What do I eat before the gym in the morning

Options
kjarvo
kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
I've never been to the gym really early in the morning. The earliest I've been is 8:30, but I am considering going at 7-8 tomorrow, before work at 8:30 because I haven't got time after work tomorrow. However, I don't know what to eat, or how much. I don't want to eat too much and get indigestion or feel sick, but I want enough fuel.
I have some home made scones that need eating that are ~328 cals with jam and butter, should I eat these before hand and have some fruit before work? Or should I make a frittata and have a slice before the gym and have the scone right before work? Or just cereal? A 100 calorie waffle? What do you early birds eat?
Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily go to the gym anymore, but before I went (and before I work out now), I tend to eat something light.

Sort of the same to scones, but instead its usually a peanut butter sandwich or a jam sandwich which fuels me for the workout, while not making me too full that I can't work out.

I also wait an hour after eating, that seems to help.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My standby for a long time has been old fashioned oatmeal, milk with a bit of protein powder mixed in, and fresh berries. Wash it down with a large cup of strong black coffee.
  • brittanylynnbrowne
    Options
    I sometimes eat a banana with peanut butter, or an egg with avocado. High in protein and healthy fats!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If I don't have at least an hour and a half before working out, I'll just go ahead without eating. To be honest I don't notice much of a difference.
  • s2konstantine
    s2konstantine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't eat. I plop out of bed after the alarm goes off and am in my home gym within 7-10 minutes. Lift for an hour, shower, then eat :)
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I go at 4/4:30 am, which is before I would typically eat. Uusally I drink coffee and that's it.

If you are going before you would typically eat, I would suggest you work out fasted. If you are going after the time you'd usually eat, it depends on what you are doing. Cardio? I wouldn't eat anything. Lifting? some carbs. If I am feeling a little weak I'll go for half a peanut butter sandwich or something.

Just go by feel. Don't force yourself to eat before you work out just for the sake of doing so.
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything if going to the gym in the morning. Just a cup of green tea while I do cardio to force my body to burn fat cells first for energy. I quickly follow my workout with oatmeal or a shake.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I exercise at 5:15 so I just get up and leave without eating. I find that if I eat I feel sick, plus I don't normally have breakfast until nearly 7 most days. Doesn't seem to have any negative affect on me. I run though, might be different if you are doing weights etc.
  • DancinDonna47
    DancinDonna47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go to a Silver Sneakers class in the mornings, and a couple times I went without eating. Bad mistake. Got sick and light-headed. I talked to the instructor, and she said I should always eat something with Protein at least 30 minutes before coming to class. Now I do, and I have no problems anymore.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything if going to the gym in the morning. Just a cup of green tea while I do cardio to force my body to burn fat cells first for energy. I quickly follow my workout with oatmeal or a shake.

:huh:
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    If I work out first thing in the morning I have a protein shake or a pre workout drink. If you eat too much your body will use the energy to digest the food so try to eat something light.
    I've never been to the gym really early in the morning. The earliest I've been is 8:30, but I am considering going at 7-8 tomorrow, before work at 8:30 because I haven't got time after work tomorrow. However, I don't know what to eat, or how much. I don't want to eat too much and get indigestion or feel sick, but I want enough fuel.
    I have some home made scones that need eating that are ~328 cals with jam and butter, should I eat these before hand and have some fruit before work? Or should I make a frittata and have a slice before the gym and have the scone right before work? Or just cereal? A 100 calorie waffle? What do you early birds eat?
    Thanks
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything because it makes me feel ill. But if I do, it's usually a banana.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nothing I like to do it on a empty stomach
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting, I'll eat a normal meal up to 30 minutes before starting. If it's a heavy bag class (which is most like HIIT cardio), I go with about 30g of lean protein 60-90 minutes before, and just enough of something carby or fatty to make it enjoyable. The carbs and fat don't sit well with me, but doing an hour or two of bag drills fasted will lay me out on the floor. Slow-digesting protein seems to do the trick for me.

An example is about 4-5 ounces of chicken or ham with a half ounce of crackers or pretzels, or with a serving of fruit. Sometimes a little cheese with that, if I'm not worried about possible gas.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas. I think the rice cakes is a good one because I can eat them on the way, they are stodgy but low calories, leaving me enough for afterwards. Or a banana for the sugar.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer for a few months now for heavy lifting. He recommends just a 1/2 scoop of protein powder (which amounts to 10g of protein and 56 calories) with water before a lifting workout. He prefers fasted cardio, which is how I've always approached it.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before i workout, and i lift hard. I am usually in the gym within 30 minutes of waking.
    If i was going to eat, I would probably have a protein shake.

I have no idea if its better to eat or not before morning work out, I just don't do it.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I usually just don't eat if I work out in the morning or something really light like an apple. It's much nicer for me to eat after a workout, I also know to eat less and control myself too. It's up to you and your body preference too, find it and do it. I don't think it matters either way.. just which one more effective for you.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a hard boiled egg if I were going earlier than usual.