ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Take photos NOW

Take them again in 4 weeks

Should see a difference then
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you putting on the barbell? How deep are you going? Olympic or powerlifting stance?

I'm not the strongest person ever so I'm sticking with around 30-45lbs

after 5 months you should be doing 135-180lbs on your squat. Do you have some large health issue causing a problem?

Don't listen to this.

By all means... Add a bunch of other extra exercises as a beginner and never get strong.

Right so you are saying by supplementing her squats with other exercises even a compound one like deadlifts she won't get stronger? When I said don't listen to you I meant people should not be pressured to be at a certain weight by a certain timeframe as everyone is different, your advice was dangerous.

You only need to supplement with assistance exercises when you are strong enough to start to get sticking points. And also more advanced that you can handle extra volume.

In the absence of a physical limitation that needs addressing (which was what he was asking) then she should have been progressively adding weight to the bar. If she isn't, she's not eliciting a training response and won't force a strength adaptation. Adding in extra stuff on top creates extra volume a beginner doesn't need (and likely can't handle if the weights on the extra stuff are sufficient to elicit any meaningful training response).

ETA I won't say she should be lifting X lbs by now, because these things are fuzzy, but she should be adding weight in a progressive manner according to the dictates of her programme. However, it sounds like she isn't actually on a programme as such. So something progressive and sane like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine would be the thing to get on.

Actually he was suggesting that she needs to be lifting a certain weight by a certain timeframe and if she isn't she must have something wrong with her, which is a dangerous thing to say.

So really you aren't disagreeing with me, you are agreeing with me and adding points that don't add anything because I have already made some of those points in another post and so have others so I didn't bother adding them. As for adding the other exercises, she was asking about making her booty look a certain way, squats alone is not how you do that. She is not looking for strength training but for a certain looking butt, however, yes she does need to increase, putting a set weight on what she MUST be at in a timeframe is dangerous and can cause injury if she doesn't have her form right, not to mention some people just aren't that strong.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The weight you use has to gradually increase. Pointless squatting the same weight from now until the end of time!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you putting on the barbell? How deep are you going? Olympic or powerlifting stance?

after 5 months you should be doing 135-180lbs on your squat. Do you have some large health issue causing a problem?

Don't listen to this.

By all means... Add a bunch of other extra exercises as a beginner and never get strong.

Right so you are saying by supplementing her squats with other exercises even a compound one like deadlifts she won't get stronger? When I said don't listen to you I meant people should not be pressured to be at a certain weight by a certain timeframe as everyone is different, your advice was dangerous.

You only need to supplement with assistance exercises when you are strong enough to start to get sticking points. And also more advanced that you can handle extra volume.

In the absence of a physical limitation that needs addressing (which was what he was asking) then she should have been progressively adding weight to the bar. If she isn't, she's not eliciting a training response and won't force a strength adaptation. Adding in extra stuff on top creates extra volume a beginner doesn't need (and likely can't handle if the weights on the extra stuff are sufficient to elicit any meaningful training response).

ETA I won't say she should be lifting X lbs by now, because these things are fuzzy, but she should be adding weight in a progressive manner according to the dictates of her programme. However, it sounds like she isn't actually on a programme as such. So something progressive and sane like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine would be the thing to get on.

Not going to get into it, but adding in glutes-focused accessories and core work only made my squats stats go up. Kind of like how adding in machine-based chest press negatives upped my bench by almost 10% in a couple of weeks. Sticking to the basics for the first few months is more about getting form right and learning proper technique than increasing the weights at a rapid rate. Form first, stats second. Obviously, doing too much can have a negative impact, but it isn't why a person should stick to just the basics in the beginning. Form is the reason.

Strength is a skill.

Learning the right form is learning to fire the right muscles most completely. More efficient neuro-muscular stimulation. You get that by drilling the movement (correctly, I grant you) and increasing the load.

