a book that tells them how to yo-yo diet? I think we all have that down.

"Ruth Princess, author of Diary of a Fat Female, wants to help you.

After decades of successful and unsuccessful eating, Ruth Princess lost over 50 pounds when she started her book in 2002. Years later, she tried to lose weight again and failed. Using her own book she discovered why and lost weight again. When this happened a 3rd time, she decided to share her journey with you. "
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member

Apparently that is the case. But don't dare call her an alcoholic, even if the high tolerance she is experiencing points in that direction.
    Be kind to your liver. Dying from cirrhosis is a horribly painful death. But you don't have to worry about weight loss anymore.

And when your liver craps out on you, you're back to getting drunk really easily! Wait, that's really bad. Don't do that. Stick with the be kind to your liver bit.