New here. 360lbs and doing the 1200 calorie diet. Am I nuts?

Options

Replies

• Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yeah you heard me. 360lbs and I'm 5'6"! I'm just now ending Day 2 of my 1200 calorie a day diet. Do I feel hungry? Only when I stop to think about it. If I start to feel the munchies I drink a bottle of water, then get up and do something to occupy my brain. I read that I should be eating almost twice as much as I am just to maintain my weight but obviously, I don't want to maintain this! LOL I just wanted to maybe get some pointers from some of you. I don't want to become sickly but I'm already at the point where I can't fit in most amusement rides and by next summer, I aim to change that!

Good luck bro .. if you ever need some help just pm

i was in your shoes 10 months ago
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, so more? I definitely don't want to make myself ill so I'll eat a bit more and see how it goes.

Whatever works for you. At that weight you could eat literally nothing but supplements and be fine for quite a while.

Just have to find your own pace...

Good luck!
    You sir are often seen on here giving terrible advice and quite often a douche canoe to be perfectly blunt, not quite as blunt as I have witnessed you in previous threads tho.

Obviously the OP is quite overweight and didn't get there eating nothing, so your suggestion of an extremely restrictive calorie allowance based on her weight would no doubt lead to binge eating, depression, loss of LBM and possibly illness from malnutrition.

Take the advice about 1200 cals a day being perfectly sustainable then "At that weight you could eat literally nothing but supplements and be fine for quite a while."

Yes I am aware you stated "Just have to find your own pace..." but why didn't you open with eat at a reasonable deficit, gradually work in some exercise etc

Opening with eating at the lowest calorie allowance on here for someone in the OP situation is unrealistic, then telling them they could " eat literally nothing but supplements and be fine for quite a while." that is reprehensible...that is how eating disorders are sometimes started.

OP read the inks that others have provided, this is a marathon not a sprint, start gradually if you need to as there is no need to starve yourself, make sure you are getting adequate nutrients (macro,micro) decent sleep etc and when if possible start exercising at first it can be small steps such as taking the stairs, parking your further from your destination and walking further...

...start adding strength training into your exercise program it has many benefits.

the links again...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Finally Mr Knight you use terms like "Just make sure to do it with competent, professional help." "Whatever works for you."Just have to find your own pace" but I suggest to you instead of starting at the far end of the spectrum for weight loss, why don't you instead try the methods that people have found sustainable that don't require constant medical supervision.

ETA: Yes Mr Knight you are entitled to your opinion but so am I and this was one of them.
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    im 406 but at 6'5' , i thought the same thing a few months ago and its just too low of calorie intake, your gonna go mad if ur not committed id say u start at 1800cals.

800 breakfast/ 500 lunch / 400 dinner, thats how i did it.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Personally, with what I have learned in my time here, were I in your shoes I would start out somewhere in the 1500-1800 calories net per day range and see how the first month goes and then tweak from there. Net means if you are working out you should eat more to compensate for the burn and fuel your body.

If you are just focusing on diet alone, then see how the 1500-1800 per day works out for a month or so. Get plenty of protein to help maintain lean body mass as much as possible as you will burn both fat and lbm in the process. Getting enough protein and fats while filling the rest out with carbohydrates plus some form of lifting or resistance work will do the most to put the ratio in your favor.

And if you are working out, don't feel compelled to spring into insanely intense exercise right out of the gate. You are where you are and have to work with what you've got. There are lots of great lifting programs such as Stronglifts and Simple Strength as well as body weight workouts to consider with plenty of helpful information on these forums about them.

If you are patient, disciplined, and persistent you can do this while still enjoying life.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion that low of a deficit for someone that heavy is just a really good way to lose all the lean mass you have. It's one of the little known facts of being fat that we in fact do develop strong muscles. At least if we don't let ourselves become totally couch bound. Maybe not strong arms but man my legs and core are strong as hell and i never really worked out with them. It's just from the years of isometric exercise of just being fat. If you go on a 1200 calorie diet you will simply lose most of that muscle mass while also losing fat at about the same rate as if you ate more calories. Unless you literally starve yourself your body will only burn a certain amount of stored fat over time before it starts taking some from your lean mass. And I'm guessing you don't want that. So can a 1200 calorie diet shift scale weight fast? Hell yes it can. Is it necessary or healthy? Hell no it isn't.
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm 360 and my daily calorie goal is 2500, and I still lose several lbs a week. :)
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say that you totally can eat 1200 calories anx lose weight, I just dont understsnd why you would want to. You will over time feel tired, you'll not be able to have any of the foods you enjoy, and will be lacking in energy.

