I'm a Nerd and proud of it

Options

Replies

• tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I became a full fledge nerd in kidnergarten when these cool girls came up to me and said "Hey we'll be your friend if you do what we ask you to" I said what do you want me to do. They pointed to some girl and said " go tell that girl over there that she is fat" and I said NO! That's mean and it would hurt her feelings I wont say that. Then they told me they would never be my friend, but I sure didn't care. I went right back to playing by myself.

Later they told me they were sorry and wanted to push me on the swing, but they pushed extra hard on purpose and I want flying off the swing and scraped up my back. They walked off laughing and were with the girl they wanted me to call fat. So I guess I can truly say I am a nerd and proud of it. I never was a popular person and It never bothered me.

Now I have a wonderful husband and two very beautiful little girls and they think the world of me so no matter what I was in my past appearently some people think I'm worth being around.

So cheers to all of us nerds:drinker:
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.
    ****! left my nerd application at home, I guess since I don't mount bugs (6th grader snicker) I don't fit the criteria anyway. :brokenheart:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I was a nerd before it was popular to be a nerd. In the late 70's used to program handheld calculators so I use metrological data and get more accuracy out of ballistic firing table for our mortars (we used slide rules before that).

Went to college and owned my nerdiness.

And now (at 60) I am still owning my nerdiness :-)
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd. Here's my latest purchase.

175965119.JPG
  • theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Nerds of Gallifrey unite.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Nerds of Gallifrey unite.

I'd love to, but sadly I'm the only one left.

(I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. :-P)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.

Well aren't you fun?? I'm allowed to call myself whatever I like. I don't have to "prove" my nerdiness to anyone. I could show you my massive comic collection, all my swords, my collection of first edition toys, all the signed books I have, and my Firefly tattoo. I could tell you most of my favorite jokes are about grammar and I could tell you how high I scored on the SAT's and my GPA. But I don't have to do any of that, you know why?? Because I know what I am, and I AM proud of it, "cool" or not, it's who I am. Deal with it.

Well said! +1

(I wish I had a Firefly tattoo...I do however have a Star Wars one...)

Ooh, Firefly tattoo....now that is an awesome idea. I do have a Terry Pratchett tattoo planned for when I get back to my goal weight!

Thanks! I just get riled up when people feel like you have to justify your nerdiness. My Firefly tattoo is Kaylee's umbrella and some of the lyrics to the theme song on my shoulder blade. I LOVE Terry Pratchett!! What are you getting??

Ooh, that's an awesome tattoo! I'm getting, "There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do," from 'A Hat Full of Sky', with a small symbol representing the Discworld that I haven't decided on yet, lol.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    True story.

ry%3D400

I've seen this before, but really... There aren't really people who own more shoes than books? I mean, seriously. Just one bookshelf is more than a whole closet full of shoes.

I know it's a shocking thought, and it truly pains my soul, but I think that there are people who *gasp* might only own a handful of books. *shudders*
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    And this thread is why Erin is awesome. I knew I was her friend for some reason...

And later tonight I will make you all my friend. Unless you beat me to the FR.

We need to prove nothing to no one. I have been doing this "nerd thing" long before it was trendy. Matter of fact, I will kick trendy's *kitten*. Not with my muscles, but with my brain.

My brain is a cauldron of useless pop culture references only most in this thread would understand. I also have Mary Poppins pants, but that is for a different thread I think.

Let's be bad guys. Shiny?

-j

PS I <3 U
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    True story.

ry%3D400

I've seen this before, but really... There aren't really people who own more shoes than books? I mean, seriously. Just one bookshelf is more than a whole closet full of shoes.

I know it's a shocking thought, and it truly pains my soul, but I think that there are people who *gasp* might only own a handful of books. *shudders*

I don't have a lot of books (though I do have more than shoes) simply because I go to the library (it's right next door to where I work)... and my mom is like a book hoarder and I don't want the (don't hate me for saying this) clutter like she had. My library card gets a lot of use though.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    True story.

ry%3D400

I don't have a lot of books (though I do have more than shoes) simply because I go to the library (it's right next door to where I work)... and my mom is like a book hoarder and I don't want the (don't hate me for saying this) clutter like she had. My library card gets a lot of use though.

that totally counts!
  • j_bark
    Options
    tumblr_mcj4kpUL5t1rh231mo1_250.gif
    tumblr_m3ezf6iHuo1rox32k.gif

PS The Guild is a must watch.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ry%3D400

Rather cunning, eh?

and RL, I'm the nerdy one of my friends. Dared to date online, dared to meet people,. played videogames before they were cool, play World of Warcraft. Love comics, Star Trek, Star Wars. Know popculture references. etc. etcetc.

My friends usually go to me when they need help with homework, or random trivia.

... :D
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I do have a Terry Pratchett tattoo planned for when I get back to my goal weight!

Ooo! Now that is a good idea.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure our house has more bookshelves than I have pairs of shoes that I actually wear.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_n67n4xUZoY1sxprlh.gif

Felicia Day is my spirit animal.
  • thyldburg
    thyldburg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all, D&D player, computers in every room of my house, model of the Death Star and X-wing fighter in my office, etc....
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure our house has more bookshelves than I have pairs of shoes that I actually wear.

This! lol
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    nerd-dance_102.gif
  • j_bark
    Options
    ry%3D400

Rather cunning, eh?

and RL, I'm the nerdy one of my friends. Dared to date online, dared to meet people,. played videogames before they were cool, play World of Warcraft. Love comics, Star Trek, Star Wars. Know popculture references. etc. etcetc.

My friends usually go to me when they need help with homework, or random trivia.

... :D

I'll be in my bunk.