Am I the Only One Who Hated Frozen?

JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
I know I'm probably a year too late on this one, but I don't believe in paying theater prices and my neighbors just got it. Anyway, for being a fairly masculine adult male, I can admit to liking Disney movies. I mostly dislike CGI films, but The Incredibles is one of my favorites.

My wife and I watched Frozen in terror last night. The characters, music, song lyrics and actual events that took place in the movie were almost immediately forgettable. I heard everyone loved this snowman, but to us he was the Disney equivalent of Jar-Jar, in terms of comic relief. And, really, for the music being talked up so much, the lyrics were god awful. There was absolutely no timeless quality to this film, which so many past Disney movies have had.

So I go to rottentomatoes.com, thinking they'll tear it a new one, but they gave it 88%!

So what's the deal? Are we crazy? Are we missing out because we don't like current music (some of the female vocalists sounded like they were singing in a pop-country mode, which I don't like and bugged me quite a bit)? Or because we didn't know the stars / voice actors? Or are we so out of touch with popular culture that our sense of humor has never really evolved? I don't know, but for all of the hype of Frozen and for it being the highest grossing animated film of ALL TIME, it sure sucked from where we sat.

I guess I should note that Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time and it sucked the big one, too, so...

ETA: I know my hopes were up a little bit because of the Icelandic setting (and I'm kind of a dork about sagas and vikings and stuff) and... you know... highest grossing animated film of all time!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I love the music, but the movie itself was lacking.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Yes. You are, in fact, the only one.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    I love it! I have the DVD ????
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    I personally thought it was mediocre at best. I hated the dialogue being turned into opera. Course I'm not an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan either. It wasn't terrible, but will never be in my top ten disney movies ever. The story was ok, the main song was ok, nothing fantastic.
    Oh and ps Avatar did so suck.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    I thought it was ok bordering on mediocre. I watched it recently with my daycare kids when we had a rain day. The older girls had seen it before and started singing 5 minutes into the movie. I asked the 6 yr old if it would be scary for the 2 and 3 yr olds and she said no but it's "kind of boring" (this as she is singing along). Have to agree with her, it was boring and just cannot see what all the fuss was about. btw I was at a comic con a couple of weeks ago and saw several women cosplaying Frozen although at the time didn't realize who they were. It seems to have a huge adult following for some reason.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    It was a yawnfest. And I can't stand movies with so much singing. I expected better. Even my kid was like "that's it??" lol
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    PS to ^^...we had a rain day last week and watched The Lego Movie (way better than Frozen) unfortunately everything was still awesome when I was going to bed.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Yes, everyone else loved it. :/
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    PS to ^^...we had a rain day last week and watched The Lego Movie (way better than Frozen) unfortunately everything was still awesome when I was going to bed.

Rather that than build a f*cking snowman
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    So I go to rottentomatoes.com, thinking they'll tear it a new one, but they gave it 88%!

Rotten Tomatoes gave Hereafter 34% and I read the reviews and they clearly didn't actually understand the movie at all, so I have given up on trusting anything that site says.

I haven't seen Frozen and have no desire to do so.
  • firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    I wasn't impressed with it at all. Mulan had a better story and way better music. I mean who doesn't love Donnie Osmond and Christina Aguilera?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    It is coming in the mail from Netflix tomorrow, so we will see.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    I still refuse to see it, because I was so excited about the concept art, and the movie itself looks nothing like the beautiful concept art :( It looks like a remake of "Tangled"
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I stopped watching cartoons 50 years ago.
  • marrisu
    marrisu Posts: 11 Member
    I loved it! Idina's voice gives me shivers and I was happy to see it was not the prince's kiss that saved the day for once.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Hated it, and I don't see what all the hype is about with people going ape over it, lol. My kids didn't like it, but they're older so I"m not surprised there. :indifferent:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Yup... pretty much.... But then I have a toddler and the movie has really grown on me...
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    The big thing that seems to resonate with people is it's about love but not the love a woman has to have bestowed upon her by some knight or king or prince but rather the true love between two siblings.

I thought it was a nice movie
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I loved it! Idina's voice gives me shivers and I was happy to see it was not the prince's kiss that saved the day for once.

And this ^^^^
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    It was meh. The songs felt forced. The story only so-so. I was disappointed. I didn't hate but definitely didn't love.