8-1200 Cal/Day

Options
I'm new to this app which is kind of embarrassing because my boyfriend kept advising me to join. When a dr tells you to join an app, it's a good idea to listen lol. Anyway, my own dr recently suggested that I try an 800 cal per day diet along with HGH / Vitamin B-12 injections to lose weight. (I am 5'6" tall, size 6 or 8 jeans but too scared to get on a scale, so don't know my weight.) Has anyone had any experience with this combination? If so, how fast did you see the weight come off?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    At a size 6 to 8 it's likely that you are already a healthy BMI. An extremely low cal diet such as your doctor has suggested would only normally be recommended for someone who is morbidly obese.

You would be better off following the MFP guidelines to lose 1 lb per week, and eating back exercise calories for healthy, sustainable weight loss. You will need to weigh yourself though so MFP can calculate your calorie allowance as this varies based on height/weight.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    At a size 6-8 and 5'6" you are in no way overweight. 800 calories a day is not enough to keep you going. What reason has your doctor given you for suggesting such a low amount? There must be another reason or is he saying you are fat??! Personally I would change my doctor! Go get on the scale, do the Scooby calculator or something similar an follow what they advise. Log your calories and exercise on here to achieve your goal. Which is what by the way? Please don't drop your intake to 800cals. Unless your doctor has given you a very sound reason to do so, but I can't think of one.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would agree with KarenJanine 800 cals does seem very low generally people advise not going under 1200cals. I'm no expert and would not want to say what the doctor has suggested is a bad idea ( not knowing your medical history etc) but I don't think it could hurt to try eating fewer calories maybe 1200 - 1500 calories depending on how active you are and see how you get on with that. Also you have to weigh yourself and be 100% honest with the food you are logging, also no idea what these injections do - maybe someone else will be able to offer advise on these but really the key to weightloss is cals in vs exercise out - and a hell of a lot of patience!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why has your doctor recommended that?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Ignore the advice. That is crazy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's true my DR prefers skinny girls. I don't "need" to. BUT my boyfriend, also a DR, says I should....and when he saw me last month when he came down to FL....he said I could lose some.
    I spent the entire time INSIDE THE CONDO IN GORGEOUS BONITA versus being out on the beach because I was self-conscious. Not good! It's insane. I need to be better!

This is your response to another thread as to why you want to lose weight.

I am one inch taller than you and wear a 6...I weigh 153lbs...you have no need to lose 35lbs...per your profile.

If your doctor and your BF who is a doctor think you do it's time to find a new Dr and BF...

At your height being 120lbs puts you at a very low weight...esp using 800 calories...I can't believe a doctor would suggest that...they need to give their head a shake...
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is the most ridiculous advice I've ever heard coming from a doctor!
    Oh and I'd definately be looking for a new BF....I suppose he's perfect though or at least thinks so.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Too scared to step on the scales?

If you and your Dr don't know your weight, then WTF is a VLCD being recommended????

How can ANYONE advice you (or you yourself) if you don't present ALL of the facts?

:frown:
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Did you doctor really say that or are you trying to use if for justification for such a low calorie amont.

If he did say that (and if he is in the UK) then he should be reported as that is unhealthy. Unless of course you have an underlining medical condition (not sure what though) that would allow for such a low calorie amount.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would practice something that you can maintain forever. Think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. You want to be able to maintain and while what your doc says would probably work, it doesn't sound healthy and when you stop, you will gain weight back if you don't adjust your lifestyle anyways.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Had a quick search for uses of HGH and its not something that appears to be well linked with weight loss but according to WEB MD

In adults, approved uses of HGH include:

Short bowel syndrome, a condition in which nutrients are not properly absorbed due to severe intestinal disease or the surgical removal of a large portion of the small intestine.
    HGH deficiency due to rare pituitary tumors or their treatment.
    Muscle-wasting disease associated with HIV/AIDS.

Possible side effects of HGH use include:

nerve, muscle, or joint pain
    swelling due to fluid in the body's tissues (edema)
    carpal tunnel syndrome
    numbness and tingling of the skin
    high cholesterol levels
    HGH can also increase the risk of diabetes and contribute to the growth of cancerous tumors.

Doesn't sound like something I would want to mess around with unless you have one of the conditions listed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a nutjob and should be reported, your BF ought to be kicked to the kerb for tying to get a healthy girl to lose weight, you need to love who you are and respect yourself enough to get rid of both of those doofuses.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What the **** is wrong with this planet
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm new to this app which is kind of embarrassing because my boyfriend kept advising me to join. When a dr tells you to join an app, it's a good idea to listen lol. Anyway, my own dr recently suggested that I try an 800 cal per day diet along with HGH / Vitamin B-12 injections to lose weight. (I am 5'6" tall, size 6 or 8 jeans but too scared to get on a scale, so don't know my weight.) Has anyone had any experience with this combination? If so, how fast did you see the weight come off?

Did you really mean HGH (steroids) or HCG? And I agree with others, you should smack both your BF and Dr. If you want to slim down, a moderate deficit, a food scale and a combination of resistance training and cardio will help. And for a reference point, most women I know lose weight between 1700-2100 calories.
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You don't know your weigh but you wear a size 6 jeans and your 5ft 6 but your doctor suggests you lose weight by eating 800 calories a day

Is this a joke?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing we don't know the whole story. I find it unlikely that a DR would ever recommend that no matter how bad the Doctor is.
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A doctor advised you to go as low as 800? 1200 is the safe minimum for weight loss, and even then thats kinda starving yourself. Sounds like you're already healthy anyways. If anything, I wouldnt go as low as 1200.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This has to be a joke, surely no doctor would give that advice without knowing your weight even if you have an underlying medical condition.
  • nancyhoit
    nancyhoit Posts: 3
    Options
    that seems like low calories - you would be hard put to stay on that.
    I do 1200 and exercise whether it be running on the treadmill or going to zumba
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What the **** is wrong with this planet

The average IQ is too low.