New here. 360lbs and doing the 1200 calorie diet. Am I nuts?

Options

Replies

• omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Short answer, Yes.

Food is not "the enemy" here. You need calories for your body to function. When you drastically deplete your caloric intake like that you are basically taking all the gas out of the tank and then trying to drive cross country. This makes no sense. The "cold turkey" mentality may work for other addictions and vices, but applied to food it's basically a one-way ticket to sickness and failure.

Everything "in moderation" as they say. Your excess weight is not going to come off at a rate of 10 lbs a week so there is *ABSOLUTELY* no sense in eating like it would. To get to 360# you probably had some really bad choices with diet and lifestyle and you were definitely eating way over your TDEE for a sustained period of time.

There are various ways figure out how many calories (roughly speaking) you should be eating but this site presents a much more pragmatic option. As a first step I would follow the guidelines given by the "GOAL" section, usually they are fairly accurate. If you are accurately tracking your calories for a week, are staying under the MFP recommended calorie target and still not losing weight, try lowering it by *NO MORE THAN* 200 calories and then rinse-repeat (again for an entire week).

Don't expect miracles, 2lbs a week is a fine way to lose weight as long you are doing it correctly and understand what you were doing wrong to begin with. This is important because if you don't learn what bad food choices lead to your current state then when you come off your "diet" you will balloon right back up there again. There is no quick fix when it comes to weight loss, it requires persistance and dedication. Even when you "know" what eating healthy means, tracking your calories on a site like MFP really "keeps you honest" and honestly makes it easy to eat more of the foods you enjoy while still staying under your target goal. IMHO this is the most valuable "diet secret" you could ever learn unlike crash dieting which is basically an excercise in self-suffering (not fun!).
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    OK all you nay sayers. Look at it this way. If she got gastric bypass she would be eating way less cals than that. She will be successful if she continues.

You CAN do it. I believe in you. Try to eat nutricious foods and take a daily vitamin.

Good luck!!

If she got gastric bypass, she would be under close supervision of a doctor and dietician.

Starting out with a drastic deficit is highly unlikely to be sustainable. This is not a quick fix situation - she needs an approach she can keep up for a considerable time, and then can transition into good lifetime habits and health.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/reflections-on-a-year-of-maintenance-667953
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    5'8" and started out at 410 lbs, currently down to 340. I personally could never do 1200 cals a day. I'd be a nightmare to be around.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Super job!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If you can handle 1200 a day then I would go for it right now, then look at revising it upward later (a month from now? three months from now? whatever you can handle). My reasoning is that right now, getting to a healthier weight as soon as possible is more important than working on long term sustainability habits. Perhaps when you get below 300lbs (just picking a number, I don't know at what point you will feel and measure healthier), you could increase your calories, slow the process down and start working on sustainability.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you can handle 1200 a day then I would go for it right now, then look at revising it upward later (a month from now? three months from now? whatever you can handle). My reasoning is that right now, getting to a healthier weight as soon as possible is more important than working on long term sustainability habits.

While your statement "makes sense" from a certain point of view it's dead wrong. This person is 360# lbs. 1200 calories for her is like 500 calories for you. Could you sustain that for a few months, especially when trying to start moving more, perhaps even doing some cardio and weight training? You are setting this person up for failure.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I started at 469. I did the 1200 calorie diet. It was really really hard at first and some days I went over and even today at 265 I still go over that. I think it is reasonable to try but dont make yourself feel bad for going to 1500 etc :) If you have hit your limit of calories for the day if I was still hungry and knew I was going to go over 1200 I set a rule for myself that after 1200 calories I could only have raw veggies and fruits :) That helps the empty calories not pile on. You can do this :)
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you understand that this is going to take some time. It took me 2 years to lose 100 pounds. So, with that in mind, it's important that you do something that is sustainable. Have you tried to find your TDEE and BMR? Those would be important numbers to know. That's why I'm going to post the links again (they were posted above). Find those numbers and then you need to eat between the two.