I started at over 350lb and over the last 5 months have lost just over 60lb eating between 1600 and 2200 calories a day depending on hunger and exercise. Thats about 10lb a month which I would say is at the quicker end of the healthy weight loss range.If you lose too quickly you're more likely to end up looking all saggy as you lose lean mass as well as fat.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Please don't do that. Just because you weigh a lot does not mean it's okay to punish your body like that.

Done right, it's not punishment at all. A body with that many reserves doesn't need any macros it can't derive from those reserves.

Just make sure to do it with competent, professional help.

Seriously? What is the big hoopla over 1200 calories? It's not punishment. The REAL punishment is living in a prison made of fat. Ugly, unhealthy, bulging, life-limiting and life-shortening FAT. We endure everything from humiliation to disappointment because we are FAT. Not to mention the myriad health problems that we get for dessert.

If someone has a lot of weight to lose (not a 150-pound person with 20 to go), has gotten MD approval and goes for check-ups, feels good, and seems to be handling it, what's the big deal with 1200 calories? People are not going to starve or get Beriberi! As the weight comes off, their activity level usually goes up (it becomes easier to move around). Their caloric intake can be increased, and the whole "machine" will run more smoothly.

You can't eat the foods you crave because you are trying to lose weight? Boo hoo. Here's a suggestion: Have the undertaker cut a slot in your super-sized coffin so that the pizza delivery guy can just slide the pie right in. You'll be happy with your food, and it'll be your family going "Boo hoo" -- for you. Nice thought, huh? Grow up. We're fat because we gave in to our cravings far too often. Eating is not a hobby; find something else to do with your time. It can be done.

Some people in the MFP forums could be more supportive of folks, regardless of what their PERSONAL plan is. Being fat is difficult enough. Let's not undermine each other. Calling someone's plan "crazy" is pointless and rude. Bravo to everyone here on MFP for your weight-loss efforts, whatever method you've chosen. Despite the crappy bickering that goes on here, I still thank the heavens above for all of you. You've helped me lose 62 lbs since Jan. 1. (Now y'all can shoot me, but if you don't use silver bullets, I'll be back...)

Please read the comment this was in response to (especially before posting your own rudely belittling response). The "please don't" comment was not in response to VLCD diets in general but specifically in response to the ABSURD, DANGEROUS, AND IRRESPONSIBLE suggestion that it would be okay for her to STOP EATING FOOD ENTIRELY and use supplements for "quite a while." NOT OKAY. NOT EVEN A LITTLE OKAY. MONUMENTALLY F***ED UP LEVELS OF WRONGNESS.

As for VLCD diets in general,

Do they work? Sure, as long as the patient remains on the diet.

Are deficits substantially more than -1000 / day safe over periods lasting longer than 6 months? The general medical consensus is NO. (And how many calories a day amounts to a -1000 deficit for a 360 pound person? A LOT more than 1200.)

Do reasonable calorie deficits of about -1000 / day work? They sure do, as long as the patient stays on the diet.

Which diet is the average person (much less the average super obese person) more likely to keep to over the long term, do you think?

Would ::I:: as a formerly "super obese" person follow a VLCD diet on my own initiative? No.

Are there any situations where a VLCD diet is okay for other people or where I would follow one myself? Yes ::IF:: their own doctor unreservedly advises them to, and puts them under supervision for frequent blood tests and heart exams etc.

Do I think idiots on the Internet should advise obese people to go on VLCD diets with a hand-wavy caveat "under doctor's supervision"? F*** no. Leave it to the actual medical professional who is familiar with the details of a patient's case to give extreme advice, please. Yes, being obese is unhealthy. So is having appendicitis. Ouch, my appendix hurts! Should I cut it out myself with an exacto knife? Or should I maybe get myself under a doctor's care? SEE HOW THAT WORKS?

