Equestrians???

Options

Replies

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well it seems Gypsy is a very common name of horses on this board lol. My bald faced mare was named Gypsy when I got her from Heather, but I changed her name to Aura which seems to fit her just fine :)

I am most definitely ready for the warmer weather and more riding time! I dont have anyone nearby to ride with me most the time so I usually end up doing a lot of road riding on one of my two and ponying the other one along. You should see the looks I get and comments I get when people realize that one is a stallion and the other is a mare! You'd think I had 2 heads with the way they look at me. We do a lot of riding on the country road and in the small towns, kids love to get to come pet the horses and see us "run" away lol. I do my best to stop and let every person pet the horses, hey once upon a time we were those young kids oogling the "pretty ponies!"

I completely hear what some of you are going through with losing confidence as you gain weight. I am finally getting a lot of mine back and am going to be showing my stallion on stallion avenue at Midwest Horse Fair this year (I hope to see some of you there!!!) as well as some smaller h/j shows as I build my confidence... he'll jump anything I point him at - I'm not quite as confident in my ability lol.

Let's see more picture!

don't forget - to post pictures it is .... [iIMG] photo url [/IMG] EXCEPT img MUST be lowercase to work! If you can't figure it out just post the link and I will post the picture for you :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this board has some life again! It got quiet for a while.

You all have such lovely critters, even those that should be pigs. I have a gray mare (in my profile pic) who I always say should have a curly little pig tail. She loves to roll and hates baths. Go figure.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Here in NW Vermont it is supposed to be -30 this weekend! Every time I look at the weather the forcast gets colder...... :noway:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Here in NW Vermont it is supposed to be -30 this weekend! Every time I look at the weather the forcast gets colder...... :noway:

I hear ya! They're saying -25 windchills here in Minnesota this weekend. Brrr. It makes the 3 degree weather sound lovely and double digits above zero like a tropical heatwave!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Another Alberta, Canada girl here! I grew up in the Alberta foothills and had horses all my life until I became a city chick 15 years ago. I ran barrels & team roped (heeler) in high school & amatuer rodeos and loved to haul my horse to the mountains & ride the trails on weekends. I was horse crazy!

Now I am a soft city girl.....but I am the virual foster mom of a rescued horse that's being taken care of by a local horse rescue group. He's 31 years old and loves his mash, so I donate money monthly to care for him.

I loved reading everyone's stories and seeing your pictures!
  • lindymcb
    Options
    Yay! It's so awesome to find other horsey girls on myfitnesspal! I was born with what my husband calls the "horse-gene" and have had horses most of my life... grew up riding bare back in Florida orange groves, and now have a farm with two Oldenburg cross mares, one Anglo-Arabian mare, a German Riding Pony filly and an old-lady TB whose once gorgeous physique is sagging and bagging with age... a little like mine! :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Here's one of Natural Storm in action.
    NaturalStorm004.jpg
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've been riding since I was 13 or so and have owned a couple of horses when I was in high school and college. I rode dressage at the time and showed at a bunch of local dressage shows in the Chicago area. When I got married and moved to Texas I sort of got out of it (and of course gained a TON of weight). My husband surprised me with a Christmas present in 2005 he and my sister went to a local horse auction and purchased a 6 m/o colt! At the time I was renting a house with property that my sister was keeping her horse at and he needed a buddy so I now have a going on 6 year old QH gelding named Ebenezer, which we call Benny.
    I have not spent much time with him training wise. A HUGE part of that is because I have gained so much weight and I just don't feel that riding him at my weight would be appropriate. He's a stocky boy but not that tall. He probably would have been ok but I just didn't feel right about it.
    Currently he lives in Texas still and I have moved back to Illinois. I'm waiting for the DREADED winter to finish up and hopefully I can bring him up here. I'm still looking around for a place to board him at that fit's the budget. It is SO much more expensive to keep a horse here than it is in Texas, let me tell ya.
    Here's a couple pics of him... there are more in my profile.

bigmanben.jpg

here's one from when he was younger
    bigben03.jpg
  • Zabarilla
    Zabarilla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I own two Quarter horses. I live in southern cali. Right now I'm really trying to work on my confidence again. Not a clue how or why I lost it. No accidents or anything. Plus I want to lose weight. Makes the riding easier. I started off riding western (just trail) but switched to dressage. LOVE IT!! This year my goals is to get back to where I was physically and mentally with the horses.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Working with my Sa-Fire and Marble Jack sure do burn the calories !!