Read these links and learn all you can about how to do this in a healthy way. Restricting your calories too deeply can cause bingeing, giving up, and some health consequences that are not pleasant (losing hair, vitamin deficiencies, etc.).

Very best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I appreciate the time folks take to support those of us who have questions or are still learning what's right for us as an individual. While there's no one size fits all, it's helpful to review information and learn what works and feels right.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I started at 469. I did the 1200 calorie diet. It was really really hard at first and some days I went over and even today at 265 I still go over that. I think it is reasonable to try but dont make yourself feel bad for going to 1500 etc :) If you have hit your limit of calories for the day if I was still hungry and knew I was going to go over 1200 I set a rule for myself that after 1200 calories I could only have raw veggies and fruits :) That helps the empty calories not pile on. You can do this :)
    Wow! You lost over 200 lbs. That is way more than a hundred. That's impressive and the method you used is so simple and flexible/forgiving. Definitely worth thinking about.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Wow! You lost over 200 lbs. That is way more than a hundred. That's impressive and the method you used is so simple and flexible/forgiving. Definitely worth thinking about.
    Thank you :) That is just one small thing that I have done :) I have changed many many many habits :) I just chose one thing at a time such as pop and stopped it. When I was comfortable then I moved to the next :) It has taken me a long time over 3 years and I still have 100 to lose but I know this time it's for real :) I am changing me and my life :)
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Please don't do that. Just because you weigh a lot does not mean it's okay to punish your body like that.

Done right, it's not punishment at all. A body with that many reserves doesn't need any macros it can't derive from those reserves.

Just make sure to do it with competent, professional help.

Seriously? What is the big hoopla over 1200 calories? It's not punishment. The REAL punishment is living in a prison made of fat. Ugly, unhealthy, bulging, life-limiting and life-shortening FAT. We endure everything from humiliation to disappointment because we are FAT. Not to mention the myriad health problems that we get for dessert.

If someone has a lot of weight to lose (not a 150-pound person with 20 to go), has gotten MD approval and goes for check-ups, feels good, and seems to be handling it, what's the big deal with 1200 calories? People are not going to starve or get Beriberi! As the weight comes off, their activity level usually goes up (it becomes easier to move around). Their caloric intake can be increased, and the whole "machine" will run more smoothly.

You can't eat the foods you crave because you are trying to lose weight? Boo hoo. Here's a suggestion: Have the undertaker cut a slot in your super-sized coffin so that the pizza delivery guy can just slide the pie right in. You'll be happy with your food, and it'll be your family going "Boo hoo" -- for you. Nice thought, huh? Grow up. We're fat because we gave in to our cravings far too often. Eating is not a hobby; find something else to do with your time. It can be done.

Some people in the MFP forums could be more supportive of folks, regardless of what their PERSONAL plan is. Being fat is difficult enough. Let's not undermine each other. Calling someone's plan "crazy" is pointless and rude. Bravo to everyone here on MFP for your weight-loss efforts, whatever method you've chosen. Despite the crappy bickering that goes on here, I still thank the heavens above for all of you. You've helped me lose 62 lbs since Jan. 1. (Now y'all can shoot me, but if you don't use silver bullets, I'll be back...)
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Is this the very first time you have started a diet???
    If so please do your research around BMR and TDEE you need to eat more and not 'diet' especially at your huge weight.
    if this is not your first diet then you will fail again trying to limit yourself to1200calories.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Please don't do that. Just because you weigh a lot does not mean it's okay to punish your body like that.

Done right, it's not punishment at all. A body with that many reserves doesn't need any macros it can't derive from those reserves.

Just make sure to do it with competent, professional help.

Seriously? What is the big hoopla over 1200 calories? It's not punishment. The REAL punishment is living in a prison made of fat. Ugly, unhealthy, bulging, life-limiting and life-shortening FAT. We endure everything from humiliation to disappointment because we are FAT. Not to mention the myriad health problems that we get for dessert.