OMG, I cracked up when I read the line about the exacto knife. I was answering the phone at work and I could not contain my laughter!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of your replies. I'm a New Start too and not on person replied to me. Beeling. :grumble:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Please don't do that. Just because you weigh a lot does not mean it's okay to punish your body like that.

Done right, it's not punishment at all. A body with that many reserves doesn't need any macros it can't derive from those reserves.

Just make sure to do it with competent, professional help.

Seriously? What is the big hoopla over 1200 calories? It's not punishment. The REAL punishment is living in a prison made of fat. Ugly, unhealthy, bulging, life-limiting and life-shortening FAT. We endure everything from humiliation to disappointment because we are FAT. Not to mention the myriad health problems that we get for dessert.

If someone has a lot of weight to lose (not a 150-pound person with 20 to go), has gotten MD approval and goes for check-ups, feels good, and seems to be handling it, what's the big deal with 1200 calories? People are not going to starve or get Beriberi! As the weight comes off, their activity level usually goes up (it becomes easier to move around). Their caloric intake can be increased, and the whole "machine" will run more smoothly.

You can't eat the foods you crave because you are trying to lose weight? Boo hoo. Here's a suggestion: Have the undertaker cut a slot in your super-sized coffin so that the pizza delivery guy can just slide the pie right in. You'll be happy with your food, and it'll be your family going "Boo hoo" -- for you. Nice thought, huh? Grow up. We're fat because we gave in to our cravings far too often. Eating is not a hobby; find something else to do with your time. It can be done.

Some people in the MFP forums could be more supportive of folks, regardless of what their PERSONAL plan is. Being fat is difficult enough. Let's not undermine each other. Calling someone's plan "crazy" is pointless and rude. Bravo to everyone here on MFP for your weight-loss efforts, whatever method you've chosen. Despite the crappy bickering that goes on here, I still thank the heavens above for all of you. You've helped me lose 62 lbs since Jan. 1. (Now y'all can shoot me, but if you don't use silver bullets, I'll be back...)

Please read the comment this was in response to (especially before posting your own rudely belittling response). The "please don't" comment was not in response to VLCD diets in general but specifically in response to the ABSURD, DANGEROUS, AND IRRESPONSIBLE suggestion that it would be okay for her to STOP EATING FOOD ENTIRELY and use supplements for "quite a while." NOT OKAY. NOT EVEN A LITTLE OKAY. MONUMENTALLY F***ED UP LEVELS OF WRONGNESS.

As for VLCD diets in general,

Do they work? Sure, as long as the patient remains on the diet.

Are deficits substantially more than -1000 / day safe over periods lasting longer than 6 months? The general medical consensus is NO. (And how many calories a day amounts to a -1000 deficit for a 360 pound person? A LOT more than 1200.)

Do reasonable calorie deficits of about -1000 / day work? They sure do, as long as the patient stays on the diet.

Which diet is the average person (much less the average super obese person) more likely to keep to over the long term, do you think?

Would ::I:: as a formerly "super obese" person follow a VLCD diet on my own initiative? No.

Are there any situations where a VLCD diet is okay for other people or where I would follow one myself? Yes ::IF:: their own doctor unreservedly advises them to, and puts them under supervision for frequent blood tests and heart exams etc.

Do I think idiots on the Internet should advise obese people to go on VLCD diets with a hand-wavy caveat "under doctor's supervision"? F*** no. Leave it to the actual medical professional who is familiar with the details of a patient's case to give extreme advice, please. Yes, being obese is unhealthy. So is having appendicitis. Ouch, my appendix hurts! Should I cut it out myself with an exacto knife? Or should I maybe get myself under a doctor's care? SEE HOW THAT WORKS?

Pretty much this.

Very low cal / long term fasts diets are not perfectly safe "with some supplements". The have increased risks of depression, gallstones, metabolic disfunction, hypothyroidism, binging, etc.. And while they have a place in the educated choice one may make, it is irresponsible (and against site policy) to promote them as generally safe.

Having said that, extensive long term obesity also has some very significant health risks and taking on radical methods to achieve fast lost may make sense when considering the risks/benefit balances. It's las irresponsible to recommend that they never have a place.

Severe cutting should involve medical follow-up. In every single case.

