Options
    The post indicates male.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Are you bored with that diet?
  • Craigi_Craigo
    Options
    Say what now??? Since your only eating half your recommended protein then your only training half your body??? :laugh:
    If this a genuine post I'm sorry but you really need to take a step back and re-educate yourself in diet and exercise.

Up your carb levels too in order to eat more kcals, potatoes, rice etc. But I don't see how this is genuine after that reply.

Yeah, I don't know much about dieting, I was always told carbs are bad? But I'll definately take note to take in more.
    Absurd is the right word here.

OP, read this. Follow this. Tweak (tweak, don't warp) as necessary:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is assuming you want to lose weight, be healthy, and look good for the long haul.

Thanks, somebody already posted links to the road map, 'sexy pants' and the guide to getting started, I'm reading through them at the minute.
    1000kcal for an adult man? Not good man, not good... Especially if you want to become more active and start bodybuilding... As others advised do some research and find your TDEE to calculate your calorie needs.
    Regarding the training don't only focus on one group, bodybuilding is all about symmetry and you won't reach that by ignoring your body from the waist down. If you don't have any physical restrictions focus on compound moves that employ large number of muscle groups. This will also enable you to eat more as the muscles will be burning more energy.
    For cardio you could to some kettlebell exercise or some of those video training programs like Insanity.
    BUT!! Whatever training you chose to follow make sure your nutrition is on spot, otherwise you are just waiting your time and energy.

I don't believe my TDEE is very high at all, although I think that if I start to work on more than a few muscle groups, that would change. The thing that I'm completely stuck on is nutrition, I'm eating on a budget here and not at all sure what's good. I eat good amounts of fruit and vegetables, intake alot of water, dairy foods, some carbs and fish/meat. Would it be a case of just eating more of it because I'm not sure what else I could add into it for variety.

What is better though, large meals spaced out or numerous small meals? Thanks.

Also, if you come in here to post some lame attempt at a witty one liner, or accuse me of being a troll, you just look like one yourself tbh.

And:
    no, 1000 calories is not healthy.

why are you only training your arms?! train full body, you will look a LOT better when you lose the weight, trust me!

^^^ this too

you want to look like a bodybuilder. Eating 1000 cals/day and skipping leg day is not going to give you bodybuilder legs.

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength are good beginner programmes for building lean mass, greatly increasing strength and also for maintaining lean mass while eating at a deficit. You can go from that into intermediate bodybuilder programmes if that's your goal. But whatever you do, eat enough to fuel your body and workouts properly and never skip leg day.

If you have to ask...then no. It's not healthy.

I agree with neandermagnon.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

These are amazing posts, thank you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is likely around 2500. Maybe less if you are totally sedentary. Don't eat below 1800.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For your weight of 202Lbs. and being young and male, 1000 is too low;; up it to 1500 and keep your intake of protein and fat high and carbs(healthy green, yellow, red vegetables) low. Alcohol will slow your progress.

Drink at least 8 glasses of h20 to flush kidneys of metabolic waste.

Losing weight and staying healthy is crucial :)
    Body building is great, but stay away from all the xxxxxxp
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a good starting point would be to EAT THE WHOLE EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Say what now??? Since your only eating half your recommended protein then your only training half your body??? :laugh:
    If this a genuine post I'm sorry but you really need to take a step back and re-educate yourself in diet and exercise.

Up your carb levels too in order to eat more kcals, potatoes, rice etc. But I don't see how this is genuine after that reply.

Yeah, I don't know much about dieting, I was always told carbs are bad? But I'll definately take note to take in more.
    Absurd is the right word here.

OP, read this. Follow this. Tweak (tweak, don't warp) as necessary:

This is assuming you want to lose weight, be healthy, and look good for the long haul.

Thanks, somebody already posted links to the road map, 'sexy pants' and the guide to getting started, I'm reading through them at the minute.
    1000kcal for an adult man? Not good man, not good... Especially if you want to become more active and start bodybuilding... As others advised do some research and find your TDEE to calculate your calorie needs.
    Regarding the training don't only focus on one group, bodybuilding is all about symmetry and you won't reach that by ignoring your body from the waist down. If you don't have any physical restrictions focus on compound moves that employ large number of muscle groups. This will also enable you to eat more as the muscles will be burning more energy.
    For cardio you could to some kettlebell exercise or some of those video training programs like Insanity.
    BUT!! Whatever training you chose to follow make sure your nutrition is on spot, otherwise you are just waiting your time and energy.