To be clear, i'm not saying that she should be squatting X lbs in Y timeframe. That was another poster. I am responding to 2 issues. 1) She doesn't seem to be increasing/progressing. In the absence of a physical limitation, I suggest she isn't actually on a well-designed programme. Getting on one would fix this. 2) Throwing a bunch of random exercises towards a beginner - who, let's be clear, we know nothing about - is bonkers. Thousands of people the world over got strong at squatting by squatting before BC ever made glutes trendy. Not to say they won't help, but fixing her squat would be better than introducing something else she could just as well not load/progress correctly.

Not disagreeing with you entirely. I think my lack of coffee resulted in talking past you more than anything (as I think you regularly offer excellent advice in these forums). It is silly to say that she should be squatting X pounds by a certain day. I also agree she should stick to a basics program until her form is spot on. I don't agree that squats will build a butt. Squats will strengthen everything below the shoulders, but it isn't a glutes-dominant exercise. Foot placement plays a big role in how the glutes are targeted in squats.

I don't think BC made glutes trendy. Glutes are glutes. Rappers were writing songs about them when BC was still in diapers.

New Rules of Lifting is not a program I recommend because there are too many accessories and not enough focus on the basics and form. Starting Strength is much better in that regard. However, if a goal is to get a nice butt, then adding in glute bridges or hip thrusts and making that part of a regular 5x5 program is not going to impact overall strength and is not going to interfere with developing proper form for the other lifts.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping on the deadlift train. Those things are amazing! They've done wonders for my glutes AND my upper body too (and I'm only up to 145 atm). Squats have helped some, but with bad form comes tight hips and most of the work hits your quads instead. IF it hasn't been mentioned yet, check out Strong Curves - it's all about getting a perky booty and you can adjust it to the equipment you have on hand.
  • CharleePear
    Options
    No advice given yet, only a qualifying question asked before suggesting a program. Whats dangerous is suggesting exercises without assessing physical limitations.

And only bar weight after months indicates a problem- medical, form, or even attitude. It needs assessment first.

Yes she needs a programme, this is why she is here.

If you read her posts she is lifting 35-40lbs not including bar after a month, that's actually pretty good for some people.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    No advice given yet, only a qualifying question asked before suggesting a program. Whats dangerous is suggesting exercises without assessing physical limitations.

And only bar weight after months indicates a problem- medical, form, or even attitude. It needs assessment first.

^This.

We need to know more. Just randomly shouting "deadlifts" (or something), without regard to the trainee's existing form, expectations, attitude, workout frequency, loading, volume, etc is unhelpful, at best. And, detrimental at worst.
  • CharleePear
    Options

New Rules of Lifting is not a program I recommend because there are too many accessories and not enough focus on the basics and form. Starting Strength is much better in that regard. However, if a goal is to get a nice butt, then adding in glute bridges or hip thrusts and making that part of a regular 5x5 program is not going to impact overall strength and is not going to interfere with developing proper form for the other lifts.

Well put and your non coffee brain is better than my late at night one.
  • CharleePear
    Options

^This.

We need to know more. Just randomly shouting "deadlifts" (or something), without regard to the trainee's existing form, expectations, attitude, workout frequency, loading, volume, etc is unhelpful, at best. And, detrimental at worst.

Definitely agree, but this is a forum, not a medical clinic and we can not see her form nor diagnose her. She didn't give us any injuries or medical conditions, people who have them usually say they have them, but I do agree, a program is best, but her question was strictly about glutes and booty shape, obviously so many differing opinions on what to do on that, perhaps you should PM her and suggest something personally if you think you can help.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My goal is to just get more toned..

Being "toned" is simply having a reasonable amount of muscle mass shown off by sufficiently low body fat.

Squats (or any progressive resistance based exercise in reality) will help with the muscle mass bit (or at least preserving what you currently have because to fulfil the other part of the equation - low enough body fat - requires a calorie deficit which means you will not build any appreciable muscle whilst dieting.)

