What do I eat before the gym in the morning

Options

Replies

• Winston817
    Winston817 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I usually stock up on the protein ...eggs...or Grass fed Whey Shake. Always get the Java....then work out late morning or early afternoon.
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it's trial and error...it's work out specific, and it's what you find as you go along....

Light workouts (example: running 6 miles or less, working out for an hour or less)- nothing but water
    Medium (10 miles, 1-1.5 hours)- half a Cliff Bar or a banana
    Hard (more than 10 miles, 2+ hours)- oatmeal with almond butter

My goal is to not feel sick or stomach sloshy, but not starve to death before the workout is through...a little hunger is OK, but I can't tolerate starving with 20+ minutes to go.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Fats burn in a carbohydrate flame says my sports and exercise professor. Having carbs before a workout is like starting a fire with kindling.

Proteins after.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I need to eat before I work out in the morning or I struggle to get through my usual workout. I usually aim for something around 200-300 calories that's heavy on carbs, like a waffle with peanut butter and a banana or a Clif bar. And coffee--I probably wouldn't be able to find my way out of the parking lot without coffee!
  • CassieJohnson68
    Options
    proteins or cereals :)
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal (corn flakes), good to get some carbs in. I hit the gym at 5am every morning :)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Clif bar or rice cake with PB- can eat on the go and not enough substance or liquid to make you feel sloshy, but you aren't feeling hungry either.
  • ishamodi95
    ishamodi95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some people feel nauseous if they workout on an empty stomach, or even feel weak during a workout. If that's you, I recommend having something small but very healthy beforehand. I usually have some greek yogurt, a banana, or an apple before I go. You can even have a protein shake before.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking for energy before you work out, you might try a spoonful of honey. About 60 calories.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5 AM and usually don't eat breakfast until I get to work (about 8 AM)

If you really need to eat something, I would try smoothies or something. Depending on what you do at the gym, you don't want have a full stomach.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    On cardio mornings I usually don't eat anything. If I'm doing a double of some type (like bootcamp then right into yoga or kickboxing), I'll have a banana in between. Otherwise I try not to eat less than an hour before I work out. Makes my tummy hurt,
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I workout at about 6am and never eat before hand. I generally eat a protein bar right afterwards.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything if going to the gym in the morning. Just a cup of green tea while I do cardio to force my body to burn fat cells first for energy. I quickly follow my workout with oatmeal or a shake.

:huh:
    Double :huh: :huh:

Weekends I prefer fasted cardio.

Weekdays I do my cardio/lifting an hour after a small snack like a banana or some cheese.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What do you plan to do at the gym? I go early (like 5AM) and most mornings I'll eat a granola bar, then shower, dress and have a 'recovery' chocolate milk in the car on the way to work (and something more about an hour later at work).

For years I never ate before the gym at all...just a little coffee on the way there, but then I started doing early spin classes, and found I needed more.

You definitely don't want a lot in your stomach for anything too intense
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    nothing before morning workouts (besides water), but I premake a travel mug of coffee and either a yogurt/fruit smoothie or muesli (basically something with yogurt and fruit) to have after the gym. and lots of water.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I would go with a banana! Light and gentle on the stomach.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I don't work out in the morning but i bike to class. I just eat cereal, or yogurt, or a pancake, or eggs, or a sandwich... You can eat anything, really.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have a pre-made protein (EAS) shake, or a yogurt and banana, or pb toast (rarely). The shake and a banana is usually enough. I also make sure to have a cup or two of water. (I do bring 32 oz of water with me that I drink up while working out.)

I try to eat at least 45 minutes before I go into the gym at 6am.

When I get home though, small animals and humans are known to hide from the hunger that is incurred after a morning workout.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym fairly early every day and I never leave before having a large bowl of oatmeal (50g of rolled oats cooked in 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup water), topped with a sliced banana + 1/2 apple. Gives me lots of energy without feeling overly full & sluggish !

Cheers,

Nat
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Nothing