If someone has a lot of weight to lose (not a 150-pound person with 20 to go), has gotten MD approval and goes for check-ups, feels good, and seems to be handling it, what's the big deal with 1200 calories? People are not going to starve or get Beriberi! As the weight comes off, their activity level usually goes up (it becomes easier to move around). Their caloric intake can be increased, and the whole "machine" will run more smoothly.

You can't eat the foods you crave because you are trying to lose weight? Boo hoo. Here's a suggestion: Have the undertaker cut a slot in your super-sized coffin so that the pizza delivery guy can just slide the pie right in. You'll be happy with your food, and it'll be your family going "Boo hoo" -- for you. Nice thought, huh? Grow up. We're fat because we gave in to our cravings far too often. Eating is not a hobby; find something else to do with your time. It can be done.

Some people in the MFP forums could be more supportive of folks, regardless of what their PERSONAL plan is. Being fat is difficult enough. Let's not undermine each other. Calling someone's plan "crazy" is pointless and rude. Bravo to everyone here on MFP for your weight-loss efforts, whatever method you've chosen. Despite the crappy bickering that goes on here, I still thank the heavens above for all of you. You've helped me lose 62 lbs since Jan. 1. (Now y'all can shoot me, but if you don't use silver bullets, I'll be back...)

Please read the comment this was in response to (especially before posting your own rudely belittling response). The "please don't" comment was not in response to VLCD diets in general but specifically in response to the ABSURD, DANGEROUS, AND IRRESPONSIBLE suggestion that it would be okay for her to STOP EATING FOOD ENTIRELY and use supplements for "quite a while." NOT OKAY. NOT EVEN A LITTLE OKAY. MONUMENTALLY F***ED UP LEVELS OF WRONGNESS.

As for VLCD diets in general,

Do they work? Sure, as long as the patient remains on the diet.

Are deficits substantially more than -1000 / day safe over periods lasting longer than 6 months? The general medical consensus is NO. (And how many calories a day amounts to a -1000 deficit for a 360 pound person? A LOT more than 1200.)

Do reasonable calorie deficits of about -1000 / day work? They sure do, as long as the patient stays on the diet.

Which diet is the average person (much less the average super obese person) more likely to keep to over the long term, do you think?

Would ::I:: as a formerly "super obese" person follow a VLCD diet on my own initiative? No.

Are there any situations where a VLCD diet is okay for other people or where I would follow one myself? Yes ::IF:: their own doctor unreservedly advises them to, and puts them under supervision for frequent blood tests and heart exams etc.

Do I think idiots on the Internet should advise obese people to go on VLCD diets with a hand-wavy caveat "under doctor's supervision"? F*** no. Leave it to the actual medical professional who is familiar with the details of a patient's case to give extreme advice, please. Yes, being obese is unhealthy. So is having appendicitis. Ouch, my appendix hurts! Should I cut it out myself with an exacto knife? Or should I maybe get myself under a doctor's care? SEE HOW THAT WORKS?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Most will tell you that 1200 is too low. I could never sustain it myself and would end up overeating because I was HUNGRY. I'm guessing, like most of you, you plugged a 2lb-per-week loss goal and MFP spit out 1200 cals per day, because that is the lowest it will recommend. However, it is absolutely not necessary. If you find yourself miserable, set your calorie goal higher. The only result is that you will lose a little slower, but you are more likely to stay on track.
  • downlow676
    downlow676 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would up it to 1500 calories and just exercise moderately 30-50 min a day as well as staying active. I'm new too. I am losing weight for my health as well as being in shape to take my kids to Disney Land as well as fit in the rides. Nothing is worse than being told to get off because the restraints are not big enough!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You're not NUTS but maybe you're not making the best choices right now? It's great to be gung ho and committed to improving your health. BUT you may find that 1200 calories crushes your soul over a long period of time. And you may feel that ULTIMATELY you won't get the results you really want, because your mind and body will rebel BIG TIME and kind of force you to start overeating again.

