Is this healthy?

Options
I'm a male, 22, 5'7 and weigh a whopping 14.5 stones. My diet currently consists of low calorie, low carbs and very high protein intake. Around 800-1000 calories a day, 100-120g of protein and around 40g of carbs. The foods I eat mainly consists of fish, dairy produce, fruits and vegetables. I'm looking to lose around 2-3 stone to become slim in order to begin bodybuilding, and due to the way my body fat is distributed, I have started strength training on my biceps, triceps and forearms to become toned while I lose weight. I feel as though I will lose alot of weight on my current carb/calorie intake however I've read on here that this kind of diet only works for a short period of time, and then begins to slow down and stop, and that once you become slim (if you manage it) the weight comes right back on.

I feel though that 1000 calories is a decent amount for my size and despite some mild hunger pains I haven't felt drained or exhausted at all, although this is only my second week.

Does anybody have any tips for exercise also? I don't have the money to join a gym sadly, and all exercise is done at home with dumbbells and bars, but I'm also looking towards cardio workouts, but not sure what to do? I do not want to exercise outside of the house for a while as I'm embarrassed to do so at my current size.

Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No male should be eating that little. Why don't you put your stats into this calculator and let this calculator CALCULATE a reasonable calorie goal for you based on your stats and a reasonable rate of loss goal...personally, that's what I'd do.

I'm 5'10" and oldish male pushing 40 and I lost about 1 Lb per week grossing around 2100 - 2200 calories per day on average with my activity. Don't be foolish...what you're doing is absurd.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    You need to completely redo everything you're doing. There's so much wrong with your post that I don't want to even touch it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is nowhere near enough for your size. It's nowhere near enough for most petite, sedentary women. So no, it's not healthy.

You say you want to do bodybuilding.... too big a calorie deficit is likely to lead to loss of lean body mass, which is exactly what you *don't* want if you want to be a bodybuilder... you want to maintain your lean mass while losing only fat. You need to eat a lot more than 1000 cals/day to do that.

there's a thread on here "your guide on your path to sexypants" that has information about how to calculate the right number of calories for you, so you can lose just fat and not lean mass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, 1000 calories is not healthy.

why are you only training your arms?! train full body, you will look a LOT better when you lose the weight, trust me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to completely redo everything you're doing. There's so much wrong with your post that I don't want to even touch it.

:laugh:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would say that 1000 calories is WAY to low for someone your size. Yes you will absolutely lose weight with calories restricted this low but you are also going to lose alot of muscle right along with the fat. You should also be trying to get around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight so what you are getting now is about half of what you should be getting.

As far as your workout routine goes you should be doing everything you can to hold onto the muscle you have while in a deficit. That means working your whole body not just your arms. If you don't give your body a reason to hold onto the muscle you have it will readily use it for energy, especially in a severely limited deficit.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

why are you only training your arms?! train full body, you will look a LOT better when you lose the weight, trust me!

^^^ this too

you want to look like a bodybuilder. Eating 1000 cals/day and skipping leg day is not going to give you bodybuilder legs.

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength are good beginner programmes for building lean mass, greatly increasing strength and also for maintaining lean mass while eating at a deficit. You can go from that into intermediate bodybuilder programmes if that's your goal. But whatever you do, eat enough to fuel your body and workouts properly and never skip leg day.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1 and eating 1800 calories a day becouse I drive a truck so I do no physical activity at work. Having said that 1800 for a male is on the very low side. You may not be hungry becouse your body is in starvation mode making it near impossible to loose weight in a healthy way. For cardio I'm doing insanity it's awsome and I get the same rush as when lifting weights. If you don't have the money to spend on a dvd and don't know how to get it otherwise. Check out youtube there are tons of professional and amateur cardio routines.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

^^^ this too

you want to look like a bodybuilder. Eating 1000 cals/day and skipping leg day is not going to give you bodybuilder legs.

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength are good beginner programmes for building lean mass, greatly increasing strength and also for maintaining lean mass while eating at a deficit. You can go from that into intermediate bodybuilder programmes if that's your goal. But whatever you do, eat enough to fuel your body and workouts properly and never skip leg day.

If you have to ask...then no. It's not healthy.

I agree with neandermagnon.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "800-1000 calories a day." The answer to your question is no, it's not healthy.
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eat some food man and follow the links given above. I eat between 2000 and 2500 calories a day I'm 191 pound male and I lose weight. There is no need to starve yourself
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Eat some food man and follow the links given above. I eat between 2000 and 2500 calories a day I'm 191 pound male and I lose weight. There is no need to starve yourself

^^ Listen to this dude. According to his ticker, he clearly knows what he's doing. :)

My husband needs to eat 4000 calories per day in order to gain weight, and he's not even putting on a pound a week. He'd waste away on 1000 calories. You're going to lose A LOT of muscle eating that way.

