Crock Pot

Options
ChubbyBunny
ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
This has come up in several posts....I thought it would be nice to have a single spot for crock pot specific recipes. Anyone have some HEALTHY, DELICIOUS recipes? I am wanting to start a collection....(recipe collecting is my obsession!)

B-

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    Options
    This has come up in several posts....I thought it would be nice to have a single spot for crock pot specific recipes. Anyone have some HEALTHY, DELICIOUS recipes? I am wanting to start a collection....(recipe collecting is my obsession!)

B-
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    my obsession too

maybe this will get you started

http://www.dietbites.com/Low-Calorie/low-calorie-crock-pot-recipe.html
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I didn't see many on the site....

So, again...if anyone has some great crock pot recipes I'd love to get em.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of recipes at home. I'll look for some this week for you. :smile:

Probably not tonight though because it's the season finale of "Medium". :drinker: :drinker:

Are you open for all suggestions or mostly chicken/beef/vegetarian???
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Chili is a good crock pot recipe, just use ground turkey instead of ground beef, there's lots of chili recipes on the internet
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/11023-awesome-beef-stew?hl=beef+stew#posts-80297

That's pretty much the only thing I use my crockpot for, but I'd love to try some new things. Keep 'em coming, y'all!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I am pretty open. I am getting married and am thinking it's gonna be a HUGE help to have a collection of some healthy options.

So hit me with some ya got and I'll wade through....haha....also if anyone knows of great cookbooks I love adding to my collection! I am looking for more health based ones though.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Ohhh that stew looks really good, I'll have to add that for sure!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I found a yummy recipe in an old crock pot recipe that my mother had and adapted it to my way.

I take two cans of spaghetti sauce, cooked/drained ground lean turkey (or keep meatless if you like), and a good assortment of sauteed veggies (shredded carrot, onion, diced green pepper, mushrooms, sliced zucchini and/or summer squash, garlic, etc.)

Let simmer for 3-4 hours in the crock pot, then add 1 large can (I think it's 32 oz) of V8 juice. Add about half to one box (depending on how much sauce you made) of broken pasta (I like Barilla Plus or whole wheat). Cook until the pasta is done, about a 1/2-1 hour.

I tell you, the pasta has waaay more flavor since it's not boiled in water and it sucks up all the yummy tomato sauce. It is very good!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Ohhh I like that idea. I think pasta can be rather blah....so that would be a great way to make it. Anyway to make it smaller? Or can you get specific measurments so I can shrink it for my family size?

Thanks!
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    CROCK POT CABBAGE ROLLS
    12 large cabbage leaves
    1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
    1/2 cup cooked rice
    1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. leaf thyme
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Wash cabbage leaves. Boil 4 cups water. Turn off heat. Soak leaves in water for 5 minutes. Remove, drain and cool. Combine ground meat; rice, salt, pepper, thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon. Place 2 tablespoons meat mixture on each leaf and roll firmly. Stack in electric slow cooker. Combine tomato paste and water; pour over stuffed cabbage. Cover. Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    Chicken & Sweet Potatoe stew

6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
    2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
    1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
    6 large shallots, peeled and halved
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar

Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 285 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 17 g protein; 5 g fiber; 519 mg sodium.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Thanks! Keep em comin!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Have you ever cooked a chicken in the crock pot? I just put in a whole chicken some carrots , baby potatoes and add green beans at the end. My market sells seasoned whole chickens but yyou can season it with whatever you like. Add some broth to keep it moist. It is so tender and delicious! :smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I haven't tried that, it sounds very easy too. I will admit I am a total novice when it comes to cooking in a crock pot...which is why my food seems to taste the same.
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet but I saw it and thought it sounded yummy! If you try it before I do, let me know how it was!

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Stew

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 16-oz can corn (drained)
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning
    1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions
    Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken. Lay chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. This is good eaten with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

Number of Servings: 14

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 14
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 115.8
    Total Fat: 0.8 g
    Cholesterol: 7.9 mg
    Sodium: 782.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 17.9 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.4 g
    Protein: 7.8 g
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Oh wow! That does sound really good!
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    I put just about anything that would simmer on the stove or take at least an hour in the oven.

I used to do Meatloaf all the time- I always put a couple of potatoes on the bottom to help with fat (this way the meatloaf wouldn't sit in the fat) of course now that I went flexitarian- no beef sooo- turkey loaf here we come!
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    and easy one that is kid friendly and even hubby and I love is cooking a pork roast, trimmed of fat. add 1 large onion sliced, 2 cans 98% ff cream of mushroom soup, 1 packet reduced sodium or carb wise onion soup mix and 1/2 cup water. Cooks all day on its own. I add garlic powder, onion salt, pepper and Dillweed. I LOVE dill with cream of mushroom soup.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    and easy one that is kid friendly and even hubby and I love is cooking a pork roast, trimmed of fat. add 1 large onion sliced, 2 cans 98% ff cream of mushroom soup, 1 packet reduced sodium or carb wise onion soup mix and 1/2 cup water. Cooks all day on its own. I add garlic powder, onion salt, pepper and Dillweed. I LOVE dill with cream of mushroom soup.

YUM!!!! :tongue:

I love dill too! :love: