Also kudos to the Geek for the Bluth Frozen Banana t-shirt
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    At 45 years of age, I still play D&D. Nerd level +10.

I am slightly envious. After kids, roll playing was gone and then relocation for a new job... 3 years here and I have made one friend who is actually nothing like me and holds no mutual interests. Some day... some day I hope to get back into this.
    tumblr_mcj4kpUL5t1rh231mo1_250.gif
    tumblr_m3ezf6iHuo1rox32k.gif

Love this. :) Felicia is one of my favorites and she pops up at some point in almost everything I watch.

Also loving the random gifs with Alan Tudyk.

ry%3D400

Ha! Love this too.
  • genericscreenname
    Options
    OMG! Pam and Codex. <3
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    dragon-ball-z-o.gif
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Naamloos-1.gif
  • delirious_vixen
    delirious_vixen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    doctor_who_wave_hello_hi_gif.gif
  • poetgirl115
    poetgirl115 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.

You are clearly living in a nerd-light area of this planet. Around here a nerd must:

play video games
    read incessantly
    be intelligent to not deserve a beating via bat'leth.
    know very odd and random facts about sci fi shows and/or other cultures
    understand superwholock
    be a trekkie and/or a star wars fan (though loving both gets you bonus points)
    know where you stand in the great Marvel vs. DC debate, and agree that Marvel is far superior ;)
    know where you fit in the dork/nerd/geek venn diagram
    know what a venn diagram is
    and use obscure references that only those in your circle get.

If you fit all of these, and still manage to be confused by the strange concept of "flirting," then welcome! strap on a pen protector and join my friends and I on our latest D&D adventure.

fsX97.gif

giphy.gif
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.

You are clearly living in a nerd-light area of this planet. Around here a nerd must:

play video games
    read incessantly
    understand superwholock
    know where you stand in the great Marvel vs. DC debate, and agree that Marvel is far superior ;)

If you fit all of these, and still manage to be confused by the strange concept of "flirting," then welcome! strap on a pen protector and join my friends and I on our latest D&D adventure.

fsX97.gif

giphy.gif

Let's see:
    play video games ~ check
    read incessantly ~ check
    be intelligent to not deserve a beating via bat'leth. ~ check
    know very odd and random facts about sci fi shows and/or other cultures ~ check
    understand superwholock ~ check love love
    be a trekkie and/or a star wars fan (though loving both gets you bonus points) ~ check both
    know where you stand in the great Marvel vs. DC debate, and agree that Marvel is far superior ;) ~ check, of course!
    know where you fit in the dork/nerd/geek venn diagram ~ check nerd
    know what a venn diagram is ~ check, duh!
    and use obscure references that only those in your circle get. ~ check - dkp, d20, etc

"If you fit all of these, and still manage to be confused by the strange concept of "flirting," then welcome! strap on a pen protector and join my friends and I on our latest D&D adventure."

My wife tells me that I am flirting, and I have no idea what she is talking about, I was just being nice! Probably how I ended up married to begin with...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

play video games
    read incessantly
    understand superwholock

fsX97.gif

giphy.gif

Let's see:
    play video games ~ check
    read incessantly ~ check
    be a trekkie and/or a star wars fan (though loving both gets you bonus points) ~ check both
    know where you stand in the great Marvel vs. DC debate, and agree that Marvel is far superior ;) ~ check, of course!
    and use obscure references that only those in your circle get. ~ check - dkp, d20, etc

"If you fit all of these, and still manage to be confused by the strange concept of "flirting," then welcome! strap on a pen protector and join my friends and I on our latest D&D adventure."

My wife tells me that I am flirting, and I have no idea what she is talking about, I was just being nice! Probably how I ended up married to begin with...

Do I get extra points for seeing "dkp" and immediately thinking of Dive and the infamous Onyxia Wipe Ventrillo recording?

BWorth4df483bdc9783.jpg
  • poetgirl115
    poetgirl115 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

play video games
    read incessantly
    understand superwholock

fsX97.gif

giphy.gif

Let's see:
    play video games ~ check
    read incessantly ~ check

I know exactly what you mean. A guy I was hanging out with once called me his girlfriend to his neighbor, and I just... :noway: Wait, what? How did I miss the relationship road sign?? It's like ending up in the delta quadrant and having no clue how I got there. :laugh:
  • MikeCrazy
    Options

I know exactly what you mean. A guy I was hanging out with once called me his girlfriend to his neighbor, and I just... :noway: Wait, what? How did I miss the relationship road sign?? It's like ending up in the delta quadrant and having no clue how I got there. :laugh:

LOL She calls me socially inept from time to time....and naive. Oh the insults!!!!
    Do I get extra points for seeing "dkp" and immediately thinking of Dive and the infamous Onyxia Wipe Ventrillo recording?