Having said that a web site like this can provide someone like the OP insights into less severe methods, ways to retain muscle and reduce demineralization, etc risk.

Read those links, move to becoming more active, eat nutritionally varied food. Ask questions, educate yourself, make choices based on highest health benefit, long term persistence and not just quick wins.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 Calories per day since January 3rd 2014 and I have seen good losses in terms of weight but I have struggled from time to time.

In these instances, I have moved my lbs per week target to 1.5 and this normally gives me another 100 calories to play with until I feel able to go back onto 1200 cal per day.

Everyone is different and you can only learn what is going to work for you through trial and error.

Kaela x
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    eat 5 times a day small meals 7am(breakfast)10am(snack),1pm(lunch),4pm(snack),7pm dinner. Portion control.

Completely unnecessary.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    you need a lot more at that weight and gradually cut calories........starting that low, you will stall and frustration will sit in and you will quit..................so you should rethink that..................at least try 1500.....................so yes you're nuts lol
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Hi, as you can see you have some approval and disapproval from the community. Do the right thing go see your doctor and get a professional opinion, that would be the sensible thing to do. You might have underlying medical conditions that require a special diet. You can then be referred to a certified dietician than can help you achieve your goal.

Calorie restriction is the main part of losing weight, but eating according to your specific needs is as important (high blood pressure, diabetis, etc). also physical activities should be added to help you retain your lean mass as much as possible while losing weight.

Good luck and wishing you success
  • meedtolose10kg
    Options
    That sounds very low. I started last week weighing 242lb. I have been having 1700 calories and have lost 6lb. This week my calorie goal has dropped to 1660. I know my weight loss will slow down but slowly and steadily is probably the healthiest way. I also believe I am more likely to stick with it if I don't feel too deprived. I would encourage you to eat a bit more and do plenty of exercise, but don't use your exercise calories. Good luck with whatever way you go about it.:smile:
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    That's a really low calorie diet… and unnecessary for weight loss especially at your current weight. If you are careful as to what kind of food you eat… you can probably be healthy at that calorie level. But can you maintain it? Like forever? (Or at least until you get to your goal weight?) Because that's gonna be the key. Usually, the problem with going that low right off the bat is that you can't maintain it and you end up binging or worse…. giving up entirely.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started with the same stats as you on July 5th, 2013. I am down 100 pounds. I plunked my data in to MFP and followed their recommendations. I started with 1790 calories a day and as I have lost and re-calculated my daily calorie goal has been decreased accordingly. I have re-calculated every 10 to 15 pounds lost.

Don't try and go rogue and write your own program.....I am pretty sure if either one of us had that expertise we would not have come here weighing over 350 pounds. Enter your information completely honestly and work the system for awhile. You are far from needing to tweak things, and even when you do, 1200 calories a day at our sizes is foolish, irresponsible and ignorant.

You can do this....and you can do it the way it should be done.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I started with the same stats as you on July 5th, 2013. I am down 100 pounds. I plunked my data in to MFP and followed their recommendations. I started with 1790 calories a day and as I have lost and re-calculated my daily calorie goal has been decreased accordingly. I have re-calculated every 10 to 15 pounds lost.

Don't try and go rogue and write your own program.....I am pretty sure if either one of us had that expertise we would not have come here weighing over 350 pounds. Enter your information completely honestly and work the system for awhile. You are far from needing to tweak things, and even when you do, 1200 calories a day at our sizes is foolish, irresponsible and ignorant.

You can do this....and you can do it the way it should be done.

Well said.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You're not nuts. You're modern and you want to lose it fast. You think by dropping to that low you will and you may for a good while.At your size for tthose calories you're looking to lose over 3lbs a week.
    Now, I don't think you should for a few reasons.

You can only burn x amount of fat a day after that if you don't supply enough nutrients you will burn muscle and eventually bone.

Eventually your body will get used to the same amount and usually you drop lower but in your case you wouldn't be able to without being unreasonablely low.

If you lose it fast like you want you are going to definitely have lots of excess skin.

You can easily be at 1800 or more and be losing 2lbs or more a week. You really should think ling and hard about what you want and how to be healthy.

Cp
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You will loose plenty if you start at 2200 to 2400 calories. You will also have tons more energy and won't faint as often.