Water? I call BS

Options
If you're hungry, and it's not time to eat, just drink some water; it'll fill your belly and stop the hunger sensation. I can't tell you how many times I've read that, and it just doesn't work for me. You know what stops me from being hungry? FOOD!

Water, on the other hand, does a bang up job of relieving my thirst.

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Great another looney who thinks that his experience covers the entirety of the human race.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Great another looney who thinks that his experience covers the entirety of the human race.

Bit harsh. I thought it was quite funny.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options

Thanks, that's what I was going for. I've got that 'after lunch' hungry thing going on, and two bottles of water haven't helped.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options

Sorry - edited to add 'for me.' That doesn't mean I'm not looney, though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it fills people up, water isn't BS. I don't even understand the point of that.

Unless I'm really thirsty, I don't drink a whole glass all at once. When I'm hungry, I eat food, too.

But if it works for someone else, more power to them!

And if this does work for people, could you tell me how fast you drink it? Like, do you chug it down? Over a couple minutes? Five? Ten? More?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The point is that your body will not tell the difference between hunger and dehydration. SO you drink 8 oz water first then wait 15 minutes. If hunger sensation comes back then it mean your hunger.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't stop me from being hungry. When I'm hungry, my body wants food, not water (or milk, juice, pop, tea, etc).
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

To each his own I always say.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Well, water is only the answer when the hunger us actually thirst being mistaken for hunger. If truly hungry, its not going to do the trick. However, I do agree with drinking more water makes me want yo eat less. *raises bottle
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The idea isn't that you should substitute water for food, the idea is that the sensation of thirst can be misintepreted as hunger so before you eat because you are hungry try to drink first. If still hungry then yeah eat.

That rule is more for people who aren't bothering to count calories though. If you are counting then you know your intake so you don't need to follow that little rule.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    The water trick only works for me if I'm not actually hungry. If I'm bored or stressed,it can relieve the urge to eat something, but if I am really and truly hungry I've got to eat something!
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I find it best to have some veggies close by. Zucchini, Broccoli, Celery, Cucumber. Low calorie veggies that will fill you up but good do the trick.

I too find water is just not enough to get my stomach to send the right signal to my brain.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure OP is joking and understands the whole dehydration mistaken for hunger stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP - it's my experience exactly. I've always be totally stumped by the whole 'sometimes you feel hungry when really you're thirsty' thing. It's total BS to me as well... I'm quite sure I can tell the difference between being hungry and thirsty by now.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure OP is joking and understands the whole dehydration mistaken for hunger stuff.

I think some people lose their sense of humor along with the weight! :wink:
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree...when I am hungry water doesn't help at all.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Thanks, that's what I was going for. I've got that 'after lunch' hungry thing going on, and two bottles of water haven't helped.

My sense of humour.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Agree!!! When I'm hungry and craving chocolate chip cookies...a glass of water just doesn't cut it:wink:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, and it's not time to eat, just drink some water; it'll fill your belly and stop the hunger sensation. I can't tell you how many times I've read that, and it just doesn't work for me. You know what stops me from being hungry? FOOD!

Water, on the other hand, does a bang up job of relieving my thirst.
    You must be drinking it wrong. Open up your diary and give us your stats.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't know, a big glass of water can really push off hunger for me for at least a little while. if I'm hungry at 1230 and have a glass of water I can normally make it until 1 before i'm ready to bite someone's head off.