Equestrians???

Options

Replies

• wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    I ride Saddleseat. :happy: I used to own a horse before I moved up to Ohio for college. Luckily I got a job as an assistant trainer and the head riding instructor at a barn up here! Here's a picture of me training "Buckeye." He was sold last summer.

Buckeye_21.jpg
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Well I do- but due to my job and $$$ etc they are at my mom's house and my mom takes care of them... sigh. I frequently try to scheme how the heck I can live in horse country and also be down the street from work. I've come up with that in San Diego you have to be a millionaire for that to happen, and own a private plane, so I have to wait til that happens.

My Baby Horse just turned 10 apparently- trained her via Parelli method (she was a 2 yr old that hadn't been touched). She's a Chestnut Anglo Arab. My War horse is an appalousa that just won't die (seriously! He's 33 and has beat Foundering twice- both times before I had him!) He's damn near blind, thinks his spots act as camoflauge and that he is immune from all things asked of him, but his cute little ears make him so lovable! He's too smart for his own good! I used to do trail and endurance with him- plus he'd jump anything which was awesome!

Oh... I want a pony for christmas
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, Canada and I have 2 wonderful geldings. My first is I'simi, who is a 18 year old Suffield Mustang, and he was born wild and I got him as a 2 year old. He is a dark bay/brown colour. My other is 17 year old Stormy, a quarter horse/mustang cross, who is an amazingly gentle soul. I can run barrels or work cows on him and then turn around and put my 2 year old on him and he won't leave a walk. Here is a picture of them with winter coats, so it is quite a bit darker than their summer coats.

2a8494j.jpg

Oops, any idea how to resize? There are supposed to be 2 horses there!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I rode event horses for 20 years (through the preliminary 3-day level) but have been on horsey sabbatical for over a year. Nothing better to get your core in shape, though!
  • cynnder
    cynnder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey! fun! do we know how many calories we burn cleaning stalls? or hauling hay!

I have 5.. 2 retired Arab show horses
    1 reining arab
    and 2 young ones!

im in Red Deer, Alberta
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I love arabs. My next horse is going to be an arab. There is one at the barn where I work and ride that I covet. Actually, two, one that I ride is 20 year old ex dressage horse that I have learned likes to jump. He is a blast, and the other is 3/4 arab and 1/4 saddlebred and is just slightly taller and leggier than your average arab (but still under 16h) and is super flashy chestnut with chrome and only 5-6 years old. Alas, her owner doesn't do anything with her, it is such a waste, she has beautiful gaits.....
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had two up until about 2 months ago when I finally sold one that I had been trying to sell for some time now.

Currently I have 1 gelding a 10 year old Wurttemberger imported from Germany in 2008. He's my life and everything and is going to be for sale this fall :( unfounatly I am looking for a 3 year old stud to bring over.

I currently compete at 1.25 - 1.35m jumpers and am moving up this year :)

I don't really know how to attach a picture but he's in my display as well as a tonn of my profile pictures
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How are you guys all handling the winter months? (or the flooding for those of you in Australia?)
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I breed Holsteiner and Oldenburg horses (with a good mix of Hannoverian blood as well) in Idaho where 90% of the horsemen ride western.
    I currently own 8 horses but a foal is due in April.
    My home-bred Holsteiner stallion Amerano(AJ) is an Ariadus son. I have a couple of old pics of him in my avatar. The rest are Graf Goertz and Feiner Stern mares with last years weanling(sold) and a two year old I am starting this year.

The little filly on my ID pic and ticker is incredible motivation for me.
    Every time I log on and see her little trot, I get excited about losing pounds (even if it also makes me hungry to list a bunch of food...lol, haha!)

She is a Diarado filly.
    He is a new young stallion for the Holstein Verband in Germany and is exactly what I am breeding for.
    I have bred my foundation stock developing the Doll mare line and now am in the building stage. If I didn't love every foal it would be easier but I am constantly stallion shopping and am always searching for the perfect foal names since I have specific naming parameters determined by registries with beginning letters and such that are different for fillies and colts in different years.

This years colt will have a name beginninng with the letter A and a filly will have either D, F or a distant possibility of A depending on where I finally register her.

