How do you start eating vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• Squishchips
    Options
    Late night snacks - booja booja icecream (better than dairy icecream!), baked fruit, raw chocolate, nuts, nakd bars and obviously fruit/veg as well

My current favourite is either veggies with houmous or baked banana (banana in the oven with some almond milk, raisins, cinnamon).

Loads of recipes out there, take a look at some of the vegan blogs. And if you fancy something, try make your own but substitute the dairy for alternatives such as almond milks, cashews etc.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you choose raw vegan just eat fruit and veggies with a few nuts. You don't even have to count your calories just make your micros 80/10/10

how will i know i'm at 80/10/10 if i don't count my calories?

You and your logic :laugh:
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm not vegan/vegetarian but i consume a mostly vegetarian diet.. my favorite snack is vegan though.. fried plantains! sliced apple and peanut butter also does it for me. good luck!
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Check out some vegan recipe blogs. My favorite is ohsheglows.com. She just came out with a cookbook this spring too.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you choose raw vegan just eat fruit and veggies with a few nuts. You don't even have to count your calories just make your micros 80/10/10

I was going to make a wisecrack about using your internet browser, but this is advice is just so wrong it took all my sarcasm away...

Do some online research about the lifestyle to see if it would be sustainable for you long term, otherwise it will be a waste of time for you. If that is overwhelming (there's a LOT of info out there), just try searching some of the groups here on MFP for advice and sending FRs to some of the people you find through there. Best of luck getting healthy!!
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    i thought it said "how do you start eating A vegan" and was going to suggested shaving them first because burnt hair smells horrible
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Amy's brand products always mark their products that are vegan as vegan (at the top of the ingredients list). All Silk brand products are vegan. All Tofutti brand products are vegan except for blintzes. Two companies that sell vegan products online are Vegan Essentials @ www.veganessentials.com, and Pangea @ www.veganstore.com. ALL of both of those companies' items they sell are vegan. At Subway, the regular white (plain Italian) bread is vegan. Nayonaise and Vegenaise are two vegan mayo substitutes. Ezekiel makes vegan breads.Earth Balance makes vegan margarines. Hormel Vegetarian Chili is vegan. The Minute Rice microwave rice packaged in single-serve round containers-- the white, the jasmine and the brown rice of this type are vegan. Do not expect to be able to tell by reading labels. The additives are of uncertain origin and most of the time, even the manufacturer will not know whether the additives are of animal origin. They say that their suppliers say it is proprietary info. Do not make any assumptions. The enzymes in modified food starch are often of animal origin. "Synthetic" or "natural" ingredients are often of animal origin. The FDA does not require all ingredients to be listed on a label. Only if a bread says it is "100% whole wheat" is it wheat that hasn't been enriched with FDA-mandated additives so, if the label says flour, wheat flour or unbleached flour it might contain nonvegan additives. Do NOT trust the PETA list of so-called vegan products!!!! PETA terms products containing 2% or less of animal ingredients as "vegan." PETA is a mass murderer of precious animals. They kill 97% of animals they "rescue." Do not ever trust PETA. They are not vegans (or 98% vegans) because of any love for animals. It is because they believe no one should own nor breed animals. They are not the only organization that mass murders animals in the name of "animal rights"-- I do not purchase Tofurky vegan products because they are affiliated with the Humane Society.