I really hope they can feel the difference in my weight. I feel awful riding on my horses' backs when I'm so heavy. At least I've got muscle memory so I don't throw them out of balance as much.

Feeling good !!

It's going to be SO COLD here in Wisconsin this weekend. Boooo!
  • wewereinfinite
    Options
    I love this topic! I have been riding for 10 years, and my horse is an English Thoroughbred (He's a big boy!). We event and here is a pic of us at a recent show! (I hope the pic works!)

24672_1474372338955_1223092347_31362817_3885715_n.jpg
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! All of you saying you are going to wait to get back into riding until you are skinnier...DON'T WAIT! Riding is an incredible workout, not only for your body but it's good for your soul. Horses don't judge you, horses don't make fun of you. Riding has helped me jump kick my fitness because I want to be a better rider, but I've already been taking weekly lessons for a year when I was at my highest weight. Just make sure you pick an appropriately sized horse. My draft mare weighs between 1600 and 1800 pounds and has a 58 inch girth. She doesn't even break into a sweat during our hour-long lessons. I had a saddle fitter come out to take measurements for a custom dressage saddle and she felt no soreness in Gypsy's back, therefore I am not stressing her. If you don't have a saddle that fits you, ride bareback! That is THE BEST work out for developing your seat and proper leg posture. In fact, if I'm having a bad day with wobbly legs my instructor makes me ride bareback to "find" my legs again. Just get out there and do it! Most lesson barns will have a horse to accommodate you.

Gypsy is a popular name!! Here's some of my Gypsy girl:
    Trotting.jpg
    Her big draft butt is awesome huh? Makes mine look small!!
    Gypsy4.jpg
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I found this board through a new MFP friend and wanted to say a quick hello before I have to take off for work :-)
    I have been riding on and off since I was about 9yrs old and FINALLY have my babies in my back yard. My "old man" is a 28 y/o Q-horse I've been riding for about 20ish years (currently retired and enjoying his life as an oversized dog...), the "middle child" is a Morgan / Percheron (my poor man's Friesian) who I just started working with last spring with a focus on groundwork and dressage basics and I ALSO have a "Gypsy" she is a morgan / welsh cross pony. They are my biggest inspiration for losing weight.
    Can't wait to chat more with you guys, always excited to find more "horse geeks" like myself!!!
    ttyl!
    ~ Betty
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Princesshoagie: I have to agree with you that riding is an awesome workout. I never quit riding, even at my highest weight, but I also have a horse that could accommodate my size without stressing her. She's a Mustang cross but at 14.2h, she's built like a "brick sh*thouse." We've lost weight and gotten in shape together, at least over the summer. I'm starting to work with her on standing still at the mounting block since I never use one; but once we conquer this, I plan on doing bareback riding for the winter because it's warmer and a better leg workout!

Welcome to those who have joined this thread since my last post. I love hearing about your horses and what you're doing to stay busy with them!
  • kellibear2
    kellibear2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi i live in Plymouth ma and i started riding when i was 6 (im almost 23 now). I havent ridden for the past 5 years. I just got into dumb stuff and thought i was cool or something (But what teen doesnt?). Before that i was leaseing a wonderful Morgan mare named Bally. I was there almost everyday helping take care of the horses and whatever else needed to be done. Feeling depressed and knowing my true passion i recently called the barn manager (AKA barn mom) and told her i would like to get back into it. So once its a bit less icey i will be "slaving" to pay for my rides. Yay! Sorry for the novel but im excited and only other horse people understand the hurt of not getting to see horses and the excitement of getting to "slave" (lol my boyfriend thinks im crazy). So im excited to get back in shape and to start doing what i love again.
  • uptonia
    uptonia Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey Kelli - I used to live/work in Plymouth for almost 2 years :)

