What is your favorite food

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    What is your favorite healthy food that you eat all the time?

Onions. I liked those even when all other veggies were anathema to me.

What is your favorite food that you reserve only as a special treat?

Wine! I don't drink it every day or even every week because sometimes, not all the time but sometimes, it gives me the dreaded alcohol munchies.

What food did you have to completely give up?

All the usual snack-foods like cookies and cake.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    For me it's

Healthy - Natural PB
    Unhealthy - Pepperoni (Holy sodium intake, Batman)
    Given up - Soda's altogether
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Had to Give up: Ranch Dressing, I like it on everything, I gave up traditional ranch but found a substitute that is SUPER low calorie. I just use powder hidden valley ranch mix and put in into Fage greek yogurt. It makes a slightly tangier delicious ranch!
    tumblr_leheodobgm1qg25kqo1_400.jpg

If I gave up ranch dressing, I would lose the will to live. I used to eat it on EVERYTHING, but now it's on a few things only. I make my own, too... So, no preservatives/additives. :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that "healthy" is a rather subjective term but for the purposes here I'm going with avocado..I eat 1/2 an avocado pretty much daily. Black beans would be a very close second.
    Cakes, pies, cookies, etc...I generally reserve these foods for occasions. I have desert pretty much every night, but it's usually either dark chocolate or a fruit salad.
    None, but I rarely drink sodas anymore...I had a "real" Fanta (the kind from Mexico) a couple of weeks ago at one of my kid's friends birthday parties and it was awesome....love that stuff, but I just don't drink it much anymore. Prior to that I think it had been a couple of months since I'd had a soda.
  • alireba88
    alireba88 Posts: 21
    Options
    -Favorite "healthy" food:

Avocados. Seriously, to me, a life without 'cados is not worth living.

-Favorite "treat" food:

My homemade spinach dip. It's heaven. Last year I made a huge batch for a family Christmas party (which happened to fall on my birthday), but ended up snowed in. I chilled in my pajamas, eating spinach dip, watching Parks & Rec, and drinking Tito's vodka most of the day. Best. Birthday. Ever.
    I have tried a few times to make a "skinnier" version of my spinach dip, but they just make me angry.

-Food I've given up:

I can't say I've given anything up, but I have had to cut way back on my alcohol consumption. Not an easy thing to do when you work at a liquor store either. There's nothing quite like selling booze all day to just make you "thirsty". :tongue:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Almost every day I eat an apple. Often with peanut butter.

For a special treat I have a sundae from Carvel or Ralph's Italian Ices. I eat ice cream more often than that, but usually at home and not out.

I've almost completely given up homemade bread and butter. My issue isn't with the calories, it's with the fact that you really have to eat it all up in a day or so before it goes stale, and I love it so much I could totally justify eating the entire thing by myself. Not a good thing to do very often. So I just don't make bread anymore.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    My favorite food now and from before and for forever: eggs, cooked with greens (chard being my absolute favorite)
    What I save for a special treat now - wine (maybe 2-3 glasses a week vs. 1-2 a day)
    What I gave up - I have almost completely given up on beer. Logging the calories of even a single decent beer just got me down enough, I guess, to more or less give it up. Its just not 300 calories of tasty, in my book.

Other things I haven't given up but try to eat less frequently now.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options

I've almost completely given up homemade bread and butter. My issue isn't with the calories, it's with the fact that you really have to eat it all up in a day or so before it goes stale, and I love it so much I could totally justify eating the entire thing by myself. Not a good thing to do very often. So I just don't make bread anymore.

Me too! So sad. I put on 10 pounds over the fall and early winter and I think it was 90% homemade sourdough that I was making everyday. Hard to moderate for sure.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Me too! So sad. I put on 10 pounds over the fall and early winter and I think it was 90% homemade sourdough that I was making everyday. Hard to moderate for sure.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...but I feel your pain!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    -Favorite "treat" food:

My homemade spinach dip. It's heaven. Last year I made a huge batch for a family Christmas party (which happened to fall on my birthday), but ended up snowed in. I chilled in my pajamas, eating spinach dip, watching Parks & Rec, and drinking Tito's vodka most of the day. Best. Birthday. Ever.
    I have tried a few times to make a "skinnier" version of my spinach dip, but they just make me angry.

I have problems with impulse control. I'm now eating my broccoli topped with spinach dip.
    What is your homemade recipe? Can't you use some Greek yogurt to make it healthy?

Other poster:
    An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor away.
    I asked a small group once how many ate an apple a day. I was surprised that about a quarter of the group said they did.
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pasta...gnocchi has a special place, but especially home made pasta. Add a little pesto or garlic and olive oil...I've already eaten dinner, and this sounds like the heaven.
  • superhippo95
    superhippo95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken
    protein pancakes
    turkey
  • drsdc63
    drsdc63 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    this time of year watermelon
  • ruthejp13
    Options
    Hey, I need about 60 more responses so I can say, "A survey of 100 MFPals were asked this question."
    And the survey says . . .
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Celery and tomatoes!

Hash browns...

Nothing :)
  • alireba88
    Options
    -Favorite "treat" food:

I have problems with impulse control. I'm now eating my broccoli topped with spinach dip.
    What is your homemade recipe? Can't you use some Greek yogurt to make it healthy?

The original recipe is:

1 c. Mayo
    16 oz. Sour cream
    1 pkg dry vegetable soup mix (usually lipton or knorr's with the peas picked out. They don't soften as well as the other veg.)
    1 bunch of green onion, chopped
    1/2 head of celery, chopped pretty fine
    2 pkgs chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (not sure the pkg size, but I use the ones that are like frozen bricks, not the bags)

Basically, just a normal spinach dip recipe, but with more spinach. I mean, hey, it isn't called "mayo dip", right? Tweak as needed. :smile:
  • ruthejp13
    Options
    -Favorite "treat" food:

The original recipe is:

1 c. Mayo
    16 oz. Sour cream
    1 pkg dry vegetable soup mix (usually lipton or knorr's with the peas picked out. They don't soften as well as the other veg.)
    2 pkgs chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (not sure the pkg size, but I use the ones that are like frozen bricks, not the bags)

Basically, just a normal spinach dip recipe, but with more spinach. I mean, hey, it isn't called "mayo dip", right? Tweak as needed. :smile:
    Thanks. Yeah, just switch the sour cream to Greek yogurt and if you're really talented make your own mayo and it's a Super Food health food.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Garlic and yogurt (not together, lol)
    Fudge from a local shop. The best ever!
    Most everything with trans-fat.
  • alireba88
    Options
    -Favorite "treat" food:

The original recipe is:

1 c. Mayo
    16 oz. Sour cream

Thanks. Yeah, just switch the sour cream to Greek yogurt and if you're really talented make your own mayo and it's a Super Food health food.

I'll have to try it with greek yogurt. I'm a bit averse to the greek stuff by itself (just haven't developed a taste for it, I suppose). But it might give me a better consistency than runny fat free sour cream. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • ruthejp13
    Options

I'll have to try it with greek yogurt. I'm a bit averse to the greek stuff by itself (just haven't developed a taste for it, I suppose). But it might give me a better consistency than runny fat free sour cream. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's taken me 2 years to eat it with berries. Prior to recently it was strictly a replacement for sour cream or mixed in foods for the calcium and protein.