Do I really need to eat breakfast early in the day?

Options
I can eat less if I postpone breakfast. I get up around 5:30am every day and get to work around 7:30am. Usually, I would eat breakfast between 7am and 8am, but then I would be starving by 10am and end up snacking and snacking and snacking.

Now it is 9:30am, all I have had today is coffee and water, and I am not "starving." I feel like I can make it to lunch without feeling like I NEED to eat.

So what's worse? Postponing my calories for the day or eating breakfast and potentially overeating?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i get up at 6 and dont eat breakfast until 10. it really makes no difference other than hunger levels, i find it much easier to stick to my calorie goals if i postpone breakfast as long as possible, but this is not the same for everyone

so to answer your question it would be worse to eat breakfast and risk overeating for you
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. I wake up at 7 am have coffee and wait until noon before I eat, most of the time. Like you, if I eat early, I get more hungry and it makes me ravenous for what feels the rest of the day. Waiting until noon, I have better satiety and it keeps me on track. Do what works for you!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't have anything to do with meal timing or when the sun rises.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast you'll die.

It's science.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options

It's science.

Best answer.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

That being said, I need to eat right away. I find that if I don't, I physically feel sick until I do.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. I'm done eating by about 8 the night before and don't eat again until about 12 the next day. Some days i'm hungry, some days i'm OK. But I tend to get too close to going over if I eat breakfast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I can eat less if I postpone breakfast. I get up around 5:30am every day and get to work around 7:30am. Usually, I would eat breakfast between 7am and 8am, but then I would be starving by 10am and end up snacking and snacking and snacking.

Now it is 9:30am, all I have had today is coffee and water, and I am not "starving." I feel like I can make it to lunch without feeling like I NEED to eat.

So what's worse? Postponing my calories for the day or eating breakfast and potentially overeating?
    Nope. You don't have to eat breakfast at all if you don't want to.

As for me, keep me from my breakfast and my sunny personality changes to dark and vicious. :bigsmile:
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Thanks. I've read so many places that breakfast is important because it gets your metabolism going for the day, and the feeling of hunger is good because it means your body is burning calories/fat/whatever.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

It's science.
    And it's been well documented too. :laugh:

Love the humor.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter whag time you eat as long as you do.

Calories cant tell time...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day when it's eaten at dinner time and includes bacon and pancakes and eggs and syrup and butter.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Eh. Eat when you want, as long as you're not overeating. Many people don't need breakfast at all.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Thanks. I've read so many places that breakfast is important because it gets your metabolism going for the day, and the feeling of hunger is good because it means your body is burning calories/fat/whatever.

There was a recent thread, since vanished, about skipping breakfast.

The most "important meal of day" was promoted by cereal companies, and no such thing as kick starting metabolism

Timing of your first meal is not important, it could be 6 pm if you like
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 6am and usually have to eat before 8am. My last snack is normally by 8-8:30 in the evening so 12 hours between meals and snacks is about my limit before I start to feel the nausea and lightheadedness.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake right before bed, around midnight, but then I don't eat again until 3-4pm. Weight is coming off just fine.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Your metabolism is always going. It only stops when you're dead....

I wake up at 5 and only have a cup of coffee before ten and feel great. I work out fasted in the AM too. Sausage and eggs around ten to "break the fast", simply because that is the time i feel hungry.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No you don't. You just need to meet your daily goals (calories/fat/exercise, etc.).

For me, it's more that I feel crummy if I wait more than a couple of hours after a morning workout. Kinda sleepy, stomach a little achey, overall blahhhh.

I think in the past it may have driven me to binge as well. "Oh no! I didn't eat breakfast. I'll just have ALL the lunch now. Why not two lunches? And Milano cookies."
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Calories cant tell time...
    Except the ones you eat within 30 minutes of your workout. Those ones it recognizes as workout calories and you can eat as many of them as you like in those 30 minutes. #science

:laugh: