I just can't give up Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what you want to give up and what you don't. I am NOT giving up my wine at night and will work extra hard to make up the exercise or figure out what I want to give up in the day foodwise so I can have it. That's NOT alcoholism.

Say you like carrot cake...and ice cream. You are NOT going to give that up for anything because - well - you love the taste. Does that make you a carrot-cake-aholic? An ice-cream-a-holic? Gimme a break.

With weight loss (an althought I am losing SLOWLY, I am losing), if you have to give up something that you love to eat, you are not going to do very well. I always thought that it meant that I had to stop eating everything i loved (and i am not giving up what make sme happy). When i figured out it was a balance, I was better off. Ok...I want a glass of red wine - I can't mack down on chips before dinner. Weigh it - what do you want? If I want the wine, I cut myself some fresh veggies to snack on while I'm having the wine. (Before all of it meshed into one big food orgy - now I make a choice.)

Hang in there and feel free to add me as a friend. It's all good.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Do you have a problem with alcohol? If not, moderation. I still have a beer every now and then and if it fits into my daily allowance. I enjoy one with a good movie.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I also have a glass of wine if it fits into my daily allowance! A glass of Lambrusco is only 98 calories, and it is light enough to just sit and enjoy without feeling guilty. I think it's just up to you....you have calories left over and you want a drink, go for it! But if you are going over on your calories by drinking, then I can definitely see it causing a problem. :drinker:
  • jschwarz3531
    Options
    I have this same problem. It really has nothing to do with alcoholism- for me, it has more to do with being young and my social circle. I can (and often do) go all week without a drink but every time I go out with friends, it seems to be involved. We play in a darts league at a bar, two of my best friends work at a bar, watch football every sunday (usually at a bar), haha you get the point. Its hard because no one else seems to mind this, so it comes down to dealing with the constant temptation (and pushing from others-just like food pushers!) or staying home. Its a bummer sometimes! Lately I have been volunteering to be designated driver so I cant be tempted and I have a reason to tell others I am not drinking besides weight loss. Or i'll drink a seltzer with lime and say its vodka haha.
  • SaltFiend
    Options
    My entire social life revolves around alcohol- where I live this is pretty much all people do - meet up at the pub to catch up (drink), go to see bands play (drink), go to peoples houses for (drinks). I have one friend who doesn't drink - and he's the only person I hang out with that doesn't drink. -and by drinking- I mean binge drinking.

Being a non-drinker means either a) I don't get invited to things anymore or b)I get pressured heavily to drink. Not drinking basically takes away from my entire social life.

So there's the social side of it, and also that I do enjoy drinking.

I've cut back my drinking to one night a week - where I do still drink quite a lot, but I drink vodka with soda water - which is the lowest calorie drink i can find.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @saltfiend - i'm with you on the social side, Its always been part of my life, i used to binge drink and be horribly sick then i grew up a little bit but only after having kids and realising that they always get up at 6 am and they don't understand what a hangover is!

I like to have a vodka or few at the weekend still, always within my calories but I still enjoy it so i'm not giving it up completely.
  • elizabeth9474
    Options
    I understand the frustration too because being 28 years YOUNG, drinking socially is "what people do". I used to go out for dinner/drinks a few times a week - for the social aspect of it - not just to get a buzz. I've cut this back to just like on a Sat. night. And then I STILL account for every drink.

If I'm drinking beer, I put the caps in my pocket so I know what to log for the night :) Liquor I limit. But since a Select 55 has less than most liquor (and def. less $$ than liquor) I usually do that.

You can STILL have drinks in moderation. For instance tonight we're going downtown to a festival, I know I'll have a cpl of beers, so I am eating EXTRA healthy today. Baked fish/veggies, etc.
  • hanna541
    hanna541 Posts: 32
    Options
    beer is the one that made me gaine weight it gives u munchies lol not only that but it has alot of calories try 64 cal miller ligtht i actualy drank this last weekend for the first time since i started my slim fast diet and dident gaine weight just control your hunger when u get beer muchies cuse belive me u will get them. oh and wach how many of em u drink i drank about 8 or 9 lol and of course go to the gym the next day burn it off usaly when i go to the gym i burn a lil over 700 calories oh and dont know how to put this tickker thing on here mso please someone help

start weight 142
    goal weight 120
    now 134
    loss 8 pounds
    in 2 weeks and 3 days
  • hanna541
    hanna541 Posts: 32
    Options
    i could so realate to u i talk to ppl that they all drink doing something social means drinking also going to ppl house geting ivited somewher specialy in the spring and summer thows r days of drinking night lol. i know gym and all is a life time thing but i want to injoy my summer with the weight i want to be and just go to the gym the next day and burn off the beer or even bbq i ate. iam staying away from alcohol for now till i get wher i want to be i just look at it like iam a have a blast this spring and summer. beer could waite for now u should set a goal
  • musicboy9
    Options
    I totally agree, I'm 25 and I go see bands and go to peoples houses and my flat mates love drinking. When I tried to not drink for a month I basically saw no one and even my flat mates and I were kind of distant. Having a six pack is no fun if there is no one to show it too ;-) But really I guess it's just about balance. I found that Gin and Slim line Tonic is the lowest cal/carb option but it's not very sociable at a dinner party when everyone is drinking wine with their meal. I think it's unrealistic in your 20's and early 30's to not drink at social occasions at all but staying to spirits and away from beer and such makes a bid difference. It's NOT healthy but on days when I know I'm gonna have a big night out with mates I just eat less during the say so that the bad calories won't be as hi I try to stick to hi protein lo gi carb meals and have what I would have for dinner at lunch that way the pasta or sushi or whatever soaks up more of the alcohol. Drinking water in between each drink also cuts down the urge to binge out once you are drunk.

M
  • heinzle
    heinzle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nice to see I'm not the only one struggling with the alcohol! I love my red wine and can easily have 5 glasses in one sitting with no pain the next day. BUT that is 500 calories! I've decided to not drink at home and only when I go out to eat. That will limit caloric intake from alcohol significantly. I was reading something on-line that really put it in perspective for me. Ask yourself WHY do you want to drink those 4 glasses of wine? I really had no good reason except I looked forward to that moment throughout the day - it allowed me to relax. I realized last night that I could relax even better without the red wine because I can now lie down on the couch instead of sitting up. Very relaxing and now I don't have to work out as hard to make up for the excess calories. It's a win/win.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This definitely seems to be a common struggle. I haven't given up my wine or beer and have still managed to lose 6 pounds. My goal is to cut it out during the week and only have some on Saturdays which is date night. I like to have some Sunday when I watch shows but I may cut that out as well. I do log every drink as soon as I have it. Having the MFP app on my phone has been a life savver.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Careful with the tonic! It has about as much sugar as Coke!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Some people are so RUDE!!..The girl just asked a question didn't ask to be interagated....I too like to have a few beers or wine-I only do that on friday or saturday night now and leave my week for strong diet and excerise!..Booze does make me get loose with my food sometimes..but you have to live your life.....might as well enjoy it!...Peace to you!!