Body builder or lean physique?

Options

Replies

• Mahmoud_Shalaby
    Mahmoud_Shalaby Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A bodybuilder of course. preferably, more than that. it means alot more than just losing weight. no offence guys. but losing weight is the easy part. making muscle gains and getting huge is the hard part. I respect everyone's opinions of course. but I just think there is more to it with bodybuilding.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    When it comes to men, my preference is for guys on the leaner side. My 10-year-old son somehow got on a mailing list for Flex magazine, so every month we get an issue filed with these behemoths, who frankly scare me a bit. While I appreciate the hard work and dedication that goes into building that sort of muscle (assuming it's done naturally), I think most of the men in the magazine have taken things a bit too far, and it's not a look I find particularly attractive.

As for myself...I just want to look like a better version of me. Ideally, I suppose I'd want to look like a model with a bit more defined muscle. More like the women in an Athleta catalogue.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Lean and muscular...for guys

As for me... Defined... And just a better me
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For me, Lean, Defined and Fit, getting a bit old tho nowadays, but we can dream :)

For women, VS/Athletic does it for me. Not too skinny, prefer some curves :) Kelly Brook has the ideal figure in my eyes.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Probably somewhere in between personally. More like MMA fighter physique.
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I fully appreciate a guy who is big ..but the dedication it takes to be a bodybuilder makes me think we can't just go out on a sat night for drinks and pizza on the walk home ..as long as he us bigger then me I'm happy..

Personally I prefer the athletic look in a woman I am constantly btrying to achieve this but I have to much junk in my trunk and hips that's won't behave to ever be truely lean..and apparently men like some hips!..
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    lean physique
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lean :)

Personally, I understand the question.. By bodybuilder the OP is referring to BIG, but I also consider myself a bodybuilder even though I have absolutely no interest in getting BIG.. I love the lean look... Plus it fits nicely in with my lifestyle..

I take my hat off to anybody that aims for a goal and gets BIG or lean, male or female!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Lean
  • Stefgoju
    Stefgoju Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Builds of guys like Omar Isuf, Tom Venuto and Gregg Plitt.

At least you know they're natural and they have some great stuff to learn from. Have a lot of respect for dedicated people like this.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/rV0NTbK5jvY/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sites/default/files/field/author-gallery/tom venuto (1).jpg

http://gfol1.golf-fitness-aventure.com/217_Greg_Plitt_picture_ws1004850350.jpg

I do prefer Omar Isuf's picture tho, because the other two mostly have photos for shoots, so their BF% Is at an exceptionally low level (not for the whole year round) And I don't like the veiny look on low BF%. And since they are shoots for commercial magazines I'd say 90% sure there is some Photoshop work involved.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    this

amateur-bodybuilder-of-the-week-derek-built-mechanical-muscle-1sm.jpg

is ifinitely preferable to this

juanmorel-199x300.jpg

but i totally admire those guys dedication to looking the way they want and entering competitions, it just doesn't quite sit right with me
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    this

amateur-bodybuilder-of-the-week-derek-built-mechanical-muscle-1sm.jpg

is ifinitely preferable to this

juanmorel-199x300.jpg

but i totally admire those guys dedication to looking the way they want and entering competitions, it just doesn't quite sit right with me
    Total respect to the guy for his dedication but actually makes me cringe to look at it.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Od school bodybuilders are far preferable than the mass beasts of today
    FZbeard.jpg
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I like men lean with nice shoulders. :love:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    lean...like Aussie Rules footy players or swimmers.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I like men lean with nice shoulders. :love:
    Mental note: work shoulders tomorrow...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilder, but more along the lines of
    MikeMentzer1.jpg
    than the modern mass-monsters.
  • rowen623
    rowen623 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was with a body builder once and he was a rubbish BF as he was always in the gym lol! Personally I don't mind what my guy looks like as long as he is lovely and treats me right. I married my perfect guy last year and he is neither a Calvin Klein model or a body builder but he is amazing anyway and I love him to bits whatever he looks like.

For me tho, I'd give my right arm to have the body of a VS model but genetics dictate otherwise, I will always be on the curvier side but I'm learning to accept what I have and make the best of it. I'm toning up and probably will end up with a curvy/toned physique which is ok. (Plus my hubby hates VS models....)
  • rowen623
    rowen623 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me too...but hips don't lie :wink: lol. Let's be curvy and toned and happy. X