Also, why the hell are you waiting to start strength training until the weight is off? That's just dumb - start now.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    MyProgressISYour1Proof Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Anyone else go to the profile? It says female....
  • Craigi_Craigo
    Options
    Damn that is alot of replies, wasn't expecting it. The problem is I have tried many things in the past to lose weight, and they've never worked. I don't understand how people are losing weight at 2000 calories a day, as that is a ton of meals when my main meal consists of 2 large portions of fish, and 300g of vegetables, and is only 350 calories.

I understand about protein intake, as my father was a bodybuilder and alot of his friends still are (he is starting again too), but cannot afford to take in any more at the moment as college is sapping the majority of my savings. My diet is:

9AM-11AM breakfast - 2 Múller Lights, 1 wholemeal roll with ham + lettuce (320 calories)

12AM - 2PM lunch - 1 can of tuna, 3 egg whites (180 calories)

5PM-7PM dinner - 2 portions of fish, 300g of vegetables (350 calories)

11PM-2AM night food - 3 egg whites, whole meal roll with cheese (200 calories)

Sometimes I don't eat at night, which is when my daily intake drops to around 800. I have of course considered training my entire body but not sure what the point is when I'm only taking in half the protein I should be should I want every muscle to benefit. This is why I'm looking for good ways to exercise cardio, however if it is beneficial to train everything on low protein intake, then how would you go about doing it?

Thanks.

PS: How do I change my profile to male? Did not even see the option when signing up.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1000kcal for an adult man? Not good man, not good... Especially if you want to become more active and start bodybuilding... As others advised do some research and find your TDEE to calculate your calorie needs.
    Regarding the training don't only focus on one group, bodybuilding is all about symmetry and you won't reach that by ignoring your body from the waist down. If you don't have any physical restrictions focus on compound moves that employ large number of muscle groups. This will also enable you to eat more as the muscles will be burning more energy.
    For cardio you could to some kettlebell exercise or some of those video training programs like Insanity.
    BUT!! Whatever training you chose to follow make sure your nutrition is on spot, otherwise you are just waiting your time and energy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No male should be eating that little. Why don't you put your stats into this calculator and let this calculator CALCULATE a reasonable calorie goal for you based on your stats and a reasonable rate of loss goal...personally, that's what I'd do.

I'm 5'10" and oldish male pushing 40 and I lost about 1 Lb per week grossing around 2100 - 2200 calories per day on average with my activity. Don't be foolish...what you're doing is absurd.
    Absurd is the right word here.

OP, read this. Follow this. Tweak (tweak, don't warp) as necessary:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is assuming you want to lose weight, be healthy, and look good for the long haul.
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Damn that is alot of replies, wasn't expecting it. The problem is I have tried many things in the past to lose weight, and they've never worked. I don't understand how people are losing weight at 2000 calories a day, as that is a ton of meals when my main meal consists of 2 large portions of fish, and 300g of vegetables, and is only 350 calories.

I understand about protein intake, as my father was a bodybuilder and alot of his friends still are (he is starting again too), but cannot afford to take in any more at the moment as college is sapping the majority of my savings. My diet is:

9AM-11AM breakfast - 2 Múller Lights, 1 wholemeal roll with ham + lettuce (320 calories)

12AM - 2PM lunch - 1 can of tuna, 3 egg whites (180 calories)

5PM-7PM dinner - 2 portions of fish, 300g of vegetables (350 calories)

11PM-2AM night food - 3 egg whites, whole meal roll with cheese (200 calories)

Sometimes I don't eat at night, which is when my daily intake drops to around 800. I have of course considered training my entire body but not sure what the point is when I'm only taking in half the protein I should be should I want every muscle to benefit. This is why I'm looking for good ways to exercise cardio, however if it is beneficial to train everything on low protein intake, then how would you go about doing it?

Thanks.

PS: How do I change my profile to male? Did not even see the option when signing up.

Say what now??? Since your only eating half your recommended protein then your only training half your body??? :laugh:
    If this a genuine post I'm sorry but you really need to take a step back and re-educate yourself in diet and exercise.

Up your carb levels too in order to eat more kcals, potatoes, rice etc. But I don't see how this is genuine after that reply.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Dear God, WHY do people think eating like a small child is the answer?

thumb.jpg
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No. Just no sorry that's all I got. You have to be feeling terrible.