Replies

• milyba
    milyba Posts: 49
    Options
    Bump
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I cant control when Ben & Jerrys goes on sale for $3 / pint at Target.

^^ Where should that one go? Between the divorce & bereavement or after the sucky job?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah you all must be in terribly abusive situations to be allowed to be on MFP :laugh:

But I meant it as motivation. That yeah, life can suck, but there's something you can control, and it's what you eat. Obviously there will always be exceptions, but I don't think they'll be here. And no, it's not always that easy, but maybe if you tell yourself that, it will help... that's all I was trying to say.

Clearly I suck at motivational speeches too.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, you don't suck at motivational speeches, what you said made perfect sense. There is nothing and no-one forcing any of us to over eat. Those that have taken exception to your original post need to seriously have a word with themselves.

I've noticed that on so many of these threads that some people will argue with anyone over the most ridiculous things but i liked and agreed with what you said.
  • angels960
    angels960 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agreed with what you said and it was a good post.
  • PeachyFit
    PeachyFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP's point. I used to use work stress and project deadlines as excuses not to exercise. I shifted my thinking to make exercise my number one priority every day (barring some kind of family emergency, obviously) over work and everything else. I tell myself that when I'm the most busy/overwhelmed/stressed, that's when I most need to exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agreed with what you said and it was a good post.

Thanks to you both!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I just wrapped my Cadillac around a tree. A big swarm of locusts is following me. There's not even anything good on TV. It's just one of those days.

tumblr_inline_mi8pklhQLN1qz4rgp.gif
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Christ on a bike, some people will get narky about anything. :laugh: The woman was basically saying that a lot of things happen in life that we can't control (at no point did she say her examples were of equal importance) but luckily we can choose to take control of what we eat and it can bring us a bit of joy in our lives. Why anyone would jump down her neck for that I have no idea.

And as for your job making you gain weight- no, eating too much is what makes you gain weight.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I understood what you were saying and It was inspiring to me. Personally I never was one for making excuses, I knew I got fat, I knew why . I did have one rationale/ excuse that I did for about 15 years. Mine was this, Awww heck I've messed up today .... Imight as well keep eating and Ill start fresh tomorrow. But tomorrow never came until a little over 90 days ago.We do have control over what we eat. But I will say this. It ain't easy, in fact if it was like other vices such as drinking, using drugs you could just stop it but learning to CONTROL what we put in our mouth is hard b/c we can't just stop eating. But people like you who have lost 80 lbs inspire us to carry on!!!! I'm sure while you were on this journey many time you had a good "excuse" to go back to your old ways but obviously you consistently chose to make better choices. Congats on the weight loss!!!! Thanks!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There's a little thing to keep in mind... Life can suck. You lose loved ones, your job is a mess, you have a nasty divorce, your kids drive you nuts, your husband/boyfriend keeps bringing in sweets... It's very easy to use those as excuses. I've done it. I'd wager that most of us have done it.

But think of it this way... your eating and exercising is THE ONE THING that YOU can control. Everything might fall apart around you, but what you eat and how you exercise is one thing you can control. Don't let it go to waste... and just think of how great you'll feel in 6 months or one year to have succeeded in doing just this one thing for yourself.

What if it's at a funeral at which your SO (who brought sweets) told you right then that they wanted a divorce, meanwhile your kids are running amok and your boss wants you back to work after the burial?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll* try working at a job that doesn't allow lunch or breaks, and forces its employees to work long hours until exhaustion and then tell me I have no excuse. There *are* situations, abusive situations, that people find themselves in where the only variable is the situation NOT them. A nutritionist literally told me my weight gain and inability to lose weight was 100% because of my job, and that I'd lose all of it once I left my job. She was right.

I'm not the only person I know who has been in an extremely abusive situation in life where their eating and exercising was NOT under their control until they were able to leave the dangerous/abusive situation.

Jobs are required by law to allow X time for X number of hours worked per shift. If you'd stood up to them and demanded a lunch break, legally they would have had to concede, with no threat to you of losing your job because of it. The fact that you didn't was your choice.

Guess what else? That job was optional. Nobody was forcing you to remain employed there. So you are STILL always in control. ("But! But! But! It was the only job I could get/nobody else was hiring/excuses excuses, etc etc!", right?) You are always in control. Even people (adults, at least) in abusive situations have the power to leave. There are enough government assistance programs out there that that is a pretty weak-sauce excuse, as well. If you want something badly enough, you can make it happen. Always.

Between 2002 and 2004, Ariel Castro (1960 – 2013) kidnapped three women and held them prisoner in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio. Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry, and Georgina "Gina" DeJesus were held against their will in his house on Seymour Avenue until May 6, 2013, when Berry escaped with her six-year-old daughter and contacted the police.[3][4][5][6] Knight and DeJesus were rescued by responding officers and Castro was arrested within hours.

I don't agree with the abusive situation ....this story speaks of someone who wanted to but it was out of there control...

lol wut?

How is being KIDNAPPED the same as being in an abusive relationship?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There's a little thing to keep in mind... Life can suck. You lose loved ones, your job is a mess, you have a nasty divorce, your kids drive you nuts, your husband/boyfriend keeps bringing in sweets... It's very easy to use those as excuses. I've done it. I'd wager that most of us have done it.

But think of it this way... your eating and exercising is THE ONE THING that YOU can control. Everything might fall apart around you, but what you eat and how you exercise is one thing you can control. Don't let it go to waste... and just think of how great you'll feel in 6 months or one year to have succeeded in doing just this one thing for yourself.

What if it's at a funeral at which your SO (who brought sweets) told you right then that they wanted a divorce, meanwhile your kids are running amok and your boss wants you back to work after the burial?

Doesn't matter, you put that food down.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Eat all the apples.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Wait OP, you mean I'm responsible for what I eat and I can try and hold onto the small things for a big result when the rest of my life is going to hell?

2013-04-30-21-12-05.jpg?w=600

This.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You guys are touchy. Maybe she could have presented it better to some, butits the thought that counts. If yall still wanna make excuses go ahead. But man, yall are sensitive.

QFT

I agree OP.