My heart flutters and stops when I see some of the horses in high level sport.
    I want to compete in 3day combined training events again and that takes incredible fitness.
    But to be able to ride and not creee-ak the next day is a going to be a great first step.
    I absolutely love dressage! There is nothing like having those perfect moments in perfect tune with your horse ... well that and the thrill of riding a cross country course!
    See why-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIVLe41Sq8&feature=autoplay&list=QL&index=1&playnext=8

Cleaning stalls-
    I made a mix of activity with this sites info as a reference.
    http://www.primusweb.com/cgi-bin/fpc/actcalc.pl

I put together a personal mix of raking, lifting, carrying and shoveling to come up with 456 an hour.
    But feeding and lighter chores rate out at about 300

We are actually flooded today (bye, bye all that snow!!) and really won't dry out until June now.
    I wished for some global warming last week and viola...lol
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My name is Elana. I'm 35 and live in Alberta, Canada. (20K outside of Legal if anyone happens to be from the area.) I live on an acreage and currently have 3 horses: Zoe an 8 year old AQHA/APHA grey mare, Gracie (The one in my Avatar) a 4 year old APHA mare, and Khloe a 2 year old full sister to Gracie. I ride english and western at open and breed shows. I do all my own training and haven't had nearly as much time to ride as I would like since buying my acreage 5 years ago. Gracie is about a year behind in her under saddle training but I'm vowing to step that up in the very near future. A few friends and I have decided to make the trek to Tulsa, OK in 2012 for the Pinto World Show, so it's time to get serious. :wink: Need to drop some weight so I can get back into my chaps!!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    my name is angela and i live in perrysburg oh....i am owned by Lady Angel (aka Naughty Angel) who is a five year old Tennesse Walking Horse and being western tamed for barrels and pole bending....Our favorite treats are apple oats, peppermint sticks, apples and carrots!
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Wow Jsecret - your paint looks like my Jack! I have a 6 y/o gelding APHA, and a 21 y/o Appendix mare. I am training jack right now since he's pretty green - and Safire is my fun horse. She is kind of hot and wild.

I get out to the barn as many times a week as I can. I've noticed that after a reasonable visit with grooming, lunging, some ring patterns, etc - it looks like I'm burning TONS of calories.

I think there's something wrong with the calorie burning tracker.

I'm glad we have our own board !! =)

Equestrians Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5679007&l=5a51bafe05&id=659742969
  • minervasp73
    Options
    How are you guys all handling the winter months? (or the flooding for those of you in Australia?)

Seriously!! We had blizzard conditions yesterday - so I got the Carhartts on and headed out to the barn. I read that it really helps with hoof circulation if you walk your barefoot horses on a hard surface so the ponies and I went a'walkin. =)

I netted an hour of just walking the horses, in addition to grooming and riding.

I'm having a hard time getting motivated to leave my house once I'm home from work just because I have to trudge through so much ice and snow !!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new "horsey" people!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am very tired of schleping hot water to the barn from my house. And sick of snow! And rain! And mud! And below zero temps! All of which we have had in the last month! My horses live out with a shelter, so they are blanketed and I am getting tired of changing blankets. The temps have been fluctuating wildly here. Today we are getting snow, sleet and freezing rain. I worry about the ice. I have to shut the guys in if it gets icy.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    The barn manager decides when the horses go out - usually if it's raining or below 10 degrees F they are kept in. We have an indoor arena (not standard size) that is just big enough to run around and get some steam off.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Its been more of a challenge to work angel because by the time i get off work its dark and i cant work her outside, weekends its just too darn cold to spend working her outside....so mostly i work her in the indoor arena which isnt very big and she wont break a trot....cant wait till spring comes!
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No I volunteered, right now I am just pleasure riding, I have to go through a riding test to be certified so I am going through all the basics again.
  • IceFaith
    Options
    I have a 13 yr old Paint mare. She is a sorrel w/ a few spots on her belly and a blaze face. She is a bit tempermental and fits along w/ me very well...lol She is one of the reasons why I wanted to get started on my weight loss journey. I just pleasure ride and *gather* cattle..My gathering on horseback is much like pleasure riding tho. Not an experienced rider but I do enjoy it. I live in Missouri