Do I really need to eat breakfast early in the day?

Options

Replies

• rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Look up Dr. Mercola and his views on intermittent fasting! this is basically what you are doing.
    if it works for you, then go for it!
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    im one of those people that believe you should be starting your metabolism off early.. so i say never skip breakfast. yes calories cant tell time.. but i believe your metabolism gets slower.

coffee thats a supressant.. it will make you not feel hungry.

why not eat breakie then have coffee..

and if you are hungry its because your metabolism is working. you should eat like 5 times a day.. the problem is that you probably are consuming too many calories later in your day. thats what i like to call sumu wrestler eating. hey i can starve all day and eat all my calories later.. and then guess what.. your metabolism is so slow and sluggish that it doesnt do half its work so then majority of that becomes fat.

these are just my beliefs and ideas that i have developed or learned.. im not a doctor or professional anything so what do i know.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    im one of those people that believe you should be starting your metabolism off early.. so i say never skip breakfast. yes calories cant tell time.. but i believe your metabolism gets slower.

and if you are hungry its because your metabolism is working. you should eat like 5 times a day.. the problem is that you probably are consuming too many calories later in your day. thats what i like to call sumu wrestler eating. hey i can starve all day and eat all my calories later.. and then guess what.. your metabolism is so slow and sluggish that it doesnt do half its work so then majority of that becomes fat.

these are just my beliefs and ideas that i have developed or learned.. im not a doctor or professional anything so what do i know.

Since we're basing this on beliefs and not science. If you believe this then explain me.

Eats a bulk of calories in the evening like a sumo wrestler. Only eats 3-4 times a day, mostly after noon when I wake at 7am. Loses 53 lbs in 9 months. Goes from over 31% BF to 17%. I've eaten like this for a year. I maintain my weight on around 2200 calories. If that's a slowed metabolism, then I would love to see what isn't one!

My personal experience leads me to believe meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss and all about personal preference. Metabolism only stops when you die.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat breakfast you'll die.

It's science.

DYEBrunch?
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

LOL
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It's science.

DYEBrunch?

No!

Brunch sucks.
  • arnoldfamily07
    Options
    Every personal trainer/nutritionist I have talked to or worked with, and based off my own experiences, recommend breakfast within 1 hour of waking. Depending on your last meal and the amount of sleep you achieved, your body will most likely be in a catatonic (not sure of the spelling) state. This means you are running low on calories needed to function, so your metabolism has slowed. And since your body functions on efficiency, protein provides more calories than fat, if you continue to wait to eat your body is deteriorating until you consume food.

Your hunger after eating breakfast could be linked to eating some of the wrong types of food, i.e., too high in fat or too many simple carbs. I eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal with almond milk and two hard boiled eggs at about 4:30 AM and I am never reaching for food until about 11:30 AM or later. When I eat cereal--high in simple carbs--I am reaching for a snack by 7:00 AM.

But most importantly, this works for me, you have to do what makes you comfortable. I don't believe in fasting, I think it causes more harm than good, but also because if I go too long without eating, like some people suggest, I will be sick. Even if I'm not hungry, I force myself to eat by noon after my early breakfast, because if I don't, the hunger hits me at the same time as the sickness.

The best thing you can do though is research and listen to what your body tells you. If you want to fast, then fast, just make sure your energy levels aren's droping low and that you don't feel weak or sick. Just be patient and smart; you want to reach your goals but you want to do it in a safe manner.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people find that breakfast gives them increased energy and mood if they eat first thing in the morning. Others experience the opposite. Some people find that breakfast keeps them fuller and more satiated throughout the day. Others experience the opposite. Meal timing shouldn't affect your weight loss. It may affect your concentration, gym performance, energy levels, or hunger. This really is one area where you have to find what works best for your own schedule.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no worse. It's just what works for you. I don't eat a bite for at least an hour after rising. I only have fruit for the first three hours. It works for me. :)

Do what works for you. :)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to eat in the morning if you do not want too. I have always just had my coffee and that was it for me. Most of the time I just like to wait until lunch. Just recently I started eating a bowl of cereal or yogurt, but not until around 11 am. I eat when I am hungry and that is it. Do what you want, eat when you want and if its only lunch and dinner than so be it. That's fine.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

It's science.

DYEBrunch?

No!

Brunch sucks.

Definitely going to die you brunch-ist pig!!!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Look up Dr. Mercola and his views on intermittent fasting! this is basically what you are doing.

Thanks for the tip! I researched this and I find it very interesting. Thanks!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Oh dear. Just a heads up, Dr. Mercola is widely considered a quack. While I don't disagree with intermittent fasting or anything, he has some pretty wild ideas in other areas. I suggest taking what he says with a very large grain of salt.
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When will they learn .....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options

Oh dear. Just a heads up, Dr. Mercola is widely considered a quack. While I don't disagree with intermittent fasting or anything, he has some pretty wild ideas in other areas. I suggest taking what he says with a very large grain of salt.

Thanks for that tip! Looks like I will be doing some more of my own research. :)
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options
    When will they learn .....

When they ask questions because there is too much contradictory info out there :)
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options

Just read that Dr. Oz promoted Dr. Mercola, and now Mercola is dead to me too. LOL Thanks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day when it's eaten at dinner time and includes bacon and pancakes and eggs and syrup and butter.
    When I was growing up, my mother used to surprise us once in awhile with a full breakfast at dinner time. It was certainly a treat.