So, check your diet and quite realistically check your expectations.
  • SamSal02
    SamSal02 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have a whole circuit that I so. I have a bad knee (broke my tibia at the plateau and tore my medial meniscus playing football). The most important thing EVER is PROPER FORM. Without that, You will not get the results you are looking for and could very well cause yourself injury.

When squatting: CHEST up and shoulders set. Squat and let your hips move back (stick that butt out!) All your weight should sit in your HEELS. Push through your heels to stand...and literally pinch your butt cheeks together at the stand up.

that only works a specific muscle group, and your Glutes are a composition of many muscles. Dead lifts will help the lower back (trust me...you want that). Lunges are a great exercise for the lower but...the area where your thigh and butt meet. Working and toning THAT area is what gives your but that "lifted" look.

Also...get on your hands and knees. lift one leg and kick out to the side at a slightly higher angle. You will feel these all over.

As with any fitness routine...one single exercise will not give you ideal results.

Good Luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this.

Not going to get into it, but adding in glutes-focused accessories and core work only made my squats stats go up. Kind of like how adding in machine-based chest press negatives upped my bench by almost 10% in a couple of weeks. Sticking to the basics for the first few months is more about getting form right and learning proper technique than increasing the weights at a rapid rate. Form first, stats second. Obviously, doing too much can have a negative impact, but it isn't why a person should stick to just the basics in the beginning. Form is the reason.

Strength is a skill.

Learning the right form is learning to fire the right muscles most completely. More efficient neuro-muscular stimulation. You get that by drilling the movement (correctly, I grant you) and increasing the load.

To be clear, i'm not saying that she should be squatting X lbs in Y timeframe. That was another poster. I am responding to 2 issues. 1) She doesn't seem to be increasing/progressing. In the absence of a physical limitation, I suggest she isn't actually on a well-designed programme. Getting on one would fix this. 2) Throwing a bunch of random exercises towards a beginner - who, let's be clear, we know nothing about - is bonkers. Thousands of people the world over got strong at squatting by squatting before BC ever made glutes trendy. Not to say they won't help, but fixing her squat would be better than introducing something else she could just as well not load/progress correctly.

Not disagreeing with you entirely. I think my lack of coffee resulted in talking past you more than anything (as I think you regularly offer excellent advice in these forums). It is silly to say that she should be squatting X pounds by a certain day. I also agree she should stick to a basics program until her form is spot on. I don't agree that squats will build a butt. Squats will strengthen everything below the shoulders, but it isn't a glutes-dominant exercise. Foot placement plays a big role in how the glutes are targeted in squats.

I don't think BC made glutes trendy. Glutes are glutes. Rappers were writing songs about them when BC was still in diapers.

Lol! I don't think we're disagreeing.

I think that BC could be the very thing she needs.

That is, recommend her a sane programme that fits with her chosen goals (obviously BC has these). A much smarter approach than chucking in everything and the kitchen sink on top of her unknown programming.

I agree that 5x5 can include glute work without detriment, but it has to be included intelligently. I'm not sure I've seen an intelligent suggestion of integration (load, volume, frequency) into her unknown programming yet!

Squats are one piece of a puzzle that can build a set of glutes. But we don't know what the other pieces of her puzzle are yet.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Yeah, squats work. Do low bar-barbell squats. Increase 5 lbs when you can. Squeeze your *kitten* 100% throughout the lift. Hit parallel and come back up. Get up to 135 lbs, and I guarantee your butt will look better.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    I'm jumping on the deadlift train. Those things are amazing! They've done wonders for my glutes AND my upper body too (and I'm only up to 145 atm). Squats have helped some, but with bad form comes tight hips and most of the work hits your quads instead. IF it hasn't been mentioned yet, check out Strong Curves - it's all about getting a perky booty and you can adjust it to the equipment you have on hand.

checking out Strong Curves now :) Thanks love!!
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Wide stance *kitten* to grass squats will help but you should be relying on them. Do some kick back exercises or exercises that only target your glutes not your whole body.