Yes!!!

Oh I forgot to mention that I still play DnD and other obscure paper and dice games. Rifts - specifically nightbane, Toon RPG, Mecha...etc.....
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not only am I 46 and play D&D, my two teenagers are now playing in the campaign I created in college 28 years ago. On the other hand, I can pass as mundane, so I guess I'm just a changeling Nerd.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    kittens
  • MikeCrazy
    Options
    keep-calm-and-hate-nerds-8.png

Your post should be reported to the Counsel of Nerd Relations, for review and deliberation.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    People apparently can't comprehend what I said, so there's no point in keeping it up.
    I spoke of individuals with mutually exclusive traits. Having both is not the same.
  • delirious_vixen
    Options

Your post should be reported to the Counsel of Nerd Relations, for review and deliberation.

This is why I hate nerds.

I used to consider myself a nerd. Those around me called me a nerd. I strove to learn as much as possible about everything. I will do a proof to verify a formula because I can. I sincerely thought I was a nerd, adhering to the definition that a nerd is someone overly intellectual, studious and technical. That is no longer what it means.

Society has changed the connotation of that word and turned it into something completely different.

Society now deems a person a nerd if they play video games, like comic books or like cosplay. The word nerd no longer implies intelligence, technical interests or studious behavior. The word nerd has been corrupted and I now hate the term. Down with the nerds who have sullied their title and rid it of its former glory.

I was top of my class in all my studies and was known to get multiple awards for these studies. I understood concepts in math, science, reading, and other academics easily. I would be classified as a nerd by the old 'standards.' Not only that, but I play video games, enjoy the sci-fi shows, and all that other jazz that "society" now considers as being a nerd. Would I, since I enjoy these pastimes along with being a studious person, be denied any right to consider myself or be considered a nerd?

I'd say not, and the same goes with people who do not always go for the intellectual. They are interested heavily into something, just as the classic nerd might've been interested heavily in their studies. Hate is a strong word and hating a whole group of people simply because you believe they do not live up to the label they have given themselves is bigoted, in my own opinion.

Don't hate an entire group because they do not live up to your definition of something. You do not know the person personally, so projecting hate onto them does nothing more than limit your chances of ever doing so.
  • MikeCrazy
    Options

This is why I hate nerds.

I used to consider myself a nerd. Those around me called me a nerd. I strove to learn as much as possible about everything. I will do a proof to verify a formula because I can. I sincerely thought I was a nerd, adhering to the definition that a nerd is someone overly intellectual, studious and technical. That is no longer what it means.

Society has changed the connotation of that word and turned it into something completely different.

Society now deems a person a nerd if they play video games, like comic books or like cosplay. The word nerd no longer implies intelligence, technical interests or studious behavior. The word nerd has been corrupted and I now hate the term. Down with the nerds who have sullied their title and rid it of its former glory.
    [/quote]

I actually agree with you to a point. I study nuclear physics for fun, and try to invent new types of powersystems; I write sci-fi, and work as an analyst. I believe I fit your definition of "nerd" and I enjoy video games, paper and dice, and spurious science fiction and fantasy works.

You could call me the jack of nerds.
  • MikeCrazy
    Options

I was top of my class in all my studies, was known to get multiple awards for these studies. I understood concepts in math, science, reading, and other academics easily. I would be classified as a nerd by the old 'standards.' Not only that, but I play video games, enjoy the sci-fi shows, and all that other jazz that "society" now considers as being a nerd. Would I, since I enjoy these pastimes along with being a studious person, be denied any right to consider myself or be considered a nerd?

I'd say not, and the same goes with people who do not always go for the intellectual. They are interested heavily into something, just as the classic nerd might've been interested heavily in their studies. Hate is a strong word and hating a whole group of people simply because you believe they do not live up to the label they have given themselves is bigoted, in my own opinion.

Don't hate an entire group because they do not live up to your definition of something. You do not know the person personally, so projecting hate onto them does nothing more than limit your chances of ever doing so.

I would say that he missed this:
    nerd-venn-diagram.jpg
  • delirious_vixen
    Options
    Your picture is not working. o-o