To GMO or Non-GMO

Options
So this past weekend I had many of spirited conversations with my BiL about GMO's v. Non-GMO from the stand point of weight loss. I have lost all my weight to date not caring so much about GMO (i.e. using smart balance butter sub vs. using olive oil for the sake of calories) - and while I know "not all fats are created equal" - I still stand by my choices.

My question is....does it REALLY make that much of a difference?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never really seen GMO tied to weight loss before. It's usually either a health topic or a "right to know" topic.

I'm not sure how it would matter much for weight loss, unless the calories were different in a GMO vs non-GMO food. Or if one somehow messed with your hormones that control fat storage.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned, total calories is what matters.

For general health, GMO vs. non-GMO might be something to consider, although it is honestly not something I have looked into much. At this point, I haven't been able to muster up a crap to give about it. I've picked my battles elsewhere.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How would GMO affect weight loss? How would having a gene for glyphosate resistance in corn or soy change the produce's calorie content? I don't get it.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify - His stance was more about not how much you take in but what you take in. Mine was as long as its under calorie who cares. Sorry for the confusion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify - His stance was more about not how much you take in but what you take in. Mine was as long as its under calorie who cares. Sorry for the confusion.

How did he tie it to weight loss? I mean, was he just saying that you should eat "healthier" when losing weight, and he believes GMO foods are less healthy than non-GMO? Or did he actually think the non-GMO led to more weight lost, if calories were equal, than GMO?
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think his point was that if you don't eat all the processed junk then your will be healthier overall and have better weight management.
  • richardheath
    Options
    Well, how is a gene for glyphosate resistance going to alter the other nutritional qualities of a food? [Environmental concerns and dubious business practices notwithstanding.] If I grill an ear of corn does it matter if it is GMO or not in terms of nutrition?

GMO does not mean processed. It's an upstream factor, not a downstream one.

Processed food doesn't have to be junk either, unless your definition of junk = processed. I'd say there is no such thing as junk food anyway. Look at the overall diet, and fit in whatever you like here and there if it makes you happy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think his point was that if you don't eat all the processed junk then your will be healthier overall and have better weight management.

You've lost 71 pounds. What has he done?

ETA - I eat dark chocolate daily for the iron. I am less healthy without it and feel fatigued so my workouts aren't as good.
    Dark chocolate = better health/better weight management.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I think you are confused because people are asking questions about HIS rationalization, not yours. Because you are dead-on.
  • richardheath
    Options

You've lost 71 pounds. What has he done?

ETA - I eat dark chocolate daily for the iron. I am less healthy without it and feel fatigued so my workouts aren't as good.
    Dark chocolate = better health/better weight management.

That should be a meme :wink:
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    gmo's have been overblown by the media.
    carry on.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    gmo's have been overblown by the media.
    carry on.

Hasn't everything been overblown by the media?

OP - congrats on your WL. Just keep doing what you have been doing and ignore the nonsense!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Almost everything you eat has been genetically modified by generation after generation of farmers and cultivators cross-breeding it.

Do it in a lab and all of a sudden "we're all going to die"...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I give not 2 ****s if there is roundup ready corn/soybeans in my diet. At least those (likely) came from America...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At least those (likely) came from America...

Is this an advantage in some way?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    GMO vs non-GMO for weight loss? No, I cannot imagine that matters at all.

I can see legitimate ethical concerns for GMOs specifically with regards to corporate patenting of food stocks but in terms of health and nutrition there is a lot of fearmongering out there that doesn't have much substance to it. I don't think they pose any sort of health risk and in fact there are many GMOs out there than have done a lot of good in the world and have saved countless lives.

My take is you can pretty safely ignore the organic, non-organic or GMO, non-GMO type labels for food choices with regards to weight loss. Adds a needless complication imo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Subjective. I eat quite a bit of processed foods vs my cousin who is vegan and only eats organic. She suffers from anemia and lacks any stamina along with still being quite overweight, whereas I'm very fit (especially for my age) and don't have issues with weight like she does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NutellaByTheSpoon
    Options
    GMO's are bad for you. But they wouldn't effect weight loss and I am a health nut!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    GMO's are bad for you. But they wouldn't effect weight loss and I am a health nut!

OH FFS...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    At least those (likely) came from America...

Is this an advantage in some way?

Possibly. Depends on what laws are in place in other countries banning dangerous pesticides as well as what laws are in place guaranteeing (or not) that foods those pesticides were used on will not come across our borders.

I prefer both domestically grown as well as non-GMO when I can get it. But not for weight loss. I figure our prostitute politicians gave Monsanto immunity from lawsuits for a reason. Better safe than sorry.