I have Teaspoon, a Belgian/QH that I just got about 3 months ago. I adore him, and am getting him back in shape for hopefully some intro dressage and low hunters or some type of schooling show. Nothing major, but I love my baby! More pics and info on his blog, www.backyarddraft.com
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am on the look out for a western saddle, going today to check one out hoping not to spend more than 200 for it, since I am just easing back into riding.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! All of you saying you are going to wait to get back into riding until you are skinnier...DON'T WAIT! Riding is an incredible workout, not only for your body but it's good for your soul. Horses don't judge you, horses don't make fun of you. Riding has helped me jump kick my fitness because I want to be a better rider, but I've already been taking weekly lessons for a year when I was at my highest weight. Just make sure you pick an appropriately sized horse. My draft mare weighs between 1600 and 1800 pounds and has a 58 inch girth. She doesn't even break into a sweat during our hour-long lessons. I had a saddle fitter come out to take measurements for a custom dressage saddle and she felt no soreness in Gypsy's back, therefore I am not stressing her. If you don't have a saddle that fits you, ride bareback! That is THE BEST work out for developing your seat and proper leg posture. In fact, if I'm having a bad day with wobbly legs my instructor makes me ride bareback to "find" my legs again. Just get out there and do it! Most lesson barns will have a horse to accommodate you.

Trotting.jpg
    Gypsy4.jpg

THAT is great advice :smile:

I personally had a rough time getting back into riding after my weight gain – because of a variety of reasons (excuses) I ended up having a 2 year lapse of riding which definitely coincided with being out of shape and much less athletic…this ALSO led to a loss of confidence. That was the hardest for me as I had always been a very outgoing rider – never afraid to do anything on horseback. My saving grace was finding a trainer who is (despite the fact she’s about as big around as my left thigh) is very supportive and non-judgmental. We took things slowly to build up my (and my horse’s) confidence from the ground up. I’m now hoping to hit some training shows with him THIS spring 
    I also encourage those of you who are wary about getting started again to DO IT!! Even if you just find a place to ride a couple times a month. I almost cried after my first time back in the saddle for those 2 years I threw away…and I can tell you I’ll NEVER let that happen again…
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Northernchic - Exactly!! I was afraid to start taking lessons for the longest time because I was afraid of being judged for not being skinny enough or rich enough. But, I found a really low key barn where no one is judgmental and my perfect horse just kinda fell into my lap, so it worked out well! I started off just doing 20 minute trail rides or a few walking laps around the arena. Just get out there and do it! Just sitting in the saddle takes muscles for posture and balance, even if you aren't sweating and working hard. Over time, you'll build up endurance. Now, after almost a year of weekly lessons and trail riding a few times a week, I can post the trot for an hour straight, without stirrups, doing dressage work. I sweat and cuss my instructor a lot, but the key is I CAN DO IT! A year ago I couldn't, but just doing what I love (spending time on that furry back) has brought me this far!!
  • Zabarilla
    Zabarilla Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Trotting.jpg
    Gypsy4.jpg

Princesshoagie:

You are very right. The greatest weight loss I had came because of riding. Thats also when I was in the best shape of my life. I ache so badly for those days again. Granted that was 2hrs + or riding each day. Not counting the barn work and training and everything else in between. I dropped 6 pant sizes in that three year peroid of time. 6!! I have a hard time fathoming that right now. Here are some before and after photos. (I'm five foot btw)

This is before. 145 lbs wearing a size 12 and spilling over.
    stuff001.jpg

This is after. 160 lbs and a loose size six. And I lost more weight (muscle) when I left....Please forgive the whole gooberness of this photo. I thought I was fat in this photo btw. Good god what I wouldn't give to be "fat" like that again.
    dork1.jpg

This is what I want to repeat again. After having my baby girl. It was a rough pregnancy and I wasn't allowed to do anything. My butt shows this now. I'm finally getting a grip on my depression and severe anxiety and panic attack. Taking small baby steps and patting myself on the back for the small victories. My biggest worry right now is my old muscle tear. I ripped an abdominal muscle while riding a few years back. While pregnant it was agrivated again. With me letting myself lose all that muscle and strength I'm petrified of doing it again. That was pain that I don't want to feel again. So Im working on it a little every day both at home and with the horses. I WILL get back to the skinny girl I know, and found once before, that lives inside me.

Whoa sorry for the larg size. I don't know how to shrink it :/