I started at >335, and I made a similar error in the first few weeks. And I didn't feel hungry, etc. either. But I did start MISSING things, feeling a bit wistful over missing even small indulgences. And after a bit I started realizing that even with fast weight loss it was going to take a long time. And could I really commit to a 1200 calorie diet for YEARS? How sad would I feel? How difficult would it be to stay healthy and meet nutrition goals with such a low calorie goal? Would my skin turn nasty? Would my hair fall out? Would I be constipated all the time? Would I feel deprived? Would I start resenting the diet? Would I eventually not only give up, but massively overeat ALL THE FOODZ out of the sense of deprivation?

I bumped my calorie target up to 1500, then 1800. Still losing weight at the rate of about 2 lbs a week. Now I eat at about 1900 per day. STILL losing at 2 lbs a week, though I exercise quite a bit now and I'm prepared for the rate of loss to start slowing now that I'm smaller. At that calorie level, I can not only SUSTAIN my diet even through special occasions (I did Thanksgiving and Christmas and ate all the delicious foods and desserts and drank wine -- in small to moderate portions -- enjoyed myself, and still stayed under goal! I blew my goal at Easter, but only by 100 calories so I STILL WIN.), but I actually enjoy my diet. I eat delicious healthy foods. I get reasonable portions of yummy treats like chocolate or ice cream or booze on the regular. My body is properly fueled all the time and I feel fantastic while I'm losing. I've learned to like exercise. My body can DO COOL STUFF now. I often feel like I can keep this up FOREVER. People are constantly telling me how healthy I look: friends, family, acquaintances, even people I know only casually like the clerks at my neighborhood grocery store. It's not just weight loss. My skin, hair, and eyes are all brighter because I eat healthy and treat myself right. (I get rando compliments from people on my skin and hair now; I haven't experienced that since I was in my 20s). My posture is good and I move with confidence because I'm properly fueled to sustain healthy exercise.

But it's not about me. It's about YOU. I'd just urge you to consider what you need to do to keep yourself HAPPY and HEALTHY while you work on reducing your weight. Because it might seem not hard in the first couple of weeks but it's a GRIND, man. Do everything you can to make it pleasant and enjoyable and feel as good as you can while you're doing it. Don't compromise with the feels! Don't try to sustain any plan that gives you the sads. Make sure your plan is JOYFUL because really, it totally can be.

^^^^^^ This - a 1000 times!! My situation is / was very similar to this poster, so I am not going to type it all out again..... Like us you have to be able to do this for a while - there is NO WAY I would have managed to stick with this for the past 4 years - and lost ( and kept off) 110 lbs +...... Give yourself the best chance you can - and that is not restricting to 1200 calories.....

Where you are now you should be able to lose 2lbs a week at around 1700 to 1800 calories a day - assuming some level of increased activity.

I don't log my food and exercise any longer, but if you go back a year or so in my food diary you will see even at around 200lbs I was still eating 1600 to 1800 calories.

Good luck - the trick is not to restrict yourself too much - you can do this - but I urge you - not at 1200...

Do yourself a favour - please read through Shannon's blogs - she really breaks down how to be successfully at this for a long time very well ....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/3-years-of-mfp-130-pounds-lost-what-i-ve-learned-669627
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    With 1200 calories a day,if your metabolic functions are not slowing down and are normal then you can continue till you reach your ideal weight.But please do be careful that your body does not shift to starving mode.This will make you unhealthy and you will become sluggish.Your brain will also tend to slow down because of less sugar reaching your brain.So it is advisable that you keep in touch with an expert who will be able to advise you better on this issue.
  • QueenCat135
    QueenCat135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1200 calories per day isn't bad as long as you make the low amount of calories you are consuming very healthy and nutritious.

Also, learn to enjoy the hungry feeling. I'm not joking. You'll be hungry. Hell, I'm hungry when I eat 1600-1800 calories even.

The plus to eating fewer calories is faster weight loss. Some people want that. I know I do. lol

Just educate yourself on the long term as far as weight loss goes. Make sure you do what's right for YOU.
  • QueenCat135
    QueenCat135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • lluvialuna
    Options
    eat 5 times a day small meals 7am(breakfast)10am(snack),1pm(lunch),4pm(snack),7pm dinner. Portion control.