I don't believe my TDEE is very high at all, although I think that if I start to work on more than a few muscle groups, that would change. The thing that I'm completely stuck on is nutrition, I'm eating on a budget here and not at all sure what's good. I eat good amounts of fruit and vegetables, intake alot of water, dairy foods, some carbs and fish/meat. Would it be a case of just eating more of it because I'm not sure what else I could add into it for variety.

What is better though, large meals spaced out or numerous small meals? Thanks.

Also, if you come in here to post some lame attempt at a witty one liner, or accuse me of being a troll, you just look like one yourself tbh.

And:
    no, 1000 calories is not healthy.

why are you only training your arms?! train full body, you will look a LOT better when you lose the weight, trust me!

^^^ this too

you want to look like a bodybuilder. Eating 1000 cals/day and skipping leg day is not going to give you bodybuilder legs.

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength are good beginner programmes for building lean mass, greatly increasing strength and also for maintaining lean mass while eating at a deficit. You can go from that into intermediate bodybuilder programmes if that's your goal. But whatever you do, eat enough to fuel your body and workouts properly and never skip leg day.

If you have to ask...then no. It's not healthy.

I agree with neandermagnon.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

These are amazing posts, thank you.

You're welcome. Now please for the love of all that is holy start eating more food!

I'm 37 years old, 5'5", lift heavy 3x a week and eat 2000 calories a day.
  • Craigi_Craigo
    Options
    Your TDEE is likely around 2500. Maybe less if you are totally sedentary. Don't eat below 1800.

Thanks, the TDEE thing was confusing, 1500-1800 sounds reasonable intake?
    For your weight of 202Lbs. and being young and male, 1000 is too low;; up it to 1500 and keep your intake of protein and fat high and carbs(healthy green, yellow, red vegetables) low. Alcohol will slow your progress.

Drink at least 8 glasses of h20 to flush kidneys of metabolic waste.

Losing weight and staying healthy is crucial :)
    Body building is great, but stay away from all the xxxxxxp

Yeah I've gathered from the bashing in this thread that my calorie intake is dire, will work on that. Fat is good, but saturated is bad, carbs are ok and calories are important. I drink a ton of water and don't drink alchohol. by xxxxxxxp do you mean stuff like Whey Protein? I couldn't afford that if I wanted to lol. Thanks for the post, and I want to say to the people I haven't quoted, that I have read what everbody has posted and currently looking at the links, but unsure on what foods to enter into my diet.

ALSO TBH, if people think im trolling then fine, whatever, but my confidence on dieting is complete **** as it is, so don't really need to be called pathetic etc.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    So, your dad and his friends are bodybuilders, yet none of them seem to think that 1000 cals is too little for you? UNLESS you were doing some sort of kick-start rapid fat loss VLCD thing (which wouldn't apply to you), your protein intake alone would be around 750-800 cals/day. Throw in 20% of total intake in fat (70g/625cals) and enough carbs to sustain a training program and you're at a MINIMUM of 2000 cals/day. There is so much info available on a hundred different sites, did you really need to pose such an obviously obtuse question? All I can say is "Come on Man!" Do a little research on your own. Want to be a bodybuilder? Ever hear of Bodybuilding.com? Really, man? It IS kind of a silly question after all....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Try giving this a read. It's a good general guide to what you should be eating (in general, slight modifications may be necessary for the body building part).

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/food-guide-aliment/view_eatwell_vue_bienmang-eng.pdf
  • Craigi_Craigo
    Options

You're welcome. Now please for the love of all that is holy start eating more food!

I'm 37 years old, 5'5", lift heavy 3x a week and eat 2000 calories a day.

I will :p shall look up foods now thank you.
    So, your dad and his friends are bodybuilders, yet none of them seem to think that 1000 cals is too little for you? UNLESS you were doing some sort of kick-start rapid fat loss VLCD thing (which wouldn't apply to you), your protein intake alone would be around 750-800 cals/day. Throw in 20% of total intake in fat (70g/625cals) and enough carbs to sustain a training program and you're at a MINIMUM of 2000 cals/day. There is so much info available on a hundred different sites, did you really need to pose such an obviously obtuse question? All I can say is "Come on Man!" Do a little research on your own. Want to be a bodybuilder? Ever hear of Bodybuilding.com? Really, man? It IS kind of a silly question after all....

