ARE SAUNA SUITS REALLY HELPFUL?

Options
I started my diet on Monday, I weighed about 332. This past 3 days I been walking 3-4 Miles everyday using my sauna suit, I drink 4 bottle of waters at work then 1 bottle of water for every mile I walk (so around 8 or 9 bottles a day of 500ml). This morning (Wednesday) when I weighed myself I was at 328.

I know that sauna suits make you loose a lot of water weight but I think I been keeping my water at a good level, right?

also for the first 2 weeks of dieting people usually loose weight fast because its mainly liquids, so is using a sauna suit kinda like a shortcut??

*I weighted myself every morning before breakfast*

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No. They will help you sweat, so any weight loss is temproaray, as you replace that as soon as you drink water. Waste of effort, I'm afraid!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    No, it just makes you more uncomfortable.

Remember that fat loss happens from eating fewer calories, and burning more calories by being more active. There are no tricks.

Yes, the water is fine. What is this "diet" that you're doing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Sauna suits DON'T accelerate fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ocarrasco90
    Options
    not a specific diet, just keeping carbs and calorie count, and walking 3-4 miles everyday... so then using the sauna suit vs not using it makes no difference what so ever???
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You'll sweat more... that's about it.

Drink lots of water, your body won't want to hold on to as much if you do.
  • ocarrasco90
    Options
    No. They will help you sweat, so any weight loss is temproaray, as you replace that as soon as you drink water. Waste of effort, I'm afraid!

I've been drinking 16 cups of water every day, I've used the sauna suit for 3 days in a row and I don't feel dehydrated....
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: sauna suits provide no benefit for dropping the weight you want to lose (fat) while putting you at risk for dehydration, overheating, and heat exhaustion. So you get additional risks for no reward.
  • ocarrasco90
    Options
    Think of it this way: sauna suits provide no benefit for dropping the weight you want to lose (fat) while putting you at risk for dehydration, overheating, and heat exhaustion. So you get additional risks for no reward.

I find it hard to believe they have no benefit what so ever, I've read multiple websites that say the contrary but there is equal amount of website that say they don't work... I have access to a database with academic peer-reviewed articles but I couldn't find any articles that talked about sauna suits.

BTW I only use the top not the whole suit, I think the whole suit would be too much.

In regards to dehydration, I've been drink around 16 cups of water, plus other fluids during breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've used it for 3 days and I don't feel any dehydration symptoms.

overheating; I use it at night when the weather is around 95F and I only use the top of the suit for around 1hr and I drink 3 bottles of water (500ml) while I have it on.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Asks a question looking for input, doesn't get input they like (even though it's true), then tries to validate the usage they asked for input on.

MFP, please don't ever change.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I find it hard to believe they have no benefit what so ever, I've read multiple websites that say the contrary but there is equal amount of website that say they don't work... I have access to a database with academic peer-reviewed articles but I couldn't find any articles that talked about sauna suits.

BTW I only use the top not the whole suit, I think the whole suit would be too much.

In regards to dehydration, I've been drink around 16 cups of water, plus other fluids during breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've used it for 3 days and I don't feel any dehydration symptoms.

overheating; I use it at night when the weather is around 95F and I only use the top of the suit for around 1hr and I drink 3 bottles of water (500ml) while I have it on.

You find it hard to believe that something that just makes you sweat doesn't somehow magically get involved in the metabolic processes of the human body where fat storage and loss are concerned.

There's a reason you didn't find any peer reviewed studies about this because every scientist that's involved in metabolic research already knows that fads like this have no effect.

No, they don't work for fat loss, just water loss.
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I dont think you'll see any weight loss from just wearing the suit. Its help you sweat - that's eat. Proper diet and exercise will be key.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    tin-man.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If exercising in heat helped aid fat loss, all gyms would be heated. People living in the sun belt would be slimmer. We wouldn't even have to exercise, we could just sit in a sauna and the fat would melt off. Or raise our house thermostats. Or take some hot baths. It just doesn't make sense.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Were these websites telling you they worked selling them by any chance? Also if you didn't want an answer that you didn't agree with why did you ask?
  • ocarrasco90
    Options
    Asks a question looking for input, doesn't get input they like (even though it's true), then tries to validate the usage they asked for input on.

I'm not validating anything, I do understand that is mainly liquid that I am loosing, but raising the body temperature must have some other effects, not necessarily fat loss... may be better blood flow or something outside of loosing fat...
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Pure water loss..no benefit and unless your cutting to make a temporary weight for sport what's the point? it will come back as soon as you reintroduce fluids...It's SWEAT what do you think the benefit could possibly be, when you say its hard to believe there is no benefit?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Why did you ask the question if you're only going to believe what you believe and disregard anything to the contrary?! :huh:
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options

I'm not validating anything, I do understand that is mainly liquid that I am loosing, but raising the body temperature must have some other effects, not necessarily fat loss... may be better blood flow or something outside of loosing fat...
    Suana suits do NOT cause fat loss in anyway shape or form...better blood flow? WTH!? You seem lost and sound pretty silly
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

The reason your academic database couldn't pull up articles about sauna suits is because the idea is too preposterous to even generate a hypothesis on. Unless you're Dr. Oz.

Here's some support - get the lime green suit. If you're gonna do this, at least try to look like you don't take yourself too seriously.