Best way to measure blood pressure during exercise?

Options
I haven't been able to exercise for months. My cardiologist said the the only way I can is if I monitor my bp. Any ideas?

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You can get BP machines from the internet or large retailer like Boots (if you live in the UK). I think you need to generally monitor your BP - not at the time of exercise itself.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I monitor my heart rate during exercise, not my blood pressure.

As heart rate increases, so does blood pressure - since the heart is pumping more blood to deliver oxygen to your muscles.

Maybe that is what the doctor meant? Keep your heart rate below a certain %?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to exercise for months. My cardiologist said the the only way I can is if I monitor my bp. Any ideas?

Blood pressure monitor.

Either a cuff and a friend, or one of the portable units that checks at the finger.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I monitor my heart rate during exercise, not my blood pressure.

As heart rate increases, so does blood pressure - since the heart is pumping more blood to deliver oxygen to your muscles.

Maybe that is what the doctor meant? Keep your heart rate below a certain %?

A cardiologist is generally going to be fairly specific. There may be a reason the person wrote blood pressure and not heart rate.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You should get in touch with your cardiologist and get some clarification. If they told you to monitor BP during exercise, they would also be able to tell you how to go about that. Don't be afraid to question your doctor. They have the title for a reason, and they usually have a lot of good information available. You just need to ask. :)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The finger and wrist cuffs aren't as accurate as the ones that measure above the elbow. Without stopping to measure, I don't see how this is possible nor how a number while halting exercise will give you any sort of accuracy as your bp will change as soon as you stop exerting yourself. Ask your doc what exactly he means.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They want to make sure i'm not going over 160/100. I was born with a coarctation of the aorta (Closed off aorta) . So I guess I will just have to stop and take readings. It will just be a pain until we get it figured out.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You need to find a program or facility where someone can take your BP while exercising. It's not the easiest thing to do, but it can be done by someone who knows how.

I don't know of any readily available device that can do it for you. There is usually too much noise,
  • tamimoreno70
    Options
    Wondering if you ever found a good solution to this. I have an aneurysm and my cardiac surgeon has said I must monitor my blood pressure AND heart rate during exercise and I have not found anything that monitors blood pressure while exercising. My cardiac surgeon said to go to a medical supply company but they don't know of anything either.
    Thanks if you can be of any help.
  • marinosc
    marinosc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a blood pressure monitor which is designed to measure blood pressure during various activities. It is marketed by Omron but is very expensive ($499.00). Check it in the following address:
    https://omronhealthcare.com/products/heartguide-wearable-blood-pressure-monitor-bp8000m/
    The technology used is different than the usual cuff method. There were some concerns about the accuracy of the method, however Omron says it is very accurate. I hope this helps.