Well a kick start VLCD is what I was doing but obviously from this topic thats a mistake, but why wouldn't it apply to me? being short and 14.6 stone I'm fat as ****, can't ever imagine how 2000 calories would allow me to lose weight, I've never eaten much more than that when I'm not dieting and here I am, researching atm though thank you, a friend suggested Bodybuilding.com but the response in here is what I thought I'd get over there, which is why I chose to post here lol. Sound advice tho man thanks.
    Try giving this a read. It's a good general guide to what you should be eating (in general, slight modifications may be necessary for the body building part).

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/food-guide-aliment/view_eatwell_vue_bienmang-eng.pdf

Thanks, always looked at stuff like cheese though and thought it'd just make me fatter :/ hmm, 8 servings of fruit/veg, 8 servings of grain, 2 dairy and 3 servings of meat sounds good. But it's getting all this stuff that may be an issue.

A general question tho that hopefully somebody will answer, is that does it matter really how well spaced meals are?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Thanks, the TDEE thing was confusing, 1500-1800 sounds reasonable intake?

1800 or over is a reasonable intake. NOT 1500.

You are 22 years old and male, your metabolism is naturally higher than women or people who are older. Your body needs fuel and nutrients, especially if you have training goals.
  • Craigi_Craigo
    Options
    1800 or over is a reasonable intake. NOT 1500.

You are 22 years old and male, your metabolism is naturally higher than women or people who are older. Your body needs fuel and nutrients, especially if you have training goals.

1800 then :p going to up exercise to 45 minutes everyday instead of 3 times a week and bump calories up to 1.8k, thanks for the help, and thank you to everyone.
  • allie12879
    Options
    I'm shorter, older (and rounder than you) and I don't even eat that few calories!!! I would say definitely recalculate your calorie intake. You do want a deficit, but not that much when you're exercising the way you are. I would also say balance is key - not an overabundance of one thing or the other. A good balance of carbs, protein, and fats (healthy ones...there is such a thing) is a good way to get to the goal you set. I used to think protein heavy dieting was the way to go, but I was SO wrong. Do some research. I've since balanced my diet and lost 12 more pounds. I think you need a HUGE reevaluation of where you are and what foods you're eating. Everyone's posts about men needing more calories than women (because of the metabolism difference) is spot on. As a woman, I eat 1220 calories a day. Boost your intake, you'll boost your metabolism and you'll be healthy. Skinny is NOT healthy.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    First rule of MFP - some people are mean, or rather they can be pretty blunt. Its always worth doing a little bit of research before asking a question to avoid getting your *kitten* handed to you.

When you enter your dets into MFP what daily goal does it set you? This would probably be a good place to start,

then use this as someone else has posted - don't automatically go for 2lbs a week - I think from what you have said 1lb loss a week might it.

make sure you log everything including your exercise & most people advise eating back your exercise calories -although I have seen many people say they don't. Its a pretty good app and is definately worth giving it a go following the goals it sets based on the info you have entered, you can always tweak it once you have given it a week or 2.

Feel free to send me a FR, happy to help with any non- judgemental advice. Not that I know anything about body building but doing ok on the weight loss so far ( 3 months in)

Good luck with it!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    A general question tho that hopefully somebody will answer, is that does it matter really how well spaced meals are?
    For weight loss, not at all. The only thing that is affected by meal timing is how you feel. Some people just generally perform better if they eat smaller meals more often, whereas others are fine with fewer, bigger meals. Figure out what works best for your body and your work/school schedule, and do that.

Just for reference, because a lot of people have skewed perceptions about what a "normal" caloric intake is -- I'm 5'4", older than you, 128 pounds and a girl, and I lose on 2000. I'm thinking about going down to 1800 for a few weeks, but I'll be whining like a little kid with a skinned knee the whole time. If I tried to live on 1000, I'd either be chewing paint off the walls or killing people.

The goal should be to eat as much food as possible while still losing weight, not to survive on the bare minimum you possibly can. Think about it this way: as you get lighter, you're probably going to have to drop your intake at least once. If you start at 1000, where would you go?

If you drop your calories too low, you WILL lose muscle mass. Dude, you're 22, male and just starting to lift -- you have a GOLDEN opportunity to strip off some fat while keeping all the muscle you have. Don't waste it by starving yourself.