Any tips on upping protein without fat? (Vegetarian!)

Options
Hi there. I am a vegetarian with about 10 pounds to lose.

I am really struggling to increase protein without increasing fat!

My nutrition ratio is consistently around 45% carb, 40% fat and 15% protein. Trouble is, everthing vegetarian with protein seems to be fatty too (nuts etc) and there is only so much protein one can eat!

A typical day for me looks a bit like this:

Breakfast: 0% greek yoghurt with a sliced banana

Lunch: Salad/rocket leaves with low fat houmous, vegetable couscous and usually a spoonful of some sort of mediterranean vegetable pasta salad.

Dinner: Tofu/quorn with veggies and sometimes rice/jacket potato

Snacks: Falafel, quorn scotch eggs, nuts.

Help!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, Spinach, Peas, . . .
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you're eating eggs then your best bet is to eat a large plate of egg whites. There are few foods with that much concentrated protein. That said, you do need fat. That and tofu but egg whites are your better choice.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, do you do fish?
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    peanut butter but it does have some fat.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    White beans, soybeans (many forms), miso, kidney beans, split peas, navy beans, lentils, etc.

Beans.
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    Thanks - I will try the eggs! I love peanut butter but sadly that seems to blow my fat allowances. I don't eat fish :(
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Seitan
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Can you use a protein powder? They come in vegetarian and vegan (a bit rarer) varieties. You can mix it in with anything if you get the unflavoured kind.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am a vegetarian with about 10 pounds to lose.

I am really struggling to increase protein without increasing fat!

My nutrition ratio is consistently around 45% carb, 40% fat and 15% protein. Trouble is, everthing vegetarian with protein seems to be fatty too (nuts etc) and there is only so much protein one can eat!

A typical day for me looks a bit like this:

Breakfast: 0% greek yoghurt with a sliced banana

Lunch: Salad/rocket leaves with low fat houmous, vegetable couscous and usually a spoonful of some sort of mediterranean vegetable pasta salad.

Dinner: Tofu/quorn with veggies and sometimes rice/jacket potato

Snacks: Falafel, quorn scotch eggs, nuts.

Help!

Hemp Hearts - 30 grams would give you 10 grams of protein, 13 grams of fat, 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of carbs. Add to your yogurt with the banana, or add to your salad etc.

I bought a large bag from Costco for $14.99
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods will have plenty of vegetarian and vegan options for protein powders from peas and rice with very little fat. I think you will always get a little fat in those though. It helps you process it better anyway.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm not clear on why you are afraid to add fat when there are lots of good fats, that are actually beneficial, such as nuts and nut butters.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    In for the soybeans.

Seriously, roasted edamame is delicious.
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options
    Protein powders, Quest bars...
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What about Spirulina powder from Holland and Barrett? I put it in with smoothies and also put kale into my smoothies too.

Also try adding kidney beans to your salads.

I also find it hard to get to MFP recommendations of protein, I think it's quite high.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Try a whey protein supplement.
    I recommend Trutein by Body Nutrition.

It is so smooth and incredibly delicious~
    Mix of whey/casein/egg whites.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious to know about the fat thing. I don't count my fat grams at all but just focus on where they're coming from. So obvs don't go fry everything up, but don't get hung up on it.

I'd also just consider eating a little fish now and again while you're losing weight. That's what I did and it sped things along so well. Just food for thought.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Beans. And they are full of fiber.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I'd also just consider eating a little fish now and again while you're losing weight. That's what I did and it sped things along so well. Just food for thought.

What plant do fish come from? Lol
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You could try goat milk products. This has the added benefit of being calorie friendly and also helps you consume the recommended 150 mcg of iodine in addition to the associated minerals the body needs on a daily basis. Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury's stock the milk and cheese. Tesco here does full fat, semi and skimmed varieties.

Ten lb may take longer than you hope